• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Yet another lawsuit filed against Bert

Rate this topic

I'm torn on this one. Yes, this is dragging on and yet another lawsuit is tedious to say the least BUT Bertuzzi did punch someone from behind that caused a broken neck. If Bert doesn't knock him out, there's no pile-up. Hitting someone from behind, even if they are being a pansy, is pitiful. Whether he's sorry or not is up for debate. Todd is far from blameless here.

Yes, I agree Moore probably should have moved on by now with his previous suit going nowhere, and Lord knows he would never have made 35 million, and his parents suing is beyond ridiculous. However, our opinions don't really matter here. The courts are letting this suit proceed and Bertuzzi is just going to have to try to get through the season with this hanging over his head. Again.

I love Bert. He is one of my favorite Wings simply because I can't NOT love a big bearded Canadian missing a bunch of teeth. I feel so bad for him and I agree with most of the other posters that enough is enough. His actions were obviously not good but he knows that, these lawsuits drive me insane. Bertuzzi gets so much hate from so many people but I really think his actions have been so blown out of proportion...Todd didn't break moore's neck, the dogpile did.

I'm so over this incident and I really hope Bert comes out alright.

Also, the fact that his parents think they deserve money as well makes them look like losers. ugh.

Moore was probably planning this lawsuit for a long time. That's why he never played in the NHL again, because he knew that if he did that, then he couldn't have a lawsuit like this against Bert. This lawsuit is all based on him not playing. So I believe, essentially, the guy ended his career because he thought he was going to milk tons of money on this "cash cow".

There is no way to gauge how much the guy was gonna make either, because he never really played long. The guy is just money hungry. Bert never intended to break Moore's neck, that was an accident (the neck breaking part). You can really tell Bert regrets doing this too.

As much as i think it's time for everyone to move on from this it's Bertuzzi's own fault. I don't buy this whole nonsense about blaming the dog pile either, he suckered him and drove him face first into the ice with extreme force. The dog pile after was nothing compared to that, and for who ever said it was his team mates, watch the video, one Avalanche player jumps on Bert to stop him from continuing to hit Moore and is then followed by two more Canucks.

As much as i think it's time for everyone to move on from this it's Bertuzzi's own fault. I don't buy this whole nonsense about blaming the dog pile either, he suckered him and drove him face first into the ice with extreme force. The dog pile after was nothing compared to that, and for who ever said it was his team mates, watch the video, one Avalanche player jumps on Bert to stop him from continuing to hit Moore and is then followed by two more Canucks.

You sound like one of those that thought bert knew that moore would fall on his head and get hurt like he did and that bert needs to be in prison. Lucky we don't have people like you in the court system.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Funny how much Bert wearing the Winged Wheel has changed prevailing opinion on this site. Something tells me if he were still a Nuck people here would be calling for his head.

Here's a trip down memory lane when news broke Bertuzzi was suing Crawford. Very different reaction from members here. Not coincidentally it was the season after he left Detroit for Anaheim.

As for the lawsuit, this doesn't sound like a new one. This is the same lawsuit as before, it's just now there's actually a court date. So it's news because it's finally moving forward.

I hope Bert wins this one to be honest. He paid the $2 Million to the family and it is time to move on. I hope this one gets laughed out of court.

Do you have a link for this? Because the civil trial is just now getting a court date, I don't think Bertuzzi has paid Moore anything, has he?

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Funny how much Bert wearing the Winged Wheel has changed prevailing opinion on this site. Something tells me if he were still a Nuck people here would be calling for his head.

Here's a trip down memory lane when news broke Bertuzzi was suing Crawford. Very different reaction from members here. Not coincidentally it was the season after he left Detroit for Anaheim.

As for the lawsuit, this doesn't sound like a new one. This is the same lawsuit as before, it's just now there's actually a court date. So it's news because it's finally moving forward.

Do you have a link for this? Because the civil trial is just now getting a court date, I don't think Bertuzzi has paid Moore anything, has he?

Not sure i understand. I don't think anyone thinks what bert done wasn't absolutely the stupidest thing he or pretty much anyone has done on the ice in the nhl. But the question is. When is enough enough if in fact this is a new case against him and if he has already paid money out to moore.

You sound like one of those that thought bert knew that moore would fall on his head and get hurt like he did and that bert needs to be in prison. Lucky we don't have people like you in the court system.

