• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

haroldsnepsts

Shelley Suspended 10 games for hit from behind

Rate this topic

"Shelley hit Boyce squarely from behind into the glass," NHL senior vice president for player safety Brendan Shanahan said of the second-period hit. "Boyce's back was turned toward Shelley well before the contact, requiring that Shelley avoid or minimize the check. He did neither.

"Shelley's two suspensions last season weighed heavily in this decision," Shanahan added.

Shelley was suspended twice last season for four games and is considered a repeat offender under the league's collective bargaining agreement. He was also fined $67,073, which will be paid into the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7006283/jody-shelley-philadelphia-flyers-gets-10-game-suspension-hit-behind

I honestly think this is a great start for Shanny. 10 games seemed harsh at first, but this was such a clear hit from behind that could have easily been avoided. When there's as little grey area in what happened as a hit like this, I think the league should come down hard.

I don't want to jump the gun, but here's hoping there's no more Campbell Wheel of Justice.

Both hits were clearly illegal, but I think both suspensions were a bit much, but taking into consideration Shelley and Leblond have a history of suspensions, that probably played a role in determining the length of each suspension.

Agree. I think they were a bit excessive, but I think/hope that the fact that they would t have played in most/all of the preseason games was taken into account.

Both hits were clearly illegal, but I think both suspensions were a bit much, but taking into consideration Shelley and Leblond have a history of suspensions, that probably played a role in determining the length of each suspension.

They were long, but I'm assuming they were done to suspend them for 5 NHL games and 1 NHL game and bypass meaningless pre-season games.

I really like the videos that Shanny did.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?&id=124282

He shows the hit, explains the rule, and his reasoning behind it. If this is the way that he is going to handle all disciplinary matters, I am all for it. No other sports league does it like this. I hope this trend continues and we see a video like this with each infraction that carries a suspendable offense.

Edited by Nightfall

There's no such thing. You can build anything from them, for example, a bookshelf. And I have one next to my keyboard that I can throw into the wall everytime my favourite hockey team faces a setback.

This will save me so much money on new TVs.

Video explanations are excellent. Now they need to make the War Room put out the same for In-Game video reviews. Won't have to be during the game, but at least afterwards showing why they called it a goal/no goal.

Exactly. I love that Shanahan is explaining why. And hopefully he'll stay consistent. And as far as harshness goes, maybe that's what the league needs. Shanahan is showing his cojones to start his new job so that people realize he's serious.

Exactly. I love that Shanahan is explaining why. And hopefully he'll stay consistent. And as far as harshness goes, maybe that's what the league needs. Shanahan is showing his cojones to start his new job so that people realize he's serious.

I like the communication, as well. Shanny's first 2 suspensions were "repeat offenders", so I guess the real test will be when someone like Ovechkin throws a questionable hit.