• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

Give it a rest there Heaten, youre bordering on Eva levels now...

When has Eva ever blamed losing on fighting??
Heaten, seems diabolically intent on denying every Cup winning team has had a higher coefficient of fighters than the losing teams (I challenge anyone to look it up).
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#62 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Great game by the boys, good to see Tvrdon scoring. He's got good size, and hopefully one day he develops into another Franzen, that's the sort of player he projects to be.

Hopefully he is better than Franzen who is injury prone and a *****.

#63 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

Heaten, seems diabolically intent on denying every Cup winning team has had a higher coefficient of fighters than the losing teams (I challenge anyone to look it up).

No I know Eva hasnt.. I meant that Heaten is bordering on obsessive, annoying posts on one subject, much like eva does

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#64 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

Who was the great fighter that carried the 2007/08 Red Wings to the Stanley Cup? Downey? Lol. He didn't even play in the playoffs? Drake? He's not an enforcer. Lilja? JUST LOL!!!!!1

The correct answer would be NO ONE.

Guess that throws a monkey wrench in your theory, huh.

No I know Eva hasnt.. I meant that Heaten is bordering on obsessive, annoying posts on one subject, much like eva does

Yes, because people have this crazy belief there's more to hockey than being goons.

As already proven, Red Wings don't need a bunch of mindless goons to win stanley cups. Fighting is, for the most part, is for fan entertainment only and testosterone. I enjoy watching Henrik Zetterberg score a buzzer beater at 3/10s of a second left in the game, or Datsuyk dipsy doodle by a forward and two defensemen than watching some random fight that has very little purpose in the game.

If I want to watch fighting, I'll just watch boxing or WWF. But I don't, I come to watch hockey.

#65 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

Apparently there are only two types of hockey player: Skilled and Goon!

And obviously anyone who thinks the Wings could use a little more snarl is in favor of trading Zetterberg and Datsyuk for Parros and Godard.

Edited by egroen, 14 September 2011 - 01:17 PM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#66 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Quit being a *****. What are you going to propose next, getting rid of flopping in the NBA?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#67 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Apparently there are only two types of hockey player: Skilled and Goon!

And obviously anyone who thinks the Wings could use a little more snarl is in favor of trading Zetterberg and Datsyuk for Parros and Godard.

Exactly. We've got a couple guyys like Smith and Callahan coming up who can provide that snarl and play regular minutes hopefully but Heaten thinks they should soften up and not ever fight or play like they always have just in case they might get hurt.

Thats just stupid. These are the guys you win cups with.

And Heaten noone said mindless goons carried Detroit in 08, but if you dont think that team was by far the toughest in the playoffs Detroit has iced post lockout, you are a moron

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#68 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

Fighting is yucky and rude. So is hitting and swearing. Dress a team of finesse players and see how far they get. Dress a team of goons and see how far they get. Dress a team with a good blend of finesse and grit and you're on the right track. How many times do we need to go over this?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#69 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Exactly. We've got a couple guyys like Smith and Callahan coming up who can provide that snarl and play regular minutes hopefully but Heaten thinks they should soften up and not ever fight or play like they always have just in case they might get hurt.

Thats just stupid. These are the guys you win cups with.

And Heaten noone said mindless goons carried Detroit in 08, but if you dont think that team was by far the toughest in the playoffs Detroit has iced post lockout, you are a moron

Callahan may never play an NHL game with the Detroit Red Wings. Smith will be the type of player you want on the ice to help win games and score goals instead of sitting in the penalty box...

Fighting is overrated.

#70 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Callahan may never play an NHL game with the Detroit Red Wings. Smith will be the type of player you want on the ice to help win games and score goals instead of sitting in the penalty box...

Fighting is overrated.

Surely you mean stop goals? :blink:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#71 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:05 PM

Surely you mean stop goals? :blink:

No, I mean score goals. Smith isn't very good defensivenly. I'd call his defensive skills below average, his main asset is he's a scoring machine. He's also known to take dumb penalties.

He will get better defensively, but right now he's got a ways to go...

#72 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

:caution:

Fighting is overrated.

callahan has the tools to make it 2 the NHL, he was one of our best prospects in juniors last season.

#73 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

Fighting is overrated.

Why are you trying to make an argument out of nothing in this thread?

It was stated that both fights were a result of players standing up for their teammates, and posters applauded that effort. Has it been so long since an enforcer debate that you had to make this one, or are you so against standing up for your teammates that you have to accost everyone here who saw the fights as a positive sign?

#74 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

:caution:

callahan has the tools to make it 2 the NHL, he was one of our best prospects in juniors last season.

