• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown_Ryan

Matt Cooke already!

Rate this topic

In viewing the above video, it certainly looks like the player being hit is embellishing just a smidge.

However,

Staubitz and Wiesniewski join the pre-season suspension queue.

What's with these boneheads lining up for Shanny's hammer of justice.

For the record, I haven't seen the video on either of these hits.

Edited by e_prime

With everyone here, I think he sold it a little bit. I see the league looking at it and I think they suspend him for a few games (no more than 2-3 games) just to show the players that they are serious.

I know they have already established they are serious but I think with it being Cooke and knowing his rep, they are going to suspend him or put out a video as a warning and explain why he wasn't suspended.

Calling that a penalty is borderline, writing an article and linking a video + potetial suspension is simply pathetic.

Well it is Matt Cooke so I can understand an overreaction. That guy shouldn't have the privilege of being in the NHL anymore because he may end the career of another top star again.

Guest Shoreline

so many dirty hits in one week damn wtf this s*** is getting worse

Bear in mind the definition of dirty is also changing, so more things are going to fall under this category with such increased scrutiny and negativity surrounding the physical aspect of hockey nowadays. It's quite relative to the "media vs. crime" issue where people see violence, crime, etc. on television and think it's more prominent than it really is, and thus scrutinize it more.

More on the subject, Matt Cooke is a ******* idiot and I wouldn't feel bad for him being suspended but if he does in this case it's purely because of his reputation. If it's pretty much anyone else, what happened here would be looked at with a little more objectivity -- it's a s***ty play that guys like Matt Cooke make but to me this is a 2 minute boarding penalty and nothing more. This kind of s*** happens every single game so I don't see a reason to get worked up over it, plus it seems a little embellished too by whoever the Wild player was that absorbed the hit. This is a very typical play made out of little respect for an opponent, but I don't see a reason to banish Matt Cooke for this play. Just give it time and he'll give the NHL a real reason to.

Edited by Shoreline

As much as I hate Matt Cooke, this doesn't look that bad. It was a small push and he obviously wasn't trying to board the guy. It looked like the guy kind of either slipped or sold the call. He didn't even really hit the boards in a dangerous way either. I hope this is the only talk about this hit and Shanny doesn't do anything about it.

Guest 13GoWings40

I can't believe Cooke is wearing an 'A'...

Yeah, no s***. Talk about low standards....

So I think I've figured out the solution to this whole Cooke thing. Have Shanny call up McCarty, Stevens, Pronger and whoever the guy is that got suspended for using a hockey stick like a baseball bat. All of them go out on the ice in street clothes. All Cooke has to do is skate from one end of the ice to the other.

Yeah, Cooke is a dirty piece of s***, but I don't think this one deserves a suspension.

Shanny is gonna catch hate from all angles for this one, regardless of which way he rules on it though...

Agreed.

This hit is only news because it was made by the dirtiest player in the league. It doesn't really warrant more than the 2 minute penalty.

Guest Shoreline

Hasn't he worn an "A" for a long time?

The reason he wears it in Pittsburgh must be locker room (or press box, with how much time he spends there) related -- certainly can't be due to his on-ice leadership.