• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Datsyuk to wear 24 in preseason to honor Salei

Rate this topic

Guest 13GoWings40

Nice tribute by Dats, I can't remember another player as established as him ever switching his number for a tribute.

As a side note, did anyone else think it looked really weird seeing #24 on Datsyuk? I kinda had to do a double take when I saw that

I was looking all over the place for Pasha and then I saw him with #24, and I knew what he was doing. What a beautiful tribute to his friend. I even got a hug from him this morning! :wub: Man, Pav, you made my week!!!

I was looking all over the place for Pasha and then I saw him with #24, and I knew what he was doing. What a beautiful tribute to his friend. I even got a hug from him this morning! :wub: Man, Pav, you made my week!!!

How are you not still a pile of goo over that hug?

You know what??? I don't really know. And then he gives me a wink and says, "See you tomorrow." Oh yes, you will, honey... :sly:

Who says she's not?

Maybe she's just an incredibly well-put-together pile of goo.

Wonderful for Pasha to do this for Salei. No wonder our Pat is so fond of him. On or off the ice, he is rivaling Nick as the Perfect Human.

...but...but...the Wings don't have any class. That's what I hear from other teams fans....

anyhow, great, GREAT move by Pav and shows his super huge heart! I am interested to see the patches. I still think it would be super cool if the NHL put a small sticker of their logo on the back of ALL helmets this year. There were so many former NHL players and a few who hadn't yet had the chance to come over. I wish Illitch would paint Salei's and McCrimmon's name in the ice for the season as well. Over the top? I don't think so... I just know (hope) that there will be a moment of silence in the home opener vs. Ottawa for those two and their teammates.

I can hear Bud Lynch now: "And now fans, would you please remove your hats and join the Red Wings in a moment of silence for our fallen teammates, Brad McCrimmon and Ruslan Salei, may they and their teammates rest in peace......" Dim the lights, spot light on their names in the ice and cue up the pictures of them on the jumbo-tron.......silence..... "Thank you and now will you remain standing and welcome the Red Wings own, Karen Newman, for the Canadian and U.S. Natioanl Athem's...." (they may even mention Demitra since he was an Ottawa Senator for a bit...that would be cool and classy...)

Classless bunch of players, my ass.

I know! Sheesh! I remember an Av's fan in here one year saying Sakic had more class than Yzerman because he handed the Cup to Bourque first and Yzerman (or anyone else) has ever done something that classy. (I guess Lidstrom handing off to Drake doesn't count either...) When I mentioned that Yzerman handed the Cup to the Illitch Family in 1997, Konstantinov in a wheel chair in 1998 and Scotty in 2002, he still argued with me... oh well! Go Pav! Go Wings!

Edited by LeftWinger

I am really glad that Pavel is doing what he can to honor Salei. It's a bittersweet but fitting tribute from someone who is obviously very respectful of what it means to pay honor to those lost in this tragedy. Don't even know what else to say. While it's been a couple weeks, whenever I think about this whole situation, it's still just incredibly sad. It's one of those events that really puts a lot of things in perspective.

good move pasha, im sure ill miss him out there a few times due to the fact thats he not in his usual 13 :P

a little off topic, but did you see at the bottom that eaves is getting tried out on top line minutes because hes become a leader in the weight and locker room? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

When I see him tomorrow, I will make it a point to tell him that we all think his tribute is a wonderful thing, and we think he's a pretty classy guy. Of course I always knew he was, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

A typical move by Pavs, I just hope this isn't affecting him too much now. He's always been much more thoughtful, much more emotional & sensitive than your average hockey player. Grief effects us all differently and there is no right or wrong way to react to it, but this tragedy seems to be a real weight he's carrying round.

I was watching some DVR'd episodes of Wingsan yesterday. One of them was great moments of last season and of course they were highlighting Pavel's great hands; the first teammate to be interviewed on the subject was Rusty. It was kind of a shock to see him there.