• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

Quite an interesting start to the 2011/2012 season. Mr. Shanahan is fairly busy already. I'll do my best to keep this list updated as they accumulate.

Jody Shelley: Remainder of preseason play and 5 regular season games for hit from behind on Toronto's Darryl Boyce.

Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond: Remainder of preseason play and 1 regular season game for hit from behind on Vancouver's Matt Clackson.

Brad Staubitz: Remainder of preseason play and 3 regular season games for hit from behind on Columbus' Cody Bass.

James Wisniewski: Remainder of preseason and 8 regular season games.

Brad Boyes: 2 games for hit to the head of Toronto's Joe Colborne.

J-F Jacques: Remainder of preaseason play and 5 regular season games for leaving bench to instigate a fight (in the last 5 minutes of a game).

Tom Sestito: Remainder of preseason play and 2 regular season games for hit from behind on the Rangers' Andre Deveaux.

Brendan Smith: Remainder of preseason and 5 regular season games for hit to the head of Chicago's Ben Smith.

Clarke MacArthur: 2 regular season games for hit to the head of Detroit's Justin Abdelkader.

Pierre-Marc Bouchard: 2 games for high stick on Columbus' Matt Calvert.

Kris Letang: 2 games for hit from behind on Winnipeg's Alexander Burmistrov.

Andre Deveaux: 3 games for hit

Max Pacioretty: 3 games for hit to the head of Pittsburgh's Kris Letang

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I LOVE THE SHANNY VIDEO!!!

Are you serious, how is it that the NFL hasn't started this, how is it that the lowly (in national media sense) NHL is on the cutting edge of this s***.

Shanny and the NHL are setting a precedence that I can almost guarantee will be in every league (maybe not MLB as they refuse to adapt or change from the legacy of the game) by the time their next seasons start.

The explanation of the Boyes suspension was spot on, even the fact that he mentions at the end, going forward Boyes will be a repeat offender. He explains that while Boyes' hit was unintentional he is saying it was reckless, and that is part of the rule.

The fact he doesn't just release the names and number of games is an improvement but the way he is doing it, far and away above the expectations I had for Shanny.

Complete transparency, he is calm cool and collected the whole time. Imagine that, the guy in charge of delivering suspensions appears to have no bias of any kind.

This process in and of itself will save the NHL a ton of Face value they lost of the past few years with jokes of suspensions, inconsistency, and an apparent bias towards the size of the players name.

I will end this tirade/rant/waste of internet space with this:

Shanny Comish in 2014, the players are going to take their game back. (give him a few seasons to return the league to a status in which fans trust the league offices)

Former player as commish, VP of safety, hell put former players in every single important league position, these guys understand the speed, strength, power, and that the game is played on the edge of Dangerous and beautiful.

Well done Shanny!

this thread will get far 2 long... Some suspensions are necessary, but im certain the suspensions will get out of hand, its hockey.

also if shanny got suspended everytime he laid good hits on people, he wouldnt have had an NHL career. its gunna get out of hand....

Edited by wings1110

Interesting tweet from EJ Hradek on the Wizniewski suspension...

EJHradek_NHL EJ Hradek

Among scouts, the knock on Wisniewski is his lack of on-ice smarts. During his career, he has done little to prove them wrong.

I for one am glad Kenny didn't go out & overpay for him like C'Bus did. Makes me like that Ian White signing more & more.

Damn, that elbow just cost Wiz seven hundred thousand dollars. I bet he won't do that again!

:siren: WOW.

At the rate Shanny is handing out these suspensions, they should look at altering the fine. $700000 is ridiculous.

Edited by Danielsm

this thread will get far 2 long... Some suspensions are necessary, but im certain the suspensions will get out of hand, its hockey.

also if shanny got suspended everytime he laid good hits on people, he wouldnt have had an NHL career. its gunna get out of hand....

You know, I think it's attitudes like this that are the problem. With education comes positive change, that's what is happending now. I don't think hits to guys heads or hitting guys from behind into the boards, or elbowing guys in the head are "good hits on people." Perhaps a guy like Scott Stevens would have been suspended a lot under the new rules, perhaps he should have been, perhaps a few players careers would have been saved. You could go beyond that and suggest a few players quality of life could be saved.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe, these types of suspensions will actually be DETERRENTS, because the way it has gone up till now they haven't really been. The hope is that players will get the message and stop committing these types of acts and then you'll see the level of suspensions fall, hopefully dramatically.

You know, I think it's attitudes like this that are the problem. With education comes positive change, that's what is happending now. I don't think hits to guys heads or hitting guys from behind into the boards, or elbowing guys in the head are "good hits on people." Perhaps a guy like Scott Stevens would have been suspended a lot under the new rules, perhaps he should have been, perhaps a few players careers would have been saved. You could go beyond that and suggest a few players quality of life could be saved.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe, these types of suspensions will actually be DETERRENTS, because the way it has gone up till now they haven't really been. The hope is that players will get the message and stop committing these types of acts and then you'll see the level of suspensions fall, hopefully dramatically.

Im in no way saying that some suspensions shouldn't occur. But do you really thin Wiz should get 8 games for that? suspended? yes prolly, 8 games? no

And instead of suspending everyone, they could just bring the game back to pre lockout, those barely noticeable holds can prevent injuries. I just want hockey 2 be like it was in the 90's.

Edited by wings1110

Guest Heaten

Shanahan is doing a wonderful job. This should have happened sooner.

Goons and enforcers will soon have no place in the game. I'm loving it.

And yes, 8 game suspension and a $500k fine is appropriate. Shanahan 'gets it'. Hockey as we know it will be such a better sport in no time.

Im in no way saying that some suspensions shouldn't occur. But do you really thin Wiz should get 8 games for that? suspended? yes prolly, 8 games? no

And instead of suspending everyone, they could just bring the game back to pre lockout, those barely noticeable holds can prevent injuries. I just want hockey 2 be like it was in the 90's.

Absolutely Wisniewski deserved 8 games for that. He targeted Clutterbuck's head with his elbow after the game had ended. Clutterbuck didn't even have the puck, either.

On top of that Wisniewski has been suspended four times since 2008. He's a meat head.

These new rules are dumb. Bring back old school hockey. The game was better when players were only allowed to pass the puck to players behind them.

With all the money coming in, Bettman can stop looking for a new buyer in Phoenix.

The money goes to Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Shanahan is doing a wonderful job. This should have happened sooner.

Goons and enforcers will soon have no place in the game. I'm loving it.

And yes, 8 game suspension and a $500k fine is appropriate. Shanahan 'gets it'. Hockey as we know it will be such a better sport in no time.

:rolleyes:

Oh brother.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I don't really agree with that conclusion either. Fights will not be eliminated by this but hopefully some of the more reckless behavior will.

The comment I responded to was an idiotic thing to say.

There were a lot fewer cheapshots 20 or 30 years ago then there are now, despite the fact there were tons more enforcers and fights in those days. Do people not understand that fact?

And a guy like Wisniewski isn't even an enforcer, so I don't see how this will deter players like him from playing in the NHL. Guy is going to be Columbus's top D-man this season. It was just a stupid comment. What Wisniewki should have done is fight Clutterbuck, instead of blindside him. That's what fighting is for, if you feel your teammate needs to be defended. Instead, he blindsided the guy.

Guys like Cooke, Ruutu and Kaleta are also not going to be eliminated from the game. Those guys can actually take a regular shift, but are dangerous dirty players. They're the ones who have caused the most concussions and injuries over the years. Not the pure goons.

Edited by GMRwings1983