• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 13GoWings40

Will Ericsson Earn His Raise?

Rate this topic

Guest 13GoWings40

http://dailytribune.com/articles/2011/09/13/sports/doc4e6e794cd5b38335642095.txt?viewmode=default

Ok, so I know Ericsson threads can get kinda out of hand, but I thought the article brought up a good question, will Ericsson end up being worth the money? I don't think that as of today Ericsson is a $3+ million player, but by the end of the contract I have a feeling everyone will think we got another steal. I remember people complaining about Datsyuk being overpaid and Kronwall being overpaid, and now both of those contracts look great. I don't believe Holland would give a player that large of a contract without a realistic expectation of the player developing into a $3 million player.

I kind of see it playing out like this:

Year 1: He sucks, trade/waive/exile him

Year 2: He's serviceable, but still overpaid

Year 3: Kenny, you've done it again!

Of course I hope I'm wrong and we get to that last part before year 3 lol. I'm basing all of this on the fact that Holland has earned my trust until he gives me a reason not to trust him.

Guest 13GoWings40

I hope they pair with with Commodore so he can learn how to properly punch people in the face.

esteef

Agreed, any player who is 6'5" and is frequently referred to as "soft" ought to be ashamed of himself

By year three of your above scenario, he will have been on the ice for us for seven total years. Four thus far (2 of those split with GR) and three additional. So year five (this year), we are happy with "He sucks, trade/waive/exile him"? I don't know, we might be more like "Kenny, any reason you gave proven bottom pair defensman 3 Mil per year after watching him play for the Wings for four years??!!"

I honestly think if he were 3-4 inches shorter he'd be in a much lower pay range.

He would have to make a total 180 degree turn in play for him to justify this contract. I truly hated this deal from day 1 and wanted the kid gone, the leash better be shorter than Verne Troyer rain boots... Let the Big E irritation station commence. I have been quite late to the party on this one but no one can justify this kind of $ for what he did/didn't do last year.

I don't think E is as bad as some people make him out to be, but this contract certainly is going to require Ericsson to improve immensely to live up to the terms.

I think the best thing for Ericsson right now would be to play with Lidstrom. The pairing with Rafalski didn't do Ericsson any favors in his own zone. As mentioned already, my biggest gripe with Ericsson is his inability to use his size to play physical and clear the front of the net. If he can add that element to his game, he can be a solid top four d-man which is especially important when Nick leaves.

Guest 13GoWings40

He would have to make a total 180 degree turn in play for him to justify this contract. I truly hated this deal from day 1 and wanted the kid gone, the leash better be shorter than Verne Troyer rain boots... Let the Big E irritation station commence. I have been quite late to the party on this one but no one can justify this kind of $ for what he did/didn't do last year.

This is true, but he's only 27 and defensemen develop slower than forwards most of the time. Holland paid Ericsson based on what he will do in the future, not what he has already done. E has shown flashes of being a very good NHL defenseman, and I feel that regardless of how many seasons he's played it's foolish to say that a 27 year old player is done developing and will never get better.

Like I mentioned in my post, E really reminds me of Kronwall. Everyone said Kronwall was over paid, would never get better, should be traded, was soft, etc. for years, and now at the end of his 5 year contract he has developed to the point where he is in line for a significant raise. All E needs to do is learn to play with more of an edge and gain more offensive confidence. The first will be hopefully be aided by our offseason acquisitions and the second should be helped by the departure of Rafalski as E and his 100 mph slap shot are in line for some more pp time.

By year three of your above scenario, he will have been on the ice for us for seven total years. Four thus far (2 of those split with GR) and three additional. So year five (this year), we are happy with "He sucks, trade/waive/exile him"? I don't know, we might be more like "Kenny, any reason you gave proven bottom pair defensman 3 Mil per year after watching him play for the Wings for four years??!!"

I honestly think if he were 3-4 inches shorter he'd be in a much lower pay range.

Ericsson has played 4 years in North America. Year 5 hasn't started yet. In that span he played 2 more or less full seasons in the NHL. He was drafted 291st (LAST overall) and he was a forward then. His last season stats: 74GP 3G 12A 15Pts 8+/- 87PIM 89SOG Not bad for a 3rd pair D.

Do you know what Pronger's (2nd overall pick) 3rd NHL season stats were? 78GP 7G 18A 25Pts -18+/- 110PIM 138SOG

So it took Pronger - a surefire top pick - more than 3 years to learn to be an NHL defenseman. (And that would have been his 7th year playing pro or quasipro hockey in North America, counting juniors.)

So cut Ericsson some slack. You can't teach size, but it appears that Detroit's management believe they can teach Ericsson everything else he needs to know, and fairly quickly.

Edited by sibiriak

http://dailytribune.com/articles/2011/09/13/sports/doc4e6e794cd5b38335642095.txt?viewmode=default

I kind of see it playing out like this:

I would agree with you if it was a five year contract... I don't think salaries inflate enough to justify this as a long term investment. I also believe the worst part was inflating our line for the bigger name Dmen we have to sign in the intern.

