• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Brunnstrom

Fabian Brunnstrom

Rate this topic

as soon as fabian got hit by aulie, he disappeared.

and on the cbc broadcast they kept saying how babcock said that fabian is the strongest red wing. that scares me.

i'd be willing to take a flyer on on him as the 13th forward for a while but im not sold with this small sample size in the preseason.

Yeah, he's probably going to start as a reserve forward, and it'll up entirelly up to him whether he sticks around when Mursak returns. He's got to hustle every night and not take any nights off, look at Cleary and Eaves when they first arrived, they haven't stopped providing energy since they were signed. Brunnstrom's challenge is to build off a strong PS and play hard every night, if he does we might look elsewhere when it comes to trading/waiving a player, if he doesn't he'll be sent back to GR.

Brunnstrom got smoked a few times tonight, but I thought he was still skating hard and trying to make some chances. Really the game was just so thoroughly dominated by Helm that it was hard to notice anyone else.

Bert basically carried the team in December - January. I don't know which games you were watching.

The ones in which Jimmy carried the team.

Brunnstrom got smoked a few times tonight, but I thought he was still skating hard and trying to make some chances. Really the game was just so thoroughly dominated by Helm that it was hard to notice anyone else.

Bruno looked pretty gassed out there in the 3rd.

Edited by dragonballgtz

The ones in which Jimmy carried the team.

If i recall correctly during that stretch jimmy was carrying the team yes but big bert was the only one consistently scoring goals for us during that stretch.

With Jan out itll most likely be Fabian and Cory making it for the final two spots. Then when Mursak gets back we may see a trade involving a forward who is considered extra. Ideally by the time Mursak does come back someone like Hudler, Brunno or Emmerton.will have upped their trade value enough to get a decent return.

.54 ppg for a player making $1.5m (less than that in '09-'10) is great, and Bertuzzi was vital to the Wings making the playoffs in '09-'10. He is also hugely durable. I don't know what you expect from the team's lesser-paid players, but your expectations seem to be absurd.

Bertuzzi has been durable as a Wing. However, Hudler has missed 16 games since joining the Wings full-time in 2006-07 and a few of those were as a healthy scratch. Bertuzzi missed 16 in 2008-09 alone, and 14 the year before. 2006-07 he was suspended most of the year, so we'll count that year out to make up for Hudler's missing 2009-10 season and it equals out to four years each for Hudler and Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi is also getting older, and players typically become less durable as they age; suggesting that going forward younger players like Flip, Hudler, Brunnstrom, Emmerton, etc. will be playing the games and Bert will be the one missing them.

In those four years, the stats work out as such:

Hudler: 312 GP, 61g-100a-161pt

Bertuzzi: 297 GP, 63g-70a-133pt

Bertuzzi may have done pretty well for a short stretch, but over the past four seasons he's consistently been a 15-20 goal, 40-50 point forward. I'll take the guy on his way up who's shown some serious talent instead of the guy who's on his way down and playing at a similar level if not worse.

But this Bertuzzi and Hudler stuff is off topic. So let's get back on it.

Brunnstrom has looked pretty good and realistically, there's no reason not to have him on the roster. Unless Johnson makes the top 12 on his faceoff abilities alone, you can't cut one of Bruno or Cory. Conner doesn't stand much of a chance; he's a smaller, slightly faster Miller who's not quite as good. Only way he makes the team is by beating Johnson AND Miller. Very unlikely... although Mursak/Helm/Conner sounds sweet. Not quite a Mogilny/Fedorov/Bure or Bure/Courtnall/Mogilny... but what is? Few guys in the league are even that fast... let alone guys on the same team. Assuming Bruno makes the top 12, and Babs goes with the lines he was using:

Huds/Dats/Cleary

Flip/Hank/Mule

Abby/Helm/Bert

That leaves this line:

Homer/Bruno/Eaves

And Miller and Emmerton get scratched. Or you scratch Homer, slide Brunnstrom to the left and move Emmerton in; or swap in Miller for Homer. If he's not in the top six, he's far less useful; and he's probably the worst 5-on-5 player the team has, so he needs to be shifted out of there. The PP will survive without him, although it's better with him. Cleary, Bert, and Franzen can handle the net-front stuff.

Brunnstorm did seem sort of out of it near the end, but admittedly he only looked slow relatively. He didn't make any huge mistakes, but he didn't produce. With three of those goals pretty nice (wraparound should not have been a goal, the goalie got bumped by his D) Brunnstorm's performance wasn't stellar.

Nyquist is gonna make it before Brunnstorm who will make it before Emmerton. But we'll see all three soon enough.

Brunnstorm did seem sort of out of it near the end, but admittedly he only looked slow relatively. He didn't make any huge mistakes, but he didn't produce. With three of those goals pretty nice (wraparound should not have been a goal, the goalie got bumped by his D) Brunnstorm's performance wasn't stellar.

Nyquist would have to make the top six, maybe even the top four, to make the roster. Not even CLOSE to happening.

Also... so Brunnstrom didn't produce in one game against Toronto's NHL roster while playing on a roster of Griffins with the occasional Wing sprinkled in. He's already earned his spot. The competition for the spot was between Bruno, Cory, Johnson, and Conner for one spot. The first two have now basically locked up a spot with Mursak's injury, as Conner is redundant and Johnson has been terrible.

