• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

No he doesn't. Ericsson and his $3million salary is locked for the #5 dman position. The battle comes down to Commodore vs Kindl.

well then the contract looks bad because talent wise he should be in a battle with them, and I wouldn't be suprise if he rides the pine at some point.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

well then the contract looks bad because talent wise he should be in a battle with them, and I wouldn't be suprise if he rides the pine at some point.

Using that logic, Stuart should be battling for a roster spot.

That said, I trust Holland and Babcock's opinion over yours.

#43 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Using that logic, Stuart should be battling for a roster spot.

That said, I trust Holland and Babcock's opinion over yours.

stuart is a verteran, he is proven, he has been there when we needed him, and to the other part, i could care less
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#44 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

Holland didn't sign Ericsson to that big contract to ride the pine. Won't happen unfortunately.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#45 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Holland didn't sign Ericsson to that big contract to ride the pine. Won't happen unfortunately.

well I know that they expect more out of him and I hope it works, but he hasn't shown any flashes of being worth it yet
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#46 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

well I know that they expect more out of him and I hope it works, but he hasn't shown any flashes of being worth it yet

Maybe not to us, but he must have showed it to Holland and Babcock, to again, get that large contract.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#47 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:02 PM

Kronwall hasn't been that physical this preseason either. Maybe he is confident he has a roster spot and doesn't feel the need to risk injury? I'm also pretty sure Ericsson wants to stay healhy as well. Why risk injury in a preseason game? Unless you're fighting for a roster spot and want to impress the coaches, it makes no sense.

Stuart has been brutal. Kronwall has been inconstant as hell. Ericsson has made some fine passes and some bad passes. No better, no worse than Kronwall. In this preseason, Ericsson has looked like the 4th best defenseman behind Lidstrom, White, and Kronwall. Stuart, especially, has been very disappointing. Smith is another defenseman that has been a total let down this preseason. Kindl is Kindl... he's been what I expected.

You are free to critique Ericsson all you want. But he hasn't even been the worst dman making $3+ million this preseason... and it should be mentioned he's been paired with 6th and 7th dmen on the depth chart.

Edit, thanks for the negative. I'm sure you live to neg those who you don't agree with! Lol!

Kronwall was the Red Wings best d-man in the playoffs and Stuart has been nothing but solid since coming to the team. Why are we using the preseason to justify Ericsson's contract?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#48 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

Ericsson to me is not getting any better. He has been givin lots of opportunity to grow his game and improve but every year the same thing. Costly turnovers, caught out of position, and a serious lack of using the body. I have no idea what Kenny and Babs see in this kid but I do trust their judgement. I do think that big E will be moved if his game dosen't improve this season. Kindl in my mind has more up side at this point but still has some learning to do. All in all I am happy with our backend. Our young players ( Smith and Kindl ) look great!

#49 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Kronwall was the Red Wings best d-man in the playoffs and Stuart has been nothing but solid since coming to the team. Why are we using the preseason to justify Ericsson's contract?

This is the preseason. Ericsson just got his contract and people are already pointing to it as a failure when the pairings have not been decided and the regular season hasn't even started yet. The point was Ericsson isn't even the worse defenseman making $3+ million right now. People can only criticize what he's done in years past (even though he was the 2nd best +/- defenseman on the team last year) and complain. Complaining during the preseason is unwarranted.

Erisson is locked to be #5 this year whether people like it or not. Sorry you missed the original point, you are coming into an off topic conversation and you didn't read the posts leading up to the overall conversation.

You probably missed the post where someone blamed Ericsson for a giveaway when he wasn't even on the ice. This seems to be the norm, not the exception on LGWs because people are so consumed with hate that they can't watch the game objectively.

#50 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:14 AM

This is the preseason. Ericsson just got his contract and people are already pointing to it as a failure when the pairings have not been decided and the regular season hasn't even started yet. The point was Ericsson isn't even the worse defenseman making $3+ million right now. People can only criticize what he's done in years past (even though he was the 2nd best +/- defenseman on the team last year) and complain. Complaining during the preseason is unwarranted.

Erisson is locked to be #5 this year whether people like it or not. Sorry you missed the original point, you are coming into an off topic conversation and you didn't read the posts leading up to the overall conversation.