So you're saying Moore just "fell on his head" and got hurt, and Bertuzzi's sucker punch and driving his head into the ice wasn't his fault? Never did i say he should be in prison, and before we start feeling sorry for Bert he himself filed a lawsuit against Crawford over this.

Not sure i understand. I don't think anyone thinks what bert done wasn't absolutely the stupidest thing he or pretty much anyone has done on the ice in the nhl. But the question is. When is enough enough if in fact this is a new case against him and if he has already paid money out to moore.

I don't think it's that hard to understand. People are cutting Bert a lot more slack now that he's a Red Wing.

And I don't think this is a new lawsuit, or that Bertuzzi has paid any damages to Moore at this point.

Everything I've read just refers to Moore's lawsuit finally getting a court date. Nothing about it being new.

It's an extremely misleading thread title by the OP. The first part of the article he linked to says:

A civil case pitting former NHL player Steve Moore against Todd Bertuzzi(notes) and the Vancouver Canucks could finally see the inside of a courtroom late next year.

The target date for the Ontario Superior Court trial to begin if necessary is Sept. 24, 2012 if Bertuzzi is still an active player, and Oct. 22 if he’s not, according to court documents viewed by CBC.

Court-ordered mediation between the sides has failed to lead to a settlement.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

A writer from the Toronto Sun back in March seems to think that it's taken this long because they wanted to "fully evaluate Moore's injuries".

Link: http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2011/03/06/17515946.html

Maybe I'll sound like a *****, but the way he's making it out that Moore's head injury is worse just due to the fact that he graduated from Harvard makes it seem like he'd be just fine if someone wrecked the head on your standard issue thug. It's either wrong, or it's not. His education level shouldn't even be a factor (other than knowing he should have dealt with the repercussions of wrecking Naslund - but that's another story).

Well, in the board's defense, that lawsuit by Bertuzzi was ridiculous.

Doesn't make Moore's claim of 48 million to be any less ridiculous.

Well, in the board's defense, that lawsuit by Bertuzzi was ridiculous.

Doesn't make Moore's claim of 48 million to be any less ridiculous.

Agreed. Both claims are ridiculous. Including Moore's parents wanting money for emotional pain and distress.

I think Moore does deserve money coming his way, and more than the $350,000 Bert's lawyer offered him. Somewhere in the millions, but nowhere near the 30 or 40 he's looking for.

If I were choosing I'd probably figure Moore's salary as a 3rd/4th line guy for 6 or 7 seasons. Then maybe tack on an extra million. Would he ever have been in the league that long? who knows. But he didn't have the opportunity to find out.

And I'm not saying all that money should be coming from Bert personally. I'd love to see the Nucks and Crawford get dinged for some of it.

My personal opinion is that the act itself wasn't "that" bad, yes is was brutal, despicable, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the worst or one of the worst acts ever seen in the game (which I have heard said more than a few times). What makes this so bad is the result.

That said, I don't care if you want to say Bertuzzi is 100% responsible for ending Moore's career, I don't care if you want to say he's 0% responsible and Moore's teammates are 100% responsible. Regardless of your point of view on all that, the amount Moore is suing for is beyond ridiculous. Moore was teh type of player that I wouldn't have been surprised if he didn't last beyond a year or so in the league, he was very borderline. He could have gotten lucky and lasted 10 years as well, who knows, but even using best case scenario, not sure how anyone could think this guy was capable of earning much more than $5M or so in career earnings. He's suing for $40M+. I know it is for more than just career earnings, there are lingering effects (although, the skeptic in me thinks those woudl be exaggerated for the purpose of the lawsuit). I know that sounds bad, but how can you not think that?

The 40 million is ridiculous but I don't think they actually expect to get paid that amount. I'm certainly no legal expert, but isn't this somewhat common in cases like this?

They ask for some insane amount of money that they know they'll never get with the hope that a settlement is reached for a much smaller (yet still significant) sum of money.

Either way, I agree with most of you... enough is enough. I used to be one of the biggest Bert haters. I forgave him long ago because I genuinely believe he is penitent and seemed to do everything he could to make amends. Bertuzzi suffered majorly as a result of his actions, and it seems to have humbled him. He hasn't done anything remotely similar since it happened.

It was a stupid, horrible thing for Bertuzzi to do, but the intention was not there to end his career. It was a heat of the moment thing with flukey results that got out of hand.

