• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RusDRW

Yet another lawsuit filed against Bert

Rate this topic

I thinks it is pretty clear to everyone who actually ended Savard career, when it happened and how it happened. I think the actual difference is that Savard was better player and earned a plenty of money himself. That is a bit unfair...

Savard has a long history of concussion problems which started way before he ever came into contact with Matt Cooke.

I thinks it is pretty clear to everyone who actually ended Savard career, when it happened and how it happened. I think the actual difference is that Savard was better player and earned a plenty of money himself. That is a bit unfair...

Cooke's hit on Savard was a completely legal play at the time. Rightly or not, concussions that way are still considered a part of typical hockey play and within the bounds of the game, even when they may eventually end a player's career.

Being chased down from behind and suckerpunched, particularly after open threats by players in the media, is not considered a typical hockey play. It's also important to remember that the Avs and Canucks had played one another after the Naslund hit, without incident. It was a tie game, and Colin Campbell and Bettman were in attendance. The Bertuzzi incident happened in the second game after the Naslund hit, late in the game when the score was well out of reach for the Nucks.

It makes it seem awfully like premeditated vengeance.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I think you missed his point there. The point wasn't that Moore was expendable, the point is that he almost certainly wouldn't have made 38 million dollars as a player.

So when you say you would be happy if Moore won, do you mean if he is awarded the full 40 million? You really believe Bertuzzi should be paying out of his own pocket for likely the rest of his life for a one time lapse of judgement in a heated situation after already serving his original punishment?

Isn't that how a justice system supposed to work? If you miss a stop sign and hit someone with your car and seriously injure them, wouldn't you "be paying out of (your) own pocket for likely the rest of (your) life for a one time lapse of judgement"?

It seems that Moore claims that Bertuzzi's hit caused him a brain injury that not only ended his hockey carreer, but also jeopardized his post-hockey carreer in finance, that Moore's Harvard degree could lead to. That's part of the $40 mil lifetime earnings figure. Also I'm sure pain and suffering and legal expenses figure prominently.

Bertuzzi already pled guilty to this in the criminal case. So it is now proper for the civil court to decide how much compensation is fair. Moore's attorneys would be negligent if they didn't try to open the bidding as high as possible.

Isn't that how a justice system supposed to work? If you miss a stop sign and hit someone with your car and seriously injure them, wouldn't you "be paying out of (your) own pocket for likely the rest of (your) life for a one time lapse of judgement"?

It seems that Moore claims that Bertuzzi's hit caused him a brain injury that not only ended his hockey carreer, but also jeopardized his post-hockey carreer in finance, that Moore's Harvard degree could lead to. That's part of the $40 mil lifetime earnings figure. Also I'm sure pain and suffering and legal expenses figure prominently.

Bertuzzi already pled guilty to this in the criminal case. So it is now proper for the civil court to decide how much compensation is fair. Moore's attorneys would be negligent if they didn't try to open the bidding as high as possible.

From what I have read in interviews with Moore's lawyers the 38 million is straight up the amount they decided would have earned from playing and the extra couple million is for the rest, those reports could have been wrong but I trust the Globe and Mail do their research before posting articles. Also, I am not arguing the point of starting the bidding that high, its obvious and done with almost every lawsuit I have ever heard about. I was simply asking the poster that I had quoted if he thought that amount was fair since he said he would be happy if Moore just flat out won.

No, you wouldn't be paying the claim out of your own pocket for that. Thats the whole point of insurance.

Edited by sleepwalker