You probably missed the post where someone blamed Ericsson for a giveaway when he wasn't even on the ice. This seems to be the norm, not the exception on LGWs because people are so consumed with hate that they can't watch the game objectively.

I'd fully argue the +/- thing was mainly due to Rafalski being so dominate in 5v5 play. Rafalski may have played average defensively, but he was completely able to take over even strength play with his offensive abilities, which is why Ericsson had such a good +/-.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#51 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

I'd fully argue the +/- thing was mainly due to Rafalski being so dominate in 5v5 play. Rafalski may have played average defensively, but he was completely able to take over even strength play with his offensive abilities, which is why Ericsson had such a good +/-.

You could argue that if you didn't watch any games and only were a stat checker. Babcock used Ericsson in some key situations including the PK, and gave him a fair amount of ice time overall. Ericsson had his fair share of bone head plays, but he's not as bad as people try to make him out to be. As proven already, Ericsson is blamed for costly giveaways when he's not even on the ice taking his shift. I've read this a few times in past GDT where people blame Ericsson for stuff when he wasn't even on the ice.

Ericsson ain't Pronger, but he ain't Lebda either. He's a decent defenseman that Holland and Babcock are happy and comfortable with. You'd think he's a maniac baby killer after reading a few posts in this thread....

#52 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

You could argue that if you didn't watch any games and only were a stat checker. Babcock used Ericsson in some key situations including the PK, and gave him a fair amount of ice time overall. Ericsson had his fair share of bone head plays, but he's not as bad as people try to make him out to be. As proven already, Ericsson is blamed for costly giveaways when he's not even on the ice taking his shift. I've read this a few times in past GDT where people blame Ericsson for stuff when he wasn't even on the ice.

Ericsson ain't Pronger, but he ain't Lebda either. He's a decent defenseman that Holland and Babcock are happy and comfortable with. You'd think he's a maniac baby killer after reading a few posts in this thread....

That pretty much sums it up. I think he takes a lot of abuse because of the high expectations from his rookie season, and he has a lumbering skating style that makes it seem like he's not working hard. Pronger has a similar skating style (I am in no way comparing the ability of the two).

Ericsson is a solid #5 guy, but because of the circumstances this summer got himself a nice contract. Honestly as much as I respect Raf for his decision, I think he kind of screwed the team a little if he really didn't even let management know he was going to retire. It would've really helped Holland to have that information when planning for the offseason.

Unfortunately I'm not optimistic that Ericsson will develop enough to make that contract worthwhile. I hope that Babcock and Holland are seeing things I'm not, because while he's not bad, he doesn't seem to be making any great strides either. It's the same mantra with him. Be more physical. Make the simple play. Get that slapshot off faster.

Kindl has more potential because he's younger and a natural defenseman, but he's got similar issues. Not nearly physical enough, needs to work on his positioning, and boneheaded turnovers. Kindl doesn't have the heat that Ericsson does on his slapper, but he does seem better at getting it off fast and through traffic.

I haven't seen enough of Smith to really have a handle on him. He's clearly got skills and good size, but at this level he's going to have to be much more defensively responsible and not always be thinking up ice. Hopefully that part of his game will develop and he can be like a Rafalski (preferably the Olympics version).

#53 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Posted Image

Why is Kindl with the Griffins on their photoshoot day? :hehe:

#54 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Interesting but Kindl will be with GR unless injuries happen and they probably will...

#55 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Interesting but Kindl will be with GR unless injuries happen and they probably will...

What? Was? Qué? Pardon?

Why is Kindl with the Griffins on their photoshoot day? :hehe:

So nice to see that Ritola is back too.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 05 October 2011 - 09:31 AM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#56 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:32 AM

Kindl would never clear waiver's.

The pic above must be an old pic, or they just gave whoever that is a jersey to throw on for the pic, because looking over the 11-12 roster, not only is Kindl NOT on it, there isn't even a #5 on it.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#57 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

The pic above must be an old pic, or they just gave whoever that is a jersey to throw on for the pic

Yup. I just got that pic off facebook a few days ago.

#58 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:52 AM

Just realized it is an old pic. lol. My bad...

#59 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

Just realized it is an old pic. lol. My bad...

It's not an old pic.

http://www.facebook....17051282&type=3

It's just an old jersey. Or prop if you will. The players didn't have to bring their own and yadda yadda.

#60 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

I see nevermind...