#61 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

Here's hoping he gets a shot.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#62 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

It might just be the eternal optimist in me but I have a hunch that Hudler has a good year (Think 60 points)and that its either Bertuzzi or Miller who end up being dealt or waived when Mursak gets back.

#63 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

It might just be the eternal optimist in me but I have a hunch that Hudler has a good year (Think 60 points)and that its either Bertuzzi or Miller who end up being dealt or waived when Mursak gets back.

Bert isn't going anywhere I don't think

#64 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Bert won't be traded. He is our type of a player.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#65 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

Bert won't be traded. He is our type of a player.

So was Shanahan. You don't produce, you don't play. There would be a healthly market for Bert with other teams (not great...but healthy enough to get rid of him fairly easily if needed). These young kids for us are going to keep these vets looking over their shoulders...which I think is a great thing for our team. Competition breeds success. Bert, Eaves, Miller, Commodore, Hudler, even Homer...these guys better bring night-in and night-out or they could be sent packing (minus Homer, who'd they'd figure out a classy way for him to finish the year and then make it clear that they have no intention of keeping him. Followed by highly encouraging him to retire and they'll make a big hoopla out of it with off-season Presser and job offer in our European system).

Also, with all of this inter-team competition...I keep forgetting we have a good deal of cap space left!! Rolling four lines is huge, and this makes us very, very deep (young in areas, but deep and talented). I'm liking what this could look like come April.

Future looks bright for the Wings.

EDIT: btw...just to clarify...Shanny's offer from the Wings was way below market value at the time and was viewed by most as an indication that the Wings would have liked Shanny back...but only if they could get him at a big time discount. I've read interviews that Shanny and his camp took this as a signal that Wings management was moving on.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 30 September 2011 - 11:06 AM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#66 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

No way Bert gets moved especially on his last year of his contract and probably his last year as a player. He loves it here and majority of the fans like him, no way they do that to him considering hes good for 40-50 points a year and is a huge threat in the shootouts.

#67 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

No.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#68 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

well, when mursak returns and we have a surplus of forwards we can package a few of them for a trade deadline deal for a top6 forward.

#69 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

So was Shanahan. You don't produce, you don't play. There would be a healthly market for Bert with other teams (not great...but healthy enough to get rid of him fairly easily if needed). These young kids for us are going to keep these vets looking over their shoulders...which I think is a great thing for our team. Competition breeds success. Bert, Eaves, Miller, Commodore, Hudler, even Homer...these guys better bring night-in and night-out or they could be sent packing (minus Homer, who'd they'd figure out a classy way for him to finish the year and then make it clear that they have no intention of keeping him. Followed by highly encouraging him to retire and they'll make a big hoopla out of it with off-season Presser and job offer in our European system).

Also, with all of this inter-team competition...I keep forgetting we have a good deal of cap space left!! Rolling four lines is huge, and this makes us very, very deep (young in areas, but deep and talented). I'm liking what this could look like come April.

Future looks bright for the Wings.

EDIT: btw...just to clarify...Shanny's offer from the Wings was way below market value at the time and was viewed by most as an indication that the Wings would have liked Shanny back...but only if they could get him at a big time discount. I've read interviews that Shanny and his camp took this as a signal that Wings management was moving on.

Completely different situations.

We were coming back from a lockout and had to get under the cap a couple season later. Shanny balked at the Wings 3mil offer and went with the Rangers at 4 Million, taking up 10% of the team's cap hit. Wings got out just in time, because Shanny went from 82 points with the Wings to 62, 46, and then finally 14. Plus we had Datsyuk and Zetterberg breaking out as stars, we didn't need Shanahan. With Bertuzzi we know we're getting 40-45 points from him and he is taking up a shade under 2mil of cap. On top of that, we have no one to replace him and his production. Mursak won't, Emmerton won't, and Brunnstrom is a wait and see thus far. Bertuzzi is going no where.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#70 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

When did Shanahan not produce? When has Bert not produced? And when have the Wings played musical chairs with their players via trades and waivers? Do you think this would be a good idea? Why do you think the organization doesn't do it? Do you notice that the team never signs players who are lazy or have bad attitudes? Why do you think this is?

Umm no. $4m was fair market value at the time, given that the salary cap was roughly $42m. Shanahan took the exact same salary contract from the Rangers. He left because he felt that he identified more with the older generation of Red Wings than with the new.

#71 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

well, when mursak returns and we have a surplus of forwards we can package a few of them for a trade deadline deal for a top6 forward.

