• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

9/21 Exhibition GDT: Red Wings 2 at Penguins 3

Rate this topic

why is does johnson have an R next to his name.

is there another johnson on the team?

i apologize for using the word johnson.

He has worn it that way for a long, long time. I don't know where he started, maybe when he was traded to Tampa from Florida back in 99-00 he did it because he played with Mike Johnson on Tampa and then it St. Louis he played with Brent Johnson, then again with Mike Johnson and also Erik Johnson, maybe now he just may think of it as a superstition or something or just because he has worn it so much, he likes to have the R. on there. This is Greg Johnson's younger brother, wonder how ol' Greg is doing with his health issues these days... Anyhow, Good Luck to Ryan!

Seriously. Does being in Pitt just infect people with *******-itis? I notice they downplayed it when Datsyuk absolutely embarrassed "Geno" behind the Pens net.

And that's another thing, they need to quit ******* calling him "Geno" like they're BFFs and have tea parties together.

Kinda like when Bill Clement always called Lidstrom "Nicky." Gosh I f'ing hated that, like he was best friends with him his whole life, I am willing to bet even Lidstrom's mom doesn't call him Nicky!

WHAT? So now you can turn your back to a guy skating next to you and get an automatic 5-minute major? Jesus.

Edit: Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that is absolutely f***ed...

That is how players are going to draw a ton of 5 minute majors this year. Consider it a "diving" type penalty call, turn your back on the guy at the last minute and now instead of being check off the puck, you have drawn a 5 minute major and helped your team out. Guys do it all the time, they have for a long time, they turn their back to you and face the boards knowing you cannot check them, now this new rule gives them even more incentive to do so and it is going to make the NHL look even more ridiculous. Consider these two new rules, the Crosby Rules. You cannot play someone hard on the boards anymore and you cannot line someone up in the middle of the ice if they are admiring a pass or just accepted a pass. Konstantinov and Scott Stevens would've been run out of the league with these dumb ass rules. Phuck Crosby, so now we have to change rules to protect him when he returns to the lineup? Screw that, I hope he gets his bell rung first game back!

How was that not a penalty on the Brunnstrom play? The Pens player slashed the stick right out of his hands.

You didn't hear the announcers say that the player "smartly" knocked the stick out of his hands before he got the shot off? I guess if the announcers say it was a smart play then it's not a penalty! :ninja: (oh, but they were call for a coup d'état when it happened to "Geno" on a powerplay earlier...go figure)

After watching this game, it's painfully obvious to me that Detroit doesn't have what it takes to compete with the upper echelon teams in the sport.

And the Pens didn't even have Crosby. :o

The Wings didn't have Zetterberg, Filppula, Lidstrom, Franzen, Bertuzzi, Helm or Abdelkader... not to mention Ian White.

I am not sure who else the Pens were missing, but they did have a lot of their starters in, more than we did for sure. They were sans Staal and Kennedy (did Kennedy play last night?) but other than that, they were icing an NHL team. As someone mentioned earlier during the Malkin suck-fest by the announcers, its a given that Malkin wouldn't have Brunnstrom defending him in a regular season game, let alone playoffs, so he won't be as "noticeable" during the season.

I didn't think we were too bad last night, besides a couple of defensive breakdowns. I thought everyone (especially Pavel) looked pretty good. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the preseason goes. Was nice to just sit down and watch hockey...that's for sure.

My thoughts after the game:

1. The young kids looked good. Tator and Mursak where flying around and Emmerton did nothing to lose the last forward spot.

2. Smith is NHL ready now. I would love to see him up this year a lot but we cant be greedy and another year of 20+ minutes in GR will be great for him and the team next season

3. Hudler must really be worried about losing his spot and getting moved. He showed more jump and speed last night than any game last year.

4. I liked Brunnstrom but the hot dog move on the breakaway is just not acceptable when your trying to win a spot. Take the puck hard backhand and he scores probably. The one hand on the stick made it to easy for the D to break up.

5. Cleary looked real good minus the one lack of concentration and boarding call.

6. Jimmy looked very rusty. Should have been better with all 3 goals.

7. Dats is just Dats. Nothing more needs to be said.

8. Kronner looked real good getting into the offence always at the right time.

Malkin didn't even have to wash his knob this morning after all that polishing it got last night. He drove past an AHL dman to score! He's God! And his "passing the puck between his legs" domination that I kept hearing about was nothing more than a turnover in the offensive zone cause he took too long to pass it to someone. Datsyuk goes through his legs all the time and actually makes the play. In summary, Datsyuk is better. :P

esteef

I see Kronner being the Kris Letang of the 2012 season.

