Hasn't he worn an "A" for a long time?

#23 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hasn't he worn an "A" for a long time?

The reason he wears it in Pittsburgh must be locker room (or press box, with how much time he spends there) related -- certainly can't be due to his on-ice leadership.

#24 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:22 AM

It stands for "Asshat" in Pittsburgh.

works every time

#25 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Pretty soft looking. I dunno if that warrants a suspension even by Cookie.

This

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Pretty soft looking. I dunno if that warrants a suspension even by Cookie.

We all know Cooke is the biggest s*** head coward in the league, but that didn't look very bad. I'd be VERY surprised and upset if Cooke is suspended for that hit, not because I admire his play at all, but because I don't want the league overreacting and suspending every hard hit.

I dunno. It appears Cooke just pushed a player that had already been off balance. It sure doesn't help it was a cross checking motion right to the numbers but all in all; not a brutal hit.

Calling that a penalty is borderline, writing an article and linking a video + potetial suspension is simply pathetic.

Bear in mind the definition of dirty is also changing, so more things are going to fall under this category with such increased scrutiny and negativity surrounding the physical aspect of hockey nowadays. It's quite relative to the "media vs. crime" issue where people see violence, crime, etc. on television and think it's more prominent than it really is, and thus scrutinize it more.

More on the subject, Matt Cooke is af****** idiot and I wouldn't feel bad for him being suspended but if he does in this case it's purely because of his reputation. If it's pretty much anyone else, what happened here would be looked at with a little more objectivity -- it's a s***ty play that guys like Matt Cooke make but to me this is a 2 minute boarding penalty and nothing more. This kind of s*** happens every single game so I don't see a reason to get worked up over it, plus it seems a little embellished too by whoever the Wild player was that absorbed the hit. This is a very typical play made out of little respect for an opponent, but I don't see a reason to banish Matt Cooke for this play. Just give it time and he'll give the NHL a real reason to.

As much as I hate Matt Cooke, this doesn't look that bad. It was a small push and he obviously wasn't trying to board the guy. It looked like the guy kind of either slipped or sold the call. He didn't even really hit the boards in a dangerous way either. I hope this is the only talk about this hit and Shanny doesn't do anything about it.

Agreed.

This hit is only news because it was made by the dirtiest player in the league. It doesn't really warrant more than the 2 minute penalty.

Agree with all of those above.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

You can bet that if Shanny lets him get away with this one, he's not going to be so generous the next time that douchebag screws up. Shanny's got him in his sights, you can be sure.
Posted Image

#28 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

Agreed.

This hit is only news because it was made by the dirtiest player in the league. It doesn't really warrant more than the 2 minute penalty.

Gotta agree also. I hate Cooke just as much as the rest of you and when it comes to Cooke, I'm always going to assume that he's out to hurt someone when he does s*** like that. But even I can't see a suspension out of that one.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#29 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

As much as an idiot Matt Cooke can be on the ice and given his recent history, I fail to see how this is such a big deal or something more than just your run-of-the mill penalty.

#30 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

Yeah it shouldn't be a big deal but still...

f*** Matt Cooke.

I hope God allows a few minutes for Cooke in heaven just to meet Probert and Boogaard in a "quiet room." "What uuup, Cookie-monster??? Isn't great to be in heaven? Well, too bad, because you're going to hell after we're done with you - You're on Punk'd! BAM!!!"

#31 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

It really didn't seem that big of a deal. I was going into the video expecting a really dirty boarding, that one's a good penalty call by the ref but shouldn't be a suspension. He stepped in a bumped him over, if it had been a bit to the left there wouldn't have even been a call. Shanahan might drop the hammer as a warning to everyone else though, but I doubt it. Suspensions should be saved for the real dirty stuff. If anything gets suspensions just imagine what's gonna happen when Crosby starts diving again.

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

It really didn't seem that big of a deal. I was going into the video expecting a really dirty boarding, that one's a good penalty call by the ref but shouldn't be a suspension. He stepped in a bumped him over, if it had been a bit to the left there wouldn't have even been a call. Shanahan might drop the hammer as a warning to everyone else though, but I doubt it. Suspensions should be saved for the real dirty stuff. If anything gets suspensions just imagine what's gonna happen when Crosby starts diving again.

When Crosby comes back I'm pretty sure Bettman will institute that everybody, including the refs, must stay at least 5 feet away from him.

#33 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

I can't wait to see Shanny come down on Cooke like the righteous hand of god. :D

Cooke's been a turd in this league's collective punch bowl for far too long.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#34 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

That's a pretty weak slew foot. Have a look at this one, which is coincidentally the same moment I realized Dan Boyle is a gutless piece of trash.

Edited by kipwinger, 20 January 2012 - 05:01 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#36 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

I love how Eddie O claims that the Semin hit was both late and "up high" when in reality it was neither. Even when the Blackhawks aren't playing he's a fanboy.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#37 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

That's a pretty weak slew foot. Have a look at this one, which is coincidentally the same moment I realized Dan Boyle is a gutless piece of trash.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_y_L2iR7VZA

Well the best part about that incident was the interview after the period ended. They asked him what happened there with Semin and he just flashed a smile and said something to the effect of, "Oh, well, that's just me being aggressive."

Yeah. He's just a good 'ol aggressive and passionate North American boy who cultivated his work ethic on the farms of who the hell cares. If he slewfoots someone then it's okay.

#38 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

Picture perfect slew foot :ph34r:

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#39 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Picture perfect slew foot :ph34r:

Maybe Dan Boyle is secretly sterile and couldn't bear to get hit by someone named Semin.

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 21 January 2012 - 02:28 AM.

#40 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,454 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

14 PIM in 47 games