What package could we offer to land a top six forward? last season 3rd liners were fetching a 1st and a 3rd, and now you think a couple 3rd and 4th liners will land a 2nd liner?
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#72 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

and let it be Hemsky... I would give a lot for that guy. Can we imagine Dats and Hemsky on the same line?
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#73 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

When did Shanahan not produce? When has Bert not produced? And when have the Wings played musical chairs with their players via trades and waivers? Do you think this would be a good idea? Why do you think the organization doesn't do it? Do you notice that the team never signs players who are lazy or have bad attitudes? Why do you think this is?

Umm no. $4m was fair market value at the time, given that the salary cap was roughly $42m. Shanahan took the exact same salary contract from the Rangers. He left because he felt that he identified more with the older generation of Red Wings than with the new.

Frankly I dont think Bert has produced that much. He has 89 points in 163 games over the past two seasons. Thats .54 points p/game. Hudler in his last 155 games has 94 points, which is .61 points per game. Now I know everyone will say that Beruzzi is bigger and more physical and we need that type of player on the roster but is Bertuzzi really all that physical?I dont think so. Hes more physical than Hudler but my 12 week old kitten can make the same claim. I'm just not convinced that Bertuzzi is worth the money.

Now all this will be a moot point if Hudler comes out of the gate and sucks but if hes producing I dont see how he should be the guy who goes.

#74 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

Pardon my french;

I love Miller, but how in the Sam Bernstein f*** could someone neg you for that post?

I cannot believe that people are actually worried about some damn little number in the lower right hand corner of a post.

Now as for Brunnstrom, I think at worst he secured himself a minor league contract here, definitely improved his chances lately to make the Wings and with some recent injuries to other probables. Would love to have him in the system.

With his performance this preseason some team will ****** him up while he is going through waivers.

No way Bert gets moved especially on his last year of his contract and probably his last year as a player. He loves it here and majority of the fans like him, no way they do that to him considering hes good for 40-50 points a year and is a huge threat in the shootouts.

Considering that he has a modified NTC is pretty much a guarantee that he will not be moved.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 30 September 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#75 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

When did Shanahan not produce? When has Bert not produced?

Shanahan took the exact same salary contract from the Rangers. He left because he felt that he identified more with the older generation of Red Wings than with the new.

Umm...Shanahan was under very heavy criticism for his last three years of playoff performances during his Wings tenure. 19 playoff points in 01-02 followed by 10 playoff points the following three playoff apperances combined. Dave Lewis (as even keel a guy/coach that there is) even called him out several times in the paper saying the Wings needed more. Plus, 2 total points in the playoff's his last season with the Wings....if he expected to get a match salary or raise with the Wings he was crazy.

Identified with the older generation of Wings than with the new?? Ummm, Shanny has said publicy that he felt the offer was low and an indication that it was time to move on. I don't even understand what "identified with older generation" means??? Are we talking about a record collection or his hall of fame career? Ending a run with the team and town who you've won three cups with because you identify with older generation??
ENJOY THE RIDE

#76 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

I cannot believe that people are actually worried about some damn little number in the lower right hand corner of a post.

I actually lose sleep over them.

:rolleyes:

#77 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

Considering that he has a modified NTC is pretty much a guarantee that he will not be moved.

Possibly. However, vetrans tend to get very neogotiable when faced with the prospect of being sent down and taking bus trips across the country to get to games.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#78 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Possibly. However, vetrans tend to get very neogotiable when faced with the prospect of being sent down and taking bus trips across the country to get to games.

But that won't happen to Bert. He isn't someone that I want on this team but Babs seems to like him even with all his flaws.

#79 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

I understand that Bert doesn't bring as much as people like, but he is a good veteran player on our team that when need be will show his tough side. 2010-11 preseason on orpik when Franzen got kneed, 2010-11 playoffs. His other selling point, his contract. I like Bert for what he does and what he gets paid.

The problem is we were extremely deep at center last year and still a little this year. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Draper, Helm were all centers. You swap Filppula on the Wing as a top 6 that now puts Bert exactly where he should be... 3rd line. Bertuzzi was forced into a scoring role with our lack of depth at the wing. With Filppula playing Wing and the possibility of adding a 3+ million winnger that takes that load off of his back and doesn't put him in a posistion to play well above him at his age and pay.

#80 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Simple answer - with the way Brunnstrom has played this preseason, he has earned a contract, remove Mursak due to the injury and that gets raised from contract, to roster spot... when Mursak returns, you make the tough decision then of who gets exposed to waivers... that is not a decsision that needs to be made now

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.