It took Gonchar leavings Pittsburgh for Letang to shine, and I think a reduction in Lidstrom's ice time will do wonders for Kronner. He looks filthy taking passes in the slot on the fly and going top cheese. Oh, and it's a contract year too.

Malkin didn't even have to wash his knob this morning after all that polishing it got last night. He drove past an AHL dman to score! He's God! And his "passing the puck between his legs" domination that I kept hearing about was nothing more than a turnover in the offensive zone cause he took too long to pass it to someone. Datsyuk goes through his legs all the time and actually makes the play. In summary, Datsyuk is better. :P

esteef

Those Pittsburgh announcers are the NHLs worst. I hate to acknowlege that the Detroit Red Wings once employed Bob Errey. What an annoying dickwad.

Edited by vladdy16

esteef

I dunno man. I know if you go through the previous pages I back Malkin a lot. Maybe it was because I was having a few beverages along with some stuff that's green but I could really focus in and notice things.

Did anyone notice Holmstrom pull a few "yeah I'm still sweet" moves? Probably not. But I did. Homer of all people had a few moments of "this is how it's done kids". Were they few? Yes; but they did happen.

How could you not notice Malkin was playing great. It's alright to like other hockey players you know? Ones that aren't in the winged wheel. I am one to HATE the pens, I HATE them. I HATE Cindy Crysbaby and will be the first one to whip out my tin foil hat when it comes to the NHL man love for him. But Malkin is actually an awesomely skilled player. Could you imagine if he was on the Wings paired with Zeta or Dats? Talk about a ******* nightmare of sheer orgasm.

Also, was it annoying to listen to the Pittsburgh announcers slob all over him? Of course it was but isn't that what homers do to their star player? How many times does the competition have to hear about Datsyuk's magical moves? Lidstrom's ability to be a perfect human? We love it. And people need to realize that in hockey it is alright to give credit where credit is due. Malkin will easily be the player of the year for Pitts; even if Cindy does come back.

Rant off. Don't neg me bro.

I dunno man. I know if you go through the previous pages I back Malkin a lot. Maybe it was because I was having a few beverages along with some stuff that's green but I could really focus in and notice things.

Did anyone notice Holmstrom pull a few "yeah I'm still sweet" moves? Probably not. But I did. Homer of all people had a few moments of "this is how it's done kids". Were they few? Yes; but they did happen.

How could you not notice Malkin was playing great. It's alright to like other hockey players you know? Ones that aren't in the winged wheel. I am one to HATE the pens, I HATE them. I HATE Cindy Crysbaby and will be the first one to whip out my tin foil hat when it comes to the NHL man love for him. But Malkin is actually an awesomely skilled player. Could you imagine if he was on the Wings paired with Zeta or Dats? Talk about a ******* nightmare of sheer orgasm.

Also, was it annoying to listen to the Pittsburgh announcers slob all over him? Of course it was but isn't that what homers do to their star player? How many times does the competition have to hear about Datsyuk's magical moves? Lidstrom's ability to be a perfect human? We love it. And people need to realize that in hockey it is alright to give credit where credit is due. Malkin will easily be the player of the year for Pitts; even if Cindy does come back.

Your rational post filled with truth & logic does not belong here. This is LGW for God's sake. Malkin is one step below Bantam level and he was owned by Conner & Mursak last night. Oh, and by the way Crosby is a *****, notice he was invisible on the ice last night. :yowza:

Guest Heaten

He wasn't necessarily as bad with turnovers are you make him out to be. He made a few, but not a lot. That's to be expected when you're not playing with a concrete team - hell Pasha turned over the puck at least once, maybe twice and Kronner the same (which actually resulted in a goal for PIT). Besides the turnovers, he was looking really well and actually finished the game as +1. Also, nice to see Pasha as one of the three stars too! He looked so composed out there last night, very good to see.

Yes he was. Smith was giving away the puck nearly everytime he had it. Or he'd make a bone headed pass that was just dumb. His giveaway at the blueline on the PP was another example. Smith is far from NHL ready unless Babcock want's to run a torpedo system (4 forwards and 1 defensemen). Smith is bad defensively. He's completely overrated here. He was this bad in GR last year when I watched him. The only thing going for him is his age (young) and has time to improve. He is brilliant offensively.

As for solid defensemen last night, I give Commdore the nod. He wasn't really "noticable" unless you looking for him, the guy is HUGE and STRONG. He's a fricken wall and seemed to keep himself well positioned and did all the right things.

Stuart was bad. Kronwall was bad but showed flashes of brilliance. But the fact remains the same, Smith isn't NHL ready right now.