I have seen several videos of our own Darren McCarty doing things VERY similar to what Bertuzzi did (possibly with even more malice and force behind the punch), and the reason we're still talking about Bert is because of the results of the injury, not the actual incident.

ugh, obviously unfortunate what happened but everyone just needs to move on. it's not like moore was some superstar who would have made 100 million dollars in his career, guy was a scrub and borderline nhler.. piss off

Yeah i agree.just break the guys neck and move on :rolleyes: Moore was only a fourth line player so that makes him expendable.I hope Moore wins his settlement,i would be one happy guy :hehe:

WOW someone finally with brains :clap:

Yeah i agree.just break the guys neck and move on :rolleyes: Moore was only a fourth line player so that makes him expendable.I hope Moore wins his settlement,i would be one happy guy :hehe:

I think you missed his point there. The point wasn't that Moore was expendable, the point is that he almost certainly wouldn't have made 38 million dollars as a player.

So when you say you would be happy if Moore won, do you mean if he is awarded the full 40 million? You really believe Bertuzzi should be paying out of his own pocket for likely the rest of his life for a one time lapse of judgement in a heated situation after already serving his original punishment?

I know I said this half jokingly but I just wanna repeat... If Moore can sue bertuzzi, why can't naslund sue Moore? Why can't lindros sue Stevens? Crosby should sue steckel and hedman an half the NHL should sue Cooke.

No matter how much you want to clean up the game, the fact remains hockey is a very dangerous sport and you should assume all risks when you play at the highest level. We've come to a point in society where we want to always blame the other guy. Sure, this would have all been avoided if bertuzzi didn't cheap shot moore. Then again, this could all have been avoided if Moore didn't cheap shot naslund. At any rate, naslund, Moore, and bertuzzi all share some blame in this mess. When you get injured it's your fault and the other players fault. Therefore, in my opinion, the injured player assumes some of the blame and ALL of the risk. Don't play hockey if you want to get injured. And don't head hunt on the leagues top scorer if you don't want to fight (and yea you might have to fight multiple times. Claude Lemieux wasn't done after he turtles against McCarty)

I know I said this half jokingly but I just wanna repeat... If Moore can sue bertuzzi, why can't naslund sue Moore? Why can't lindros sue Stevens? Crosby should sue steckel and hedman an half the NHL should sue Cooke.

No matter how much you want to clean up the game, the fact remains hockey is a very dangerous sport and you should assume all risks when you play at the highest level. We've come to a point in society where we want to always blame the other guy. Sure, this would have all been avoided if bertuzzi didn't cheap shot moore. Then again, this could all have been avoided if Moore didn't cheap shot naslund. At any rate, naslund, Moore, and bertuzzi all share some blame in this mess. When you get injured it's your fault and the other players fault. Therefore, in my opinion, the injured player assumes some of the blame and ALL of the risk. Don't play hockey if you want to get injured. And don't head hunt on the leagues top scorer if you don't want to fight (and yea you might have to fight multiple times. Claude Lemieux wasn't done after he turtles against McCarty)

The reason this lawsuit is allowed/occurring, is because it was premeditated (I believe this is documented). I certainly don't agree with the money, but IMO that is why this case is allowed to occur.

The issue is the amount he is suing for, nothing more. At least, that's my issue, which I also suspect most others would have as well. Now, you could argue that Moore wouldn't be in the league anyway, even if the incident didn't occur. You can certainly argue that Bertuzzi didn't end his career. I think those arguments woudl be brought up to defend against the claims, but that doesnt' change the fact that Moore at least has some legitmate reason to sue for damages. I have no problem at all with that (even though it's realively unoridinary). It's the amount he is suing for that's the problem.

I think the reason he is suing at all has something to due with his nature of a borderline player. This guy wasn't getting rich playing the game, so he's now looking to get paid so he can live of the windfall. If Bertuzzi had done this to a star player that had made millions over his career, there may be less of a chance for lawsuit (I could be totally wrong though, maybe in that case, lawyers would get involved and want MORE money).

The problem is, you can probably make a more direct link between what Bertuzzi did and Moore now being out of the league. If you think about Lindros, he had years of concussion issues, you can't really blame it on one incident. Same with Savard.

Same with Savard.

I thinks it is pretty clear to everyone who actually ended Savard career, when it happened and how it happened. I think the actual difference is that Savard was better player and earned a plenty of money himself. That is a bit unfair...