• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

TSN.ca

NEW YORK -- Former defenceman Stephane Quintal has joined the NHL's department of player safety.

The 16-year veteran will serve as a manager on the staff of president of player safety and hockey operations Brendan Shanahan.

"Stephane was a physical defenceman who played the game with great passion and intensity," Shanahan said in release Thursday. "His insight and his ability to articulate our views will be a great asset to our department."

TSN.ca

The NHL has fined Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty $2,500 for a cross-check on St. Louis Blues forward T.J. Oshie.

The incident happened with 1.5 seconds left in Tuesday's game between the Kings and Blues in St. Louis. Oshie was about four feet away from the boards with his back to Doughty when the Kings blueliner hit him into the wall. Doughty was given a minor penalty for cross-checking on the play. Oshie appeared to be in pain and went straight to the dressing room.

The league noted that the amount of the fine was the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

To me that looked like a relatively minor crosscheck that caught Oshie off guard and caused him to fall awkwardly. Oshie was moving mostly parallel to the boards, not headed towards them like the hit on Kronwall.

I guess a fine isn't bad, but I thought the penalty was enough. Though I still don't see how Lucic walks away without even so much as a fine for running Miller.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Spin the "Wheel of Suspension" and see where she lands I suppose.

You don't think Shanahan has been pretty consistent? He's made a few mistakes, but I think overall, in the grand scheme of things, he's been remarkably consistent.

You don't think Shanahan has been pretty consistent? He's made a few mistakes, but I think overall, in the grand scheme of things, he's been remarkably consistent.

Agreed.

Overall I think he's been a thousand times more consistent than Campbell. And the transparency and explanations help too.

I think his biggest mistake is not even fining Lucic for running Miller. It was a dangerous and illegal hit that resulted in an injury. He's fined Shea Weber and Doughty for the same. And they were hitting players that were at least eligible to be hit.

I also felt his suspension on Smith was too severe. Especially when you consider the AHL suspension as well.

I think hes been more consistent than Campbell but thats not saying much. I am not overly enamored by the job he is doing. I think many of the suspensions have been too harsh considering how guys have gotten away with fines or zero games for other illegal plays.

gotta say 3 games for Pacioretty is reaaally bush league. Letang should learn to keep his head up.and that's it.

I don't get it. I could swallow non-suspension for Lucic (under the explanation, that Shanny can't suspend him with existing rule set), but the Pacioretty thing really feels awkward... Jesus, since when you can skate into the middle offensive zone with your hand down and expect not to be hit... this makes totally no sense...

gotta say 3 games for Pacioretty is reaaally bush league. Letang should learn to keep his head up.and that's it.

I don't get it. I could swallow non-suspension for Lucic (under the explanation, that Shanny can't suspend him with existing rule set), but the Pacioretty thing really feels awkward... Jesus, since when you can skate into the middle offensive zone with your hand down and expect not to be hit... this makes totally no sense...

completely agree, taking hitting away

Shanahan states that the question is "does the act of shooting the puck significantly change the position on Letangs head?" and if so "does that greatly contribute to contact to the head?"

In my opinion the answer to both questions is yes. When Letang takes the shot, his shoulder drops and his weight and momentum move forward into the shot - placing his head at the principle point of contact when the hit is made.

Im not sure I like the road the NHL is going down...I miss the days when hits like that were good hockey, and reminded players to keep their head up.

Colin Campbell got dumped on for not being consistent with punishments, not being transparent, and basically being a dillhole about the whole thing. Brendan Shanahan has been very consistent with punishments, has been very transparent about the process, and has not been acting like a dillhole about the whole thing.

Someone want to explain to me why Shanny's getting the same level of s*** flung at him Colin Campbell did? He's doing his job. A job the person who held it previous to him did NOT do. Maybe you're all so shell-shocked by the sight of someone in charge in the league not being a world-class f*** up, you don't know what to do. It's okay. Remain calm.

Colin Campbell got dumped on for not being consistent with punishments, not being transparent, and basically being a dillhole about the whole thing. Brendan Shanahan has been very consistent with punishments, has been very transparent about the process, and has not been acting like a dillhole about the whole thing.

Someone want to explain to me why Shanny's getting the same level of s*** flung at him Colin Campbell did? He's doing his job. A job the person who held it previous to him did NOT do. Maybe you're all so shell-shocked by the sight of someone in charge in the league not being a world-class f*** up, you don't know what to do. It's okay. Remain calm.

Completely agree. Hits are fine. Hits to the head are not. Someone WILL die from a hit to the head if they aren't dealt with. Careers have been ended by hits to the head. Saying 3 games is too little for potentially ending someones career, or life is ridiculous. I don't care if they were considered good hockey hits in the past. They used to not wear helmets at all in hockey, that doesn't mean it was good for the game though. Use a little common sense here guys.

From TSN:

Colorado Avalanche centre Kevin Porter has been suspended four games for kneeing Vancouver Canucks left-winger David Booth, the NHL announced Thursday.

From TSN:

Oilers defenceman Andy Sutton has been suspended indefinitely by the NHL for his hit on Carolina Hurricanes forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Per NHL.Com

Buffalo Sabres forward Ville Leino has been suspended, without pay, for one game for elbowing Philadelphia Flyers forward Matt Read during NHL Game #403 in Buffalo on Wednesday, Dec. 7, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Leino will forfeit $24,324.32. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 1:32 of the third period. No penalty was assessed on the play.

Leino will miss the Dec. 9 game vs. Florida. He will be eligible to return Dec. 10 vs. the New York Rangers.