I really enjoyed watching Brunnstrom the most last night. Mursak was my 2nd favorite prospect to watch. Emmerton had some good shifts. Oh, and Holmstrom looked good on the 4th line. I was extremely disappointed with Eaves on the top line, I thought he'd do better.

Guest Heaten

I wrote in and earlier post that Malkin was a beast last night. He's easily a top 10 forward in the league when he's on his game. Problem is with Malkin is he's an extremely streaky player (like most offensive talent), but I think the knock against Malkin is when he's not beasting, he's useless. When he's off his game he plays weak. You can point to Datsyuk and Zetterberg and make a case they are both streaky as well, but when they aren't scoring, they are still playing elite hockey and making stuff happen. And you can count on both Dats and Zetter to score a big goal in to clutch things up. Malkin you cannot.

But Malkin is fun to watch when he's on his game. He's also fun to make fun of when he goes into one of his frequent funks.

Yes he was. Smith was giving away the puck nearly everytime he had it. Or he'd make a bone headed pass that was just dumb. His giveaway at the blueline on the PP was another example. Smith is far from NHL ready unless Babcock want's to run a torpedo system (4 forwards and 1 defensemen). Smith is bad defensively. He's completely overrated here. He was this bad in GR last year when I watched him. The only thing going for him is his age (young) and has time to improve. He is brilliant offensively.

As for solid defensemen last night, I give Commdore the nod. He wasn't really "noticable" unless you looking for him, the guy is HUGE and STRONG. He's a fricken wall and seemed to keep himself well positioned and did all the right things.

Stuart was bad. Kronwall was bad but showed flashes of brilliance. But the fact remains the same, Smith isn't NHL ready right now.

I really enjoyed watching Brunnstrom the most last night. Mursak was my 2nd favorite prospect to watch. Emmerton had some good shifts. Oh, and Holmstrom looked good on the 4th line. I was extremely disappointed with Eaves on the top line, I thought he'd do better.

So this sort of shows me that you are hating on him more so because you think he is overrated on LGW. You have you and maybe another saying smith was awful but about 5-6 or more saying he looked good. The odds of that are a little slim that he was that bad. And looking at the numbers he only had 1 giveaway that was counted unless i missed it the whole game i didn't see it.

I wrote in and earlier post that Malkin was a beast last night. He's easily a top 10 forward in the league when he's on his game. Problem is with Malkin is he's an extremely streaky player (like most offensive talent), but I think the knock against Malkin is when he's not beasting, he's useless. When he's off his game he plays weak. You can point to Datsyuk and Zetterberg and make a case they are both streaky as well, but when they aren't scoring, they are still playing elite hockey and making stuff happen. And you can count on both Dats and Zetter to score a big goal in to clutch things up. Malkin you cannot.

But Malkin is fun to watch when he's on his game. He's also fun to make fun of when he goes into one of his frequent funks.

Valid points.

I did take a look back a few pages and I did love on him a bit much; almost troll like :blink:

Edited by NvrFrgtRussian5

Guest Heaten

So this sort of shows me that you are hating on him more so because you think he is overrated on LGW. You have you and maybe another saying smith was awful but about 5-6 or more saying he looked good. The odds of that are a little slim that he was that bad. And looking at the numbers he only had 1 giveaway that was counted unless i missed it the whole game i didn't see it.

You post to say that you think I'm hating on "X" player? Really? Hilarious! I'm being realistic and analyzing players the way I viewed it. I DVR'd the game to replay questionable plays so I can be clear on what I saw. I'm not gonna fabricate and say "X" player was beasting it up and will be the next Orr when they were below mediocre and underwhelming.

I also watch Smith in Grand Rapids, and, while he's a good skater and has good offense, he's a turnover machine and constantly makes boneheaded passes/plays. I'm sure not everyone gets to watch him several times per year like I have. Of course he has more upside and will improve. I'm hoping he becomes a top4 dman someday, and I'm sure he will if he improves his defense. But right now he's far from being NHL ready. He'd be an immediate liability if he were forced on the roster.

I understand why people are so high on him... because he's currently our best defenseman prospect. Some hope he will be as good as Kronwall someday, me included. But he's got a ways to go.

I'm not picking on Smith, but he's been a -minus player in the prospect tournament, and red and white game. Last night was his first + game.

I don't have an opinion on how good Smith was yesterday. I just want to add that he's only 22. Kronwall and Ericsson were both 25 when they played their first full seasons in the NHL. Jakub Kindl was 23 when he played 48 games last season but got to play that much mainly because of injuries. Most likely Smith is not NHL ready yet, but that's nothing to worry about. It's not Wings' style to rush their prospects and they never have a reason to. Smith will play a season or two more in the AHL.