Nyquist is gonna make it before Brunnstorm who will make it before Emmerton. But we'll see all three soon enough.

Nyquist would have to make the top six, maybe even the top four, to make the roster. Not even CLOSE to happening.

Also... so Brunnstrom didn't produce in one game against Toronto's NHL roster while playing on a roster of Griffins with the occasional Wing sprinkled in. He's already earned his spot. The competition for the spot was between Bruno, Cory, Johnson, and Conner for one spot. The first two have now basically locked up a spot with Mursak's injury, as Conner is redundant and Johnson has been terrible.

I think RedBengals is closer to the truth than you think. And Eva, you should know by now, as a Red Wing you are only as valuable as your latest game, unless you do something awesome at some point. Remember when Eaves got his hattrick and how he was seen as a God? People forget he really didn't do anything at all after or before that moment. I thought Brunners has looked very good this pre-season, he's playing like he wants to be a Wing, but I've seen Nyquist outperform just about everyone, including Brunnstrom.

In my opinion, there are 2 forwards on the Wings who don't deserve their spots on current talent levels but have them based on contracts and loyalty. That will end this year. When it does, both Nyquist and Brunnstrom will have better opportunities.

Expect to see the younger guys break through NEXT year. This year is a swan song year for the Wings (unfortunately, to us fans).

It would be great if he could at least get a two-way deal with us. He probably has outplayed Emmerton but I really can't see Kenny letting Cory go unless he truly believes that Brunnstrom can out play him night in and night out in every aspect of the game. Brunnstrom would provide a little more depth, I know the Wings already are a very deep team but the Wings are famous for adding more and more and it wouldn't hurt to have him at least in GR for call-ups when players get injured. Also think of the coming season's Holmstrom and Bertuzzi won't be on this team forever and he could be a main stay on the roster next season if the Wings can work out a two-way deal for him this season.

It would be great if he could at least get a two-way deal with us. He probably has outplayed Emmerton but I really can't see Kenny letting Cory go unless he truly believes that Brunnstrom can out play him night in and night out in every aspect of the game. Brunnstrom would provide a little more depth, I know the Wings already are a very deep team but the Wings are famous for adding more and more and it wouldn't hurt to have him at least in GR for call-ups when players get injured. Also think of the coming season's Holmstrom and Bertuzzi won't be on this team forever and he could be a main stay on the roster next season if the Wings can work out a two-way deal for him this season.

The unfortunate side of Bruno's fine pre-season is that he probably wouldn't clear waivers.

Guest Crymson

Expect to see the younger guys break through NEXT year. This year is a swan song year for the Wings (unfortunately, to us fans).

lol. I think it's hilarious how "fans" make blanket statement of the Wings` downfall, and how they do so even before the season starts. Which team do you cheer for? I don't think it's the Wings.

With the announcement that Nyquist has been assigned to Grand Rapids, will this put to bed the idea that Brunnstrom might not make the team?

I don't think Nyquist not making the team means Brunnstorm will for sure. Both showed lots of promise. Nyquist I thought would have edged out Brunnstorm, but Brunnstorm's got that size advantage and can plant himself in front of the net for some physical offensive play. Nyquist is more talented offensively I feel, but the Wings need a bigger forward this year so I would understand Brumnstorm making the team. Still, nothing happens til it happens, there's a decent chance either way.

Brunnstorm's got that size advantage and can plant himself in front of the net for some physical offensive play.

Ehhh he does but the Wings already kind of made that mistake trying to force Ville Leino to stay in front the net. Maybe it'll be different for Brunnstrom but I'd be wary of that.

Ehhh he does but the Wings already kind of made that mistake trying to force Ville Leino to stay in front the net. Maybe it'll be different for Brunnstrom but I'd be wary of that.

He has shown he can play like Bertuzzi does, bully your way to rebounds and goals. However, he got rocked during the last Toronto game and sort of vanished from relevancy. That wasn't good to see. It was a hard hit but he really slowed down afterwards. I will feel much better about him if he shows better focus and passion on the ice next time. Strength training is cool and all but he needs to use it now.

He has shown he can play like Bertuzzi does, bully your way to rebounds and goals. However, he got rocked during the last Toronto game and sort of vanished from relevancy. That wasn't good to see. It was a hard hit but he really slowed down afterwards. I will feel much better about him if he shows better focus and passion on the ice next time. Strength training is cool and all but he needs to use it now.

Very true. If I were him I would join Zetterberg for every off ice workout and training session. Pretty much follow him around the way Jimmy used to with Ozzie.

I think I'll have a new term for situations like these. Player showing great potential followed by complete fail; "going Dallas". Used in a sentence...."I hope Fabian doesn't go Dallas on the us".

On the bright side, look what happned with Leino going to Philly. Totally lame with us, into a big part of that Philly team. Huge upside to getting this kid locked in and see what a change of scenery can do. In addition, I'm guessing/hoping the Swedes on the team are helping his comfort level and preperation.

Pulling for him.

Friday can't come soon enough. Go Wings!!!