• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#241 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

Joey Mac was good last year and has looked solid tonight so far.

I am a little concerned about losing him to waivers if somebody gets an injury to a back-up goalie.

I am starting to entertain the idea of instead of carrying a 14th forward going with 13 F 7D and 3G

Any thoughts?

#242 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

I am a little concerned about losing him to waivers if somebody gets an injury to a back-up goalie.

I am starting to entertain the idea of instead of carrying a 14th forward going with 13 F 7D and 3G

Any thoughts?

i thought he was waiver exempt?

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#243 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Haha did Babs change goalies on the fly? That was always a dream in Pee-Wees

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#244 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

Commentators love for Malkin= :wacko:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#245 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Pretty fun game. Cleary penalty was a huge WTF moment but whatever.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#246 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

I can honestly say I hate the Penguins less when Malkin is actually playing hard and not being a ****** and Sid isn't in the lineup :yowza:

#NOMOREKINDL

#247 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

How was that not a penalty on the Brunnstrom play? The Pens player slashed the stick right out of his hands.

Sometimes refs miss stuff.

Any thoughts?

I like both Conklin and MacDonald, but having them both up doesn't make much sense to me. Even if they need to take the risk of losing one of them. Skaters get injured more often than goalies.

How could a veteran like him be waiver exempt?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#248 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

He is exempt from recall waivers but still needs to be waived to be assigned to Grand Rapids I believe.

#249 Austrianwing

Austrianwing

On Waivers

• PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Seriously.... a 5 minute major for that?

I thought that call was over the top, but what bothered me more was that that got 5, while the shove from Letang on Tatar gets nothing. Bad calls are bad, but if they're going to call it like that, at least call it consistently... Ah well. <_<

#250 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

How could a veteran like him be waiver exempt?

veterans can regain exemption based on lack of games played in previous seasons and also ahl salary threshold. i just can never remember the rules for them.

for instance, jamie lundmark a couple years back signed contracts with lower ahl salaries so that he would be exempt from waivers and calgary could call him up without exposing him. allowed him to get more callups and eventually a more steady gig in the nhl again.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#251 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

My thoughts exactly... to echo the sentiment of others, Emmerton certainly doesn't look hungry enough, I'd give the edge to Conner so far and Brunnstrom is looking worthy of a 2-way deal for sure so far... could end up being a piece of our future...

Other notes, Hudler has looked faster than normal, Pyett looks HORRIBLE, Exelby looks like a good AHL'er/depth player and Smith certianly looks NHL ready, but I still think he needs to be in the AHL for the whole season logging major minutes, especially with the lack of a spot for him on our current roster... Howard has looked pretty good as well, minus the soft goal by Malkin, where he got caught cheating...

Also, how great do Kronwall and Stewie look back together?!?!

Yeah Commie looked exactly like he should out there tonight. A solid physical presence but man does he ever look huge out there, its gonna be nice having that to patrol the blue line all season long and clear the crease.

Brunnstrom showed flashes of skill but he seems like one of those no toolbox kind of guys, youre almost out of the league in a preseason game and you pull that one handed s*** with a guy right on your back? come on now

Exxelby looks like he could be a good second call up after Smitty for sure, Janik probably has the edge right now but who knows. Exelby is probably better than Janik.

I dont totally agree with your assessment of Pyett. He looks like he could be a better version of Meech, which is a decent utility guy to have, didnt look great didnt look terrible.

Also thought Tatar looked great and was really fast and shifty. Mursak is going to be a player as well.

Johnson looks to have the edge so far in the 4th line center race, cant wait to see what unfolds.

Thats all the player assessments ill be diong for now, see you folks in the GDT tomorrow :clap:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#252 Austrianwing

Austrianwing

On Waivers

• PipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

I can honestly say I hate the Penguins less when Malkin is actually playing hard and not being a ****** and Sid isn't in the lineup :yowza:

If I didn't have to listen to the announcers polishing his knob, I might have admitted to myself he played well :lol:

#253 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

veterans can regain exemption based on lack of games played in previous seasons and also ahl salary threshold. i just can never remember the rules for them.

for instance, jamie lundmark a couple years back signed contracts with lower ahl salaries so that he would be exempt from waivers and calgary could call him up without exposing him. allowed him to get more callups and eventually a more steady gig in the nhl again.

Damn... The waiver rule is complicated. I'm still almost sure that MacDonald has to be waived to be sent down and then can be called up without exposing him to re-entry waivers.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#254 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

If I didn't have to listen to the announcers polishing his knob, I might have admitted to myself he played well :lol:

Oh god, Agreed. Stagielwald or whatever his name is, is BRUTAL!

#NOMOREKINDL

#255 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

After watching this game, it's painfully obvious to me that Detroit doesn't have what it takes to compete with the upper echelon teams in the sport.

And the Pens didn't even have Crosby. :o
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#256 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

After watching this game, it's painfully obvious to me that Detroit doesn't have what it takes to compete with the upper echelon teams in the sport.

You can do better than that.

-- Mitch Albom

#257 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

I was most impressed with Brunnstrom this game. I didn't realize how fast and smooth skater he is. He also has good vision. Commodor is a beast. He seemed pretty solid. Datsyuk looked human. Stuart was weak on the puck. Smith is a turnover machine and has a long ways to go before he cracks the roster. Eaves didn't look like a good fit on the top line. Howard was... awful.

Geno and Morrow were beasts. Very impressive game by Pens.

Sure glad this was an exhibition game because the boys sure didn't play "Red Wings" hockey.

Again, Brunnstrom was probably the top 3 noticeable player for the Wings tonight (behind Datsyuk and Kronwall). This game needed some Zetterberg.

#258 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

And the Wings didn't have Zetterberg. What is your point? This game means and shows nothing but players on an individual level for coaching staff to examine.

#259 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

People need to show some respek to Malkin. Yeah, the announcers are all over him slobbing on his knob like corn on the cob; but he looked pretty damn good. It's alright to respect players that deserve some respect. It's hockey.

#260 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

And the Wings didn't have Zetterberg. What is your point? This game means and shows nothing but players on an individual level for coaching staff to examine.

:carrot: :battle:

-- Mitch Albom