• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

Did you hear the Pens broadcast with Errey making excuses right and left for Letang? I know some people think Ken and Mickey are homers, but even they'll call a spade a spade. On the Pens' broadcasts, though...they can do no wrong.

really? of course i'm biased, but i've been listening to mickey for 25+ years and he calls a shenanigan a shenanigan, regardless of the team.

The ones in boston are horrible too.

Yeah, NESN is pretty bad.

really? of course i'm biased, but i've been listening to mickey for 25+ years and he calls a shenanigan a shenanigan, regardless of the team.

You'd be surprised. I don't get it either, but some fans of other teams HATE Ken and Mickey. Maybe they're so used to their broadcast teams telling them what they want to hear (like FS Pittsburgh) that they're offended by legitimate commentary and extensive hockey knowledge.

NHL.com

Nashville's Shea Weber will have a disciplinary hearing Friday afternoon following a boarding penalty assessed to the Predators defenseman for a hit on Vancouver's Jannik Hansen during Thursday's game.

At 5:12 of the third period, Weber was penalized for boarding Hansen, and also given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

TSN.ca

Nashville Predators defenceman Shea Weber will have a hearing with the NHL at 2pm et on Friday to discuss his hit from behind on Vancouver's Jannik Hansen.

The hit from Thursday's 5-1 Vancouver victory came in the third period. Weber slammed Hansen into the glass behind the Nashville net with a shoulder to the back. The Nashville blueliner received two minutes for boarding and an additional two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play.

The 26-year-old Weber has never received a suspension over parts of seven NHL seasons in Nashville.

Interesting. Weber's the first star player to have a hearing this season. I can't find a video of the incident so I have no idea if he'll get a suspension. With all the talk about star players getting special treatment this will probably create fuss no matter what Shanahan does.

Edited by P. Marlowe

I didn't think it was that bad. Certainly hit him in the numbers, so no question there, but I thought Hansen kind of flopped it. Not like that has stopped a suspension this year though, see: Adbelkader, Justin. Either way, did Hansen put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneous to the hit? Shanny will let us know soon enough.

NHL.com

Shea Weber was fined $2,500 on Friday by NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety Brendan Shanahan for an illegal hit in a game Thursday night in Vancouver.

(...)

"On all plays we deem to be illegal there are varying degrees that escalate from one level to the next," Shanahan said. "I didn't like this hit, and I expressed that to Shea Weber. I feel it was an illegal hit. I would like to see less force in that situation and that is why he's being fined. He didn't use all of his force, and did get Hansen sort of on the right side of Hansen's body -- I think a lot of Weber's impact and the sound was him hitting the glass. It wasn't square in the numbers, but it was illegal."

(...)

"The big thing for me is a player's history," Shanahan said. "That to me is something I've done so far. If you see my highest suspensions, it is when there are multiple offenses. Weber has played a long time in the NHL and played a very physical style and had no offenses. Also, there was no injury on the play.

"It is a situation where he can't make that hit that way again. He's now in a situation similar to Letang where he has a fine on his record. Letang's fine is a significant reason why he got suspended instead of fined."

Ball dropped IMO

Suspend the act, not the outcome. Shanny fined Weber for the outcome and the act, where Letang got suspended for the same thing, except the player hurt himself AFTER the hit. Ball dropped, but I won't lose sleep over Shanny's first inconsistency.

There had better be at least a 1 or 2 game ban for Tyutin.

F that. To punish CBus, make them keep their roster intact since that seems punishment enough with their struggles :P

Agree. A chance to send a messsage to "all" players lost.

esteef

Agreed. On his the graphic that reviews all the points for his decision, he should've included "Franchise player" and "Norris trophy nominee."

Therefore I've decided not to suspend Shea Weber.

I honestly don't think it warranted a suspension, but this is certainly a different standard than Shanny has been applying so far.

TSN.ca

Chicago Blackhawks forward Dan Carcillo has been suspended two games following a hearing with Brendan Shanahan for his hit on Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Joni Pitkanen on Friday night.

NHL.com video explanation (this time with Rob Blake speaking!)

NHL.com

Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton will have an in-person disciplinary hearing Monday with the League's Department of Player Safety in New York after a hit on Colorado forward Gabriel Landeskog during their game Friday night at Pepsi Center in Denver, Colo.
Edited by P. Marlowe

I don't like the ruling on Carcillo. There wasn't vicious intent. Definitely a reputation call. Sutton's past with suspensions will come back to haunt him when he is sentenced, as well.

The next hit that will be under the microscope will be Francois Bauchemin's hit on Mike Fisher earlier tonight. No videos of the hit up just yet.

I don't like the ruling on Carcillo. There wasn't vicious intent. Definitely a reputation call.

I agree that it wasn't vicious. It still was reckless. I think that's why he got only two games. Had he not been suspended so many times before it might've been just a fine or one game suspension.

I agree that it wasn't vicious. It still was reckless. I think that's why he got only two games. Had he not been suspended so many times before it might've been just a fine or one game suspension.

I agree. I think Sutton will get a few games, as well. Especially since he's got a history of suspensions, too.

NHL.com - article and a video explanation

Edmonton Oilers defenseman Andy Sutton has been suspended, without pay, for five games for delivering an illegal hit to the head of Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog during NHL Game No. 138 Friday night in Denver, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Two good suspensions. Wreckless play. Sutton missed his hit much like Smith and got the guys head. Five games is fine with me. Shanny is showing that it doesn't have to be with vicious intent, but if you're wreckless and hit a guy in the head, you're going to be suspended.

Two good suspensions. Wreckless play. Sutton missed his hit much like Smith and got the guys head. Five games is fine with me. Shanny is showing that it doesn't have to be with vicious intent, but if you're wreckless and hit a guy in the head, you're going to be suspended.

Reckless*

WTF is up with Kaleta. Apparently he's done it no less than 3 times. That's just stupid IMO.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=132436

What's the official explanation on Wolski's hit on Alfie?

He wasn't suspended, was he? They have not always issued a statement if there was no suspension issued, if they have at all. They just have the clean hits videos, sometimes.

He wasn't suspended, was he? They have not always issued a statement if there was no suspension issued, if they have at all. They just have the clean hits videos, sometimes.

That's right, he wasn't suspended. Only once this far they've released a video explaining why there was no suspension: Ryan Malone hitting Chris Campoli