Love when people post that image to try to reinforce their strawman argument. In your world every young prospect with tools that had one good junior season is a LOCK to play on the Detroit Red Wings? Nice! However, there were a lot of 'failed' prospects from years past who didn't get that memo. How does that work?

Edited by Heaten, 14 September 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#75 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Love when people post that image to try to reinforce their strawman argument. In your world every young prospect with tools that had one good junior season is a LOCK to play on the Detroit Red Wings? Nice! However, there were a lot of 'failed' prospects from years past who didn't get that memo. How does that work?

Though playing well in Juniors is usually a better sign than not playing well.

There have been a few posters on this board who would love to see a team of goons iced by the Wings, but they are not here anymore - go chase them down if that is the argument you are looking for.

The rest of us believe it is beneficial to have a few players on the team willing and able to give a beatdown when smaller players are being run. That's it.

#76 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Though playing well in Juniors is usually a better sign than not playing well.

There have been a few posters on this board who would love to see a team of goons iced by the Wings, but they are not here anymore - go chase them down if that is the argument you are looking for.

The rest of us believe it is beneficial to have a few players on the team willing and able to give a beatdown when smaller players are being run. That's it.

Why would someone need to chase any anyone for a hockey discussions? That makes no sense.

I'm just praising the Red Wings organization for building playoff teams each and every year. Holland realizes the team doesn't need fighters to win. In fact, the Red Wings enforcer is typically the power play. I endorse their philosophy because it works. For example, the guy who say Smith can fight... well good. But when he's on the top 4, we need him to quarter back the power play, not sitting in the box. I prefer winning games, not beating the s*** out of other players.

Red Wings, as is, is tough enough with fighters. Bertuzzi, Abby, Ericsson... they don't need to fight 3 times per game, but 1 or 3 times per year *if* needed. Wings don't need to fight to fight, they need to win games and go to the SCFs and try to win cups.

#77 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Fighting is overrated.

Yeah Brendan Smith may never play and NHL game either. Fact of the matter is the wings brass has stated they think Callahan is likely an NHL player and has at least a good skillset to make it on the 4th line someday.

Callahan is much more likely to make the NHL than Pulkkinen but I bet you wouldnt agree

And just curious, if the wings dont think they need to toughen up a bit, why would they take the player (Callahan) who was one fight away from setting the WHL record for most fights by a rookie instead of going for some homerun late round skilled pick?

Edited by newfy, 14 September 2011 - 04:34 PM.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#78 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

Yeah Brendan Smith may never play and NHL game either. Fact of the matter is the wings brass has stated they think Callahan is likely an NHL player and has at least a good skillset to make it on the 4th line someday.

Callahan is much more likely to make the NHL than Pulkkinen but I bet you wouldnt agree

And just curious, if the wings dont think they need to toughen up a bit, why would they take the player (Callahan) who was one fight away from setting the WHL record for most fights by a rookie instead of going for some homerun late round skilled pick?

If Smith doesn't make the NHL then someone needs to be fired.

Pulkkinen (who you claim is less likely to make the NHL over Callahan) was drafted 4th overall, while Callahan was drafted 6th overall. I guess Red Wings scouting team have their priorities in place and see things slightly different than you do. It doesn't matter what I think, the pro scouts understand things better than both of us.

Callahan was a 6th overall pick, when you get that far down, its a flip of the coin and calculated luck/hope.

By the way, wasn't Callahan a healthy scratch just a couple days ago? Mhmmmmmmmmm.....

#79 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

Pulkkinen (who you claim is less likely to make the NHL over Callahan) was drafted 4th overall, while Callahan was drafted 6th overall. I guess Red Wings scouting team have their priorities in place and see things slightly different than you do. It doesn't matter what I think, the pro scouts understand things better than both of us.

Callahan was a 6th overall pick, when you get that far down, its a flip of the coin and calculated luck/hope.

By the way, wasn't Callahan a healthy scratch just a couple days ago? Mhmmmmmmmmm.....

Detroit must have done some incredibly impressive trades to maintain the roster they have now whilst also obtaining the number 4 and number 6 overall pick. That must have been some draft. Three first round picks! :hehe:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#80 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

If Smith doesn't make the NHL then someone needs to be fired.

Yeah they know what Callahan can do and have even said he very likely an NHLer, they have to see all the guys they can in this Prospects tourny so they drafted what is probably their second or third most well known commodity in the tournament in favour of some others.

This healthy scratch also managed to be third on the team in scoring while playing one less game than the guys ahead of him. And the game he didnt play in was their highest scoring affair.

Callahan is almost as close as it gets to an NHLer, just because of the plain old fact he can fight. If Pulkkinens skating doesnt improve or he cant adjust to NA, he will bust.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24