39 replies to this topic

#21 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Wow the wings D is tough actually

If Commodore can really find his game again and become a solid number 6 with a regular shift they will be a physical force.

Lidstrom - Yeah hes soft but hes also the reigning Norris champ so chirp him I dare ya

White - Feisty little guy who can throw a nice hipcheck and handle himself in a scrap. Clears the crease

Stuart and Kronawll - Probably the hardest hittting pairing in the league when together arguably

Commodore, Smith, Ericcson - All guys who can fight and have an edge to their game (Even Ericcson every now and than)

Kindl - Soft but I feel like he wont play a whole lot again and could be traded.

Im hoping Commie shows Ericcson what to do with his 6'5 frame and they become a damn nasty pairing. If Smith is in the lineup he could actually be their nastiest defender, kid is dirty with his stick, looks for big hits and will fight too.

I just really hope Commie gets it together and can turn into a pre concussion Lilja

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#22 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

I hope this means the Brad "O-Zone" Stuart experiment is over. He's better in more of a stay-at-home role - let Kronwall do the pinching this year.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#23 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

To me, the dmen are a lot more likely to be set in stone than the forwards for sure. I don't have a dobberhockey account to back it up, but I'm positive that Stuart was always Lidstrom primary partner if both were healthy. Same went for Kronwall and Salei (RIP); as well as Ericsson and Rafalski. I mean, hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong but those pairings seriously just didn't really change all that much.

It's usually around 70-80% at even strength, at least for the Wings. There are a few teams that have the top 4 set in stone to where they are 90% or higher at even strength, but then you have the crappy teams who literally rotate every game.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#24 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:09 PM

I love those pairings, other then Kindl GTFO, Commys gonna play.

#NOMOREKINDL

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

Lidstrom - White

Kronwall - Stuart (YES They are back Together!)

Ericsson - Kindl

Smith - Commodore

http://www.mlive.com..._impress_1.html

Kindl in front of Commodore is really disturbing. I am questioning Babcock at the moment. :ninja:

Seriously, I hope Commie gets that 6th spot. If not, then it was a waste....

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#26 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

Kindl in front of Commodore is really disturbing. I am questioning Babcock at the moment. :ninja:

Well Babs hopes Commie will be a "good teammate."

I mean... That could just be a politically correct way to say sit your ass down in the press box with a smile on your face. Guess Babs is already trying to "bury"* Commodore, huh? :ph34r:

*"I thought he (Babs) put his best foot forward to bury me (Commie)."

#27 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

Perhaps there was a reason 'Commie' found himself in the AHL last season...

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#28 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't read so much into the pairings as to say Kindl will be ahead of Commodore on the depth chart during the season.

Having said that, where is the Kindl hate coming from? He improved a lot last year, and he's just getting started in the league. Kindl isn't some throw-away scrub, he still has potential to develop and maybe be a second-pairing D one day. If he improves as much as he did last year, he'll actually be reasonably valuable.

#29 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I wouldn't read so much into the pairings as to say Kindl will be ahead of Commodore on the depth chart during the season.

Having said that, where is the Kindl hate coming from? He improved a lot last year, and he's just getting started in the league. Kindl isn't some throw-away scrub, he still has potential to develop and maybe be a second-pairing D one day. If he improves as much as he did last year, he'll actually be reasonably valuable.

I dont think its hate but it is somehwat disappointing out highest draft pick in a decade hasnt turned out like we all expected.

Yeah he looks like he m ay be a solid top 4 MAYBE, but there are guys like Smith and now with White who are young still and much better. I thinnk alot of people see Kindl as e xpendable in a trade to bring something else they dont have (another scorer, bruiser etc).

I think hes a decent player but what does he provide that the wings need is the way I look at it, and quite frankly I cant think of an answer to support him

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#30 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

I think this is just Babcock's way of lighting a fire under commie's ass. Make Commie think you still don't believe in him so he tries that much harder to "prove you wrong"

#31 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

I think some folks are being too sensitive about Babcock's "projected" defense parings. They haven't even trained together to see how they look with the new guys for crying out loud.

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:55 PM

I think this is just Babcock's way of lighting a fire under commie's ass. Make Commie think you still don't believe in him so he tries that much harder to "prove you wrong"

Isn't Commie old enough and experienced enough so that he shouldn't need that kind of motivational tactic?

#33 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:03 AM

Perhaps Babcock didn't want to put the two most unexperienced ones Smith and Kindl together?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#34 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

Yeah I think last year's starting pairings at the beginning and after training camp were:

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Stuart-Rafalski
Ericsson-Salei

Then because Babs wanted size against the Getzlaf line, he made a temporary switch in his original idea:

Lidstrom-Ericsson
Stuart-Rafalski
Kronwall-Salei

Then Ericsson got injured in that game. I don't exactly remember what happened then but iirc I think Babs rotated and double shifted Stuart, Kronwall and Rafalski with Lidstrom. Over the next eight games of the whole rotation experiment while Ericsson healed up and Kindl got a few minutes, Babs evidently and especially liked what he saw with the Lidstrom and Stuart pairing and then set the theoretical "one puck mover and one physical presence" lines as the team's number one main option for the rest of the season if all dmen were healthy:

Lidstrom-Stuart
Kronwall-Salei
Ericsson-Rafalski

#35 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

Isn't Commie old enough and experienced enough so that he shouldn't need that kind of motivational tactic?

Probably, but from Babcock's point of view, it tells Commie exactly what he thinks of him and where he stands without having to lecture the guy like he's 5 years old. I'm sure Commie has already put 2 and 2 together and knows he's in the hot seat, but I think it's important to have that communication directly from the coach. The more input, the better, and when it's this kind of input, the gentler the delivery, the better.

I don't think Babs would bury anybody right off the bat without seeing what they can do. It'd be kind of pointless to waste a potential asset to the team before you've even seen if he's turned over a new leaf or not. Lingering feelings or no, he has to do what's best for the team.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#36 Itchin' to go

Itchin' to go

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

I hope Kindl is 85ft wide or he'll have a tough time covering for the big pylon.

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

I find it funny to get a negative for a joke.... The :ninja: means ha ha funny and not being serious....but some folks are just so negative that they don't take a moment to actually read it. Seriously though, I think I am not alone in hoping Commodore makes the #6 spot over Kindl...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#38 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

Exactly. I like the Commodore signing for the price and depth purposes, but he couldn't stay up with Columbus and they have one of the worst defensive units in the league.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#39 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Exactly. I like the Commodore signing for the price and depth purposes, but he couldn't stay up with Columbus and they have one of the worst defensive units in the league.

How do you think Lids would fair on such an awful defense like Columbus had? I think you would see real low numbers from him as well. I think as a whole the D has to be fairly good. Can't be up to one person. That's why I think Commodore will do good here. He has other good/great D that will free him up somewhat so that he can play his true game and not a style that he really doesn't play. But that's just me.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#40 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

I find it funny to get a negative for a joke.... The :ninja: means ha ha funny and not being serious....but some folks are just so negative that they don't take a moment to actually read it. Seriously though, I think I am not alone in hoping Commodore makes the #6 spot over Kindl...

Looks like someone is going negative happy on here. Give me one guess and i probably can tell you who it is.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY