• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vladdy16

Wings have designated certain games "premium."

Rate this topic

If you get a Wings schedule (picked mine up at HA this weekend!), you will notice there are 10 games designated as "premium." Ticket prices are $10 more for these games. I can't believe we've taken a page out of the Phoenix handbook and charged more for certain games. The funny thing is, the following are the "premium" teams:

Ottawa Oct. 7

Calgary Nov. 23

Winnipeg Dec. 10

St. Louis Dec. 31st (this one I get)

Chicago Jan. 14

Philly Feb. 12

San Jose Feb. 19

Vancouver Feb. 23

Chicago March 4

Carolina March 24

7 of these are weekend games, but not all the weekend games are extra. I'm confused. And upset. First we're sponsored by Amway, now an increase in ticket prices for games that aren't "premium" in an obvious sense.

i wonder if there will be an increased charge for us college kids...probably. do not want. $15 is perfect and i was hoping to see more Wings games than ever due to getting a better paying job and having the weekends off. Well see i suppose...

Those games are designated as the Amway Golden Pyramid Games - 15,000 tickets will go to season ticket holders, who will then sell blocks of seats at 200% profit, trickling down to more individual marketers down the line.

I figured out I have a chance at 5 tickets and could possibly resell them at a 3% profit margin.

The remaining 5,000 tickets will be used as prizes at Amway seminars and bonuses for top vitamin supplement purchasers.

Edited by egroen

The Stars do this crap too. When I tried to use a 50% coupon for their season opener last year they told me it's not eligible for premium games, which the opener and 'Wings' game supposedly were. Must not have been all Wings games cuz I used the same coupon the year before for a Wings game. I think they were just mad they knew I was a Wings fan. It was the opener though....but whatever. I still paid up.

Pretty sure this is the second (maybe third) year of premium pricing for games. Tigers have been doing it for at least 3 years now. They are just following suit with most of the other NHL teams.

The only game I would question as "premium" would be Calgary. Maybe Winnipeg. But they're a "new" team so it may raise the interest level. The rest are guaranteed sellouts, and generate plenty of resale revenue for both Ticketmaster, and other ticket resellers. From a business standpoint, it only makes sense. And though we may hate to admit it, The Detroit Red Wings are a business, and in it to make money.

Edit: After looking at a calendar, the Calgary game makes sense also. The night before Thanksgiving. Those games have always been sold out. Isn't that supposed to be the biggest bar night of the year?

Edited by BigWillieStyle

Guest Crymson

Carolina March 24 what's that all about? Last reg season home game maybe?

They raised ticket prices in honor of my birthday, no doubt. All extra proceeds go to me.

Pretty sure this is the second (maybe third) year of premium pricing for games. Tigers have been doing it for at least 3 years now. They are just following suit with most of the other NHL teams.

The only game I would question as "premium" would be Calgary. Maybe Winnipeg. But they're a "new" team so it may raise the interest level. The rest are guaranteed sellouts, and generate plenty of resale revenue for both Ticketmaster, and other ticket resellers. From a business standpoint, it only makes sense. And though we may hate to admit it, The Detroit Red Wings are a business, and in it to make money.

Edit: After looking at a calendar, the Calgary game makes sense also. The night before Thanksgiving. Those games have always been sold out. Isn't that supposed to be the biggest bar night of the year?

Yeah, they have actually done this for a few years now.

I dont understand their logic on why these games are premium. Some of the teams there are good, but a lot suck. I could understand original 6 teams or serious contenders being on there, but ottawa, st. Louis, calgary, and carolina all missed the playoffs last year.

Ottawa Oct. 7 Opening night

Calgary Nov. 23 Thanksgiving eve

Winnipeg Dec. 10 First visit by Winnipeg ever and Sat night

Chicago Jan. 14 Sat afternoon and Chicago

Philly Feb. 12 Sunday afternoon and Philly

San Jose Feb. 19 Sun afternoon and San Jose

Vancouver Feb. 23 Vancouver

Chicago March 4 Sun afternoon and Chicago

Carolina March 24 This one is questionable

These are the most popular games.

Carolina March 24 what's that all about? Last reg season home game maybe?

No. Not even close. No idea why this one is "premium". Last home Saturday night?

Yeah, they have actually done this for a few years now.

None of my other schedules have reflected this, so they snuck it by me until now.

Ottawa Oct. 7 Opening night

Calgary Nov. 23 Thanksgiving eve

Winnipeg Dec. 10 First visit by Winnipeg ever and Sat night

Chicago Jan. 14 Sat afternoon and Chicago

Philly Feb. 12 Sunday afternoon and Philly

San Jose Feb. 19 Sun afternoon and San Jose

Vancouver Feb. 23 Vancouver

Chicago March 4 Sun afternoon and Chicago

Carolina March 24 This one is questionable

These are the most popular games.

Then why isn't the last home game of the season against Chicago (a weekend game as well) designated "premium?" It's a pretty crappy schedule - not one O6 team visits this year. Now those could be premium games. And Nashville plays us very well during the regular season - why not them instead of Vancouver? Everyone I know would much rather see a game against Nashville.*

*DISCLAIMER* Don't like NV, couldn't care less about them, but no one can deny they usually play very well against us RS.

those are def the most popular games, and the rise in ticket prices shouldn't come as too much of a shocker. if im not mistaken I believe that the wings havent been raising prices over the last 5-6 years at the same rate other teams have because of the recession. now its their time to make some money again.

making money = new barn

lets not forget that we have the best team in hockey, and sometimes you have to pay top dollar for the best products in any industry.