• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Nathan MacKinnon

Rate this topic

Anyone heard of him? If not, I guess you will soon. He just turned 16 a few days ago and has 5 pts in his first 2 games in Major Junior. He's getting quite a bit of hype out in Eastern Canada (he was selected 1st overall in the draft earlier this year).

He's getting comparisons to Crosby as well. Now, I think the comparisons to Crosby and all the hype have a lot to do with where's he's from and where he has played. He's from Cole Harbour, NS, played Bantam AAA for the Cole Harbour Red Wings (same as Crosby) and went to Shattuck Saint Mary's boarding school (Same as Crosby).

So, he looks to be a good player so far, but he's probably geeting more hype than deserved just because of all of that. Let's see what happens in the next two years though.

This kid has been dubbed the next Crosby for a long time now, almost a year. Most hockey fans should have heard of him by now. I won't get into the ridiculous hype and expectations being put on him but every hockey fan should probably know his name already. TSN did some features on him a few months ago.

Sports Illustrated: Nathan MacKinnon

I think I just became a MacKinnon fan

On how bad he is at golf:

“I used to hate riding with him because he was a f------ lunatic,” Colorado defenseman Tyson Barrie says. “He had no business getting mad, but still he would scream. And if you laughed, he’d yell at you.”

On the spectrum:

"Andy O’Brien (personal trainer), who remembers a teenage MacKinnon once performing a high-knees drill for five minutes because O’Brien got distracted and forgot to say stop."

His first day with the team:

who upon entering the Avalanche locker room promptly declared that everyone should call him Nate Dogg, or The Dogg. “If he says it’s not self-proclaimed, he’s lying,” Landeskog says.

Sakic fears him:

Today, Sakic maintains an open-door policy with MacKinnon, welcoming suggestions on everything from roster construction to breakfast menus.

Puke and rally:

Around nine in the morning after the 2013 NHL draft, MacKinnon had every right to still be sleeping—or celebrating—in Newark. Instead he was hundreds of miles away, exhausted from an overnight flight and fueled only by yogurt parfait, bent over along the sands of Brackley Beach on Prince Edward Island, determined to keep pace with his childhood idol. “Didn’t even bat an eye,” Crosby says. “He puked everywhere and was like, ‘O.K., what are we doing next?’ ”

On training with Crosby (they are BFFs)

O’Brien laments how simple warmup laps would become full-contact races, so this summer the trainer all but banned exercises that pit them head-to-head.

Fortnite + Hitler dog:

Outside of golf, his hobbies include playing Fortnite and hanging out with Cox, a protection-trained German shepherd who only knows Deutsch commands. (“A badass,” MacKinnon says.)

I gotta rewatch TPB:

and for a cameo on Netflix’s Trailer Park Boys. Playing a youth hockey instructor on the dopey—and doped-up—mockumentary based in Nova Scotia, MacKinnon gets introduced to one of the main characters by a grade-school boy like this: “That’s Nathan MacKinnon, you dumbass.”

The Halifax mafia:

MacKinnon is ready to play his part. The way he sees things, Sakic purposefully stayed “patient” on the transaction wire this summer with an eye toward 2019.  As such, MacKinnon is ready to ramp up his recruiting efforts, pitching big-ticket free agents on the year-round golf and super-chill GM. “I’ll be calling guys in the offseason,” he promises. “I don’t want to be patient for too much longer.”

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Around nine in the morning after the 2013 NHL draft, MacKinnon had every right to still be sleeping—or celebrating—in Newark. Instead he was hundreds of miles away, exhausted from an overnight flight and fueled only by yogurt parfait, bent over along the sands of Brackley Beach on Prince Edward Island, determined to keep pace with his childhood idol. “Didn’t even bat an eye,” Crosby says. “He puked everywhere and was like, ‘O.K., what are we doing next?’ ”

Fun fact. 10 minute drive from my house lol

Everyone knows Frk was the real star of that Halifax team.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Fun fact. 10 minute drive from my house lol

Never been to PEI, but have been to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (in the summer). loved it up there. Quebec?.......Not so much.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Everyone knows Frk was the real star of that Halifax team.

Never been to PEI, but have been to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (in the summer). loved it up there.

sumthin sumthin lobster sumthin anne of green gables