Sorry, it was a bad contract.

Ericsson has played 4 years in North America. Year 5 hasn't started yet. In that span he played 2 more or less full seasons in the NHL. He was drafted 291st (LAST overall) and he was a forward then. His last season stats: 74GP 3G 12A 15Pts 8+/- 87PIM 89SOG Not bad for a 3rd pair D.

Do you know what Pronger's (2nd overall pick) 3rd NHL season stats were? 78GP 7G 18A 25Pts -18+/- 110PIM 138SOG

So it took Pronger - a surefire top pick - more than 3 years to learn to be an NHL defenseman. (And that would have been his 7th year playing pro or quasipro hockey in North America, counting juniors.)

So cut Ericsson some slack. You can't teach size, but it appears that Detroit's management believe they can teach Ericsson everything else he needs to know, and fairly quickly.

On the numbers......

He's played in North America for 5 years. First season was with GR in 2006-2007. They've been exclusively "teaching" him either in GR or up with the Wings for 5 years. Fairly quickly??

Pronger was also 20 years old in his third season....not 27! His third year in the NHL was 1995-1996.

At 27 he statistically should be in his prime. If what we've seen so far is any indication of his prime, then he is way over-paid! Flat out.

Its like i came to this thread hoping to see the future, but i should know better because we will just have to wait and see.... anyway, with ericsson i feel as though the tools are there and he has a good chance of developing into a top 4 defenseman, but the only reason he had enough leverage to demand that kind of salary is because of the departure of rafalski. Potential was not a good enough reason to make him the 2nd highest paid defenseman on our team so i would say its a mediocre contract that we almost had to give him.

Its like i came to this thread hoping to see the future, but i should know better because we will just have to wait and see.... anyway, with ericsson i feel as though the tools are there and he has a good chance of developing into a top 4 defenseman, but the only reason he had enough leverage to demand that kind of salary is because of the departure of rafalski. Potential was not a good enough reason to make him the 2nd highest paid defenseman on our team so i would say its a mediocre contract that we almost had to give him.

That's more based on the timing of the deal than a performance indicator. Kronwall and Stuart will easily surpass Ericsson next summer.

TBH, I think this contract is similar to that of Filppula's in that Kenny was paying for potential. It wasn't an "OMGZ, $28 Million/3 Years WUT LULZ!" contract, but at the same time I don't see it turning out to be anything other than fair when E's at his absolute best. Put in those terms, it's identical to Filppula's and isn't one of Kenny's typical "steal-deals".

Guest Crymson

I highly doubt it. Ericsson is a soft giant. I can't believe he makes more than Kronwall.

This is such a dumb argument. When Kronwall signed his deal four years ago, he was still new and it was looked upon as a risk. Now it's an excellent deal, but at the time it was a chance. Meanwhile salaries have inflated massively.

When Kronwall gets a new contract this summer, he'll be making substantially more than Ericsson.

Ericsson's contract was due to the market value of free agent defenseman this off season. It was either sign him at that price, or lose him.

This is such a dumb argument. When Kronwall signed his deal four years ago, he was still new and it was looked upon as a risk. Now it's an excellent deal, but at the time it was a chance. Meanwhile salaries have inflated massively.

When Kronwall gets a new contract this summer, he'll be making substantially more than Ericsson.

x2

I hope they pair him with Commodore so he can learn how to properly punch people in the face.

esteef

edit: grammar

Ericsson held his own with Clowe and would likely beat Commodore in a fight.

Oh, and the answer to the OP's question is no.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Ericsson held his own with Clowe and would likely beat Commodore in a fight.

That makes me more disappointed about the prospect of having Commodore on the team than reassured about Ericsson.

Someone on HF said that the Wings coaches/management told Ericsson not to fight when he was brought up to the Wings. I'm dubious about that, but he really doesn't seem to do it often nor to be very good at it when he does. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think he can only improve. Wasnt noticeable in the playoffs which is a good thing.

I expect him to improve on his offense a touch maybe 10pts more. I expect him to improve a lot more defensively with the new coaching staff and another big dman.

Guest Crymson

That makes me more disappointed about the prospect of having Commodore on the team than reassured about Ericsson.

Someone on HF said that the Wings coaches/management told Ericsson not to fight when he was brought up to the Wings. I'm dubious about that, but he really doesn't seem to do it often nor to be very good at it when he does. I mean, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ericsson does quite well when he fights. Have you been watching?

I highly doubt it. Ericsson is a soft giant. I can't believe he makes more than Kronwall.

He won't be making more than Kronners after this upcoming season is over. Kronwall will definitely be our highest paid defenseman unless somehow we get Doughty (Doughty still isn't signed yet lol) or Weber in a pipe dream...