• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
b.shanafan14

Zach Bogosian signs with Jets

Rate this topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375803

How are people feeling about Ericsson's contract of $3.25 mil per year for three years in comparison to Bogosian's $2.5 mil per year for two years? While he hasn't really lit the world on fire, Bogosian has been playing solid for the Thrashers with little support, while Ericsson seems to have two left feet and all thumbs with a solid organization. The plus-minus from last year for Bogosian is ugly, but given the choice I'd prefer him over Ericsson.

Anyways, discuss...

I also would rather have bogosian. But i think the difference here is hes an rfa, and doesnt have the bargaining chip of possibly going to the market. Im not Ericsson's biggest fan but I think hes gonna surprise a lot of us this year with great play.

Guest Heaten

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375803

How are people feeling about Ericsson's contract of $3.25 mil per year for three years in comparison to Bogosian's $2.5 mil per year for two years? While he hasn't really lit the world on fire, Bogosian has been playing solid for the Thrashers with little support, while Ericsson seems to have two left feet and all thumbs with a solid organization. The plus-minus from last year for Bogosian is ugly, but given the choice I'd prefer him over Ericsson.

Anyways, discuss...

The fallacy with your premises is Holland didn't have that choice. So his cap hit vs Ericsson's is moot because he was a RFA, not a UFA. In fact, $2.5 might be a bit high considering his RFA status. In comparison, Ericsson re-signed for $900k when he was a RFA.

So if you cut out all the fluff and BS, it's really 900k vs $2.5 million.

Edited by Heaten

Good deal for Winnipeg. The Jets should look something like:

Burmistrov-Ladd-E.Kane

Wheeler-Antropov-Little

Fehr-Slater-X

Glass-X-Thorburn

-X

Plenty of competition for open bottom 6 spots. Candidates include:

Patrice Cormier

Tim Stapleton

Troy Bodie (Tryout)

Spencer Machachek

Ben Maxwell

Kyle Wellwood

David Koci (Tryout)

I think Wellwood will get the 3rd line spot.

Enstrom-Byfuglien

Oduya-Bogosian

M.Stuart-Hainsey

-R.Jones

Obviously lines and defensive pairings will change throughout the year.

The fallacy with your premises is Holland didn't have that choice. So his cap hit vs Ericsson's is moot because he was a RFA, not a UFA. In fact, $2.5 might be a bit high considering his RFA status. In comparison, Ericsson re-signed for $900k when he was a RFA.

So if you cut out all the fluff and BS, it's really 900k vs $2.5 million.

I can see how you may have taken it that way, but my intention wasn't to say Holland had the choice, but rather to say the Jets got a hell of a deal / Wings may have overpaid. I understand the implications of RFA vs. UFA, but there are really two ways of looking at it.

In my view, the Wings overpaid based on the performance of Ericsson so far. Your view is that Bogosian was underpaid because of his RFA status, which I agree with to a certain degree but I'm not buying the Ericsson RFA comparison.

Ericsson was signed as an RFA after playing the majority of his time in the AHL, registering just 8 regular season games at -3 plus-minus. This was prior to his decent playoff performance with the Wings. Zach Bogosian on the other hand has played nearly 200 NHL games (more than Ericsson to date) while posting more points-per-game on a worse team.

Now, even if we look at Bogosian as equal to Ericsson, no better, look around the league and tell me if the norm for RFAs today is an underpayment to the tune of around 25%. In my opinion, usually closer to 10%-15% if at all. Compare that now to the possibility (and high probability) that Bogosian is a significantly better player with similar or more potential.

Again, this is not meant to say we should have sign Bogosian instead, which isn't possible given the price in picks Holland would have had to give up. Rather, the post was meant to stir conversation about the Ericsson deal now that we have a recently signed comparable.

Guest Heaten

I can see how you may have taken it that way, but my intention wasn't to say Holland had the choice, but rather to say the Jets got a hell of a deal / Wings may have overpaid. I understand the implications of RFA vs. UFA, but there are really two ways of looking at it.

In my view, the Wings overpaid based on the performance of Ericsson so far. Your view is that Bogosian was underpaid because of his RFA status, which I agree with to a certain degree but I'm not buying the Ericsson RFA comparison.

Ericsson was signed as an RFA after playing the majority of his time in the AHL, registering just 8 regular season games at -3 plus-minus. This was prior to his decent playoff performance with the Wings. Zach Bogosian on the other hand has played nearly 200 NHL games (more than Ericsson to date) while posting more points-per-game on a worse team.

Now, even if we look at Bogosian as equal to Ericsson, no better, look around the league and tell me if the norm for RFAs today is an underpayment to the tune of around 25%. In my opinion, usually closer to 10%-15% if at all. Compare that now to the possibility (and high probability) that Bogosian is a significantly better player with similar or more potential.

Again, this is not meant to say we should have sign Bogosian instead, which isn't possible given the price in picks Holland would have had to give up. Rather, the post was meant to stir conversation about the Ericsson deal now that we have a recently signed comparable.

You don't like the Ericsson RFA comparison? When E was re-signed for $900k, he was arguably not worth it because he didn't prove to be worth more than a Lebda, Lilja, or Meech. Holland paid him $900k on potential because that's Holland's MO.

Boogs, on the other hand, has a horrible -rating (worse than Big E) and he got that payout as a RFA (wowza!)

Ericsson was projected to get upwards to $3million (according to hockey announcers) if he hit FA. Holland knew this. Boogs, on the other hand, wasn't going to hit FA (could offer sheet if a team was willing to give up draft picks), which gives up assets to acquire him.

As is, right now, Ericsson's salary is 'safe' in this market. It could be argued a few 100k overpaid, but not severely. He's a trade-able asset in the worse case scenario.

I do believe it won't be long and Ericsson's contract will be considered as a bargain. Maybe not a Kronwall type bargain, but a bargain none-the-less. But you have to remember, Kronwall was severely abused on LGWs for his contract as well. Where are those nay-sayers now?

Ericsson's contract was a low risk signing. It's trade-able, and not a long franzen type long contract. If the cap goes down significantly in the next few years, his contract will look horrible.... but then again, so will 100s of other current NHL contracts.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

art regner is clueless about hockey.

what a waste of bandwidth.

Good deal for Winnipeg. The Jets should look something like:

Burmistrov-Ladd-E.Kane

Wheeler-Antropov-Little

Fehr-Slater-X

Glass-X-Thorburn

-X

Plenty of competition for open bottom 6 spots. Candidates include:

Patrice Cormier

Tim Stapleton

Troy Bodie (Tryout)

Spencer Machachek

Ben Maxwell

Kyle Wellwood

David Koci (Tryout)

I think Wellwood will get the 3rd line spot.

Enstrom-Byfuglien

Oduya-Bogosian

M.Stuart-Hainsey

-R.Jones

Obviously lines and defensive pairings will change throughout the year.

Their travel schedule will be brutal with this shortened season.

Their travel schedule will be brutal with this shortened season.

The one saving grace for the Jets is that there are no games out of the conferences this season so their travel won't be as bad as last year but they're terrible on the road and will have a nasty road trip starting today after dropping game 1 at home.