• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

He'll probably be out for that long because of his injury anyway.

Perhaps, but his injury wouldn't cost him any money, the suspension does.

Not enough.

He was suspended just last month, and this one wasn't even a hockey play. This was a chicken wing to a guy's noggin.

Want to protect player's heads? Suspend players 10 games for stuff like this. They're among the easiest to get out of the game because it's not like a borderline hit. A harsh suspension for this isn't going to keep a guy from throwing a hit, but it might keep him from throwing up his elbow at a guys' head.

I don't know, 5 games is a pretty stiff suspension and it will cost him about $250,000, it's no slap on the wrist. I can see the argument for more because it isn't one of those plays here he's a split second off or the guy he's hitting moved at the last minute, etc., it's a play that is absolutely able to be eliminated 100% so a guy doing it is an idiot and should be punished.

However, I'm guessing it wasn't really, really long bedause there was no injury on the play (I'm assuming, I haven't checked and haven't watched Shanny's video) and it wasn't that "hard" of a hit (meaning....it wasn't like the Domi elbow to Neidermayer or Dale Hunter on...can't remember his name).

He'll probably be out for that long because of his injury anyway.

His suspension doesn't start until he's deemed healthy.

It's unclear if Carcillo will serve his suspension starting with the Hawks game in Philadelphia Thursday night, as he suffered a severe injury on the play. Injured players must serve their suspension after being deemed healthy. Carcillo will be serving his third suspension this season.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/7425667/chicago-blackhawks-dan-carcillo-gets-7-games-third-ban-year

It's his third suspension of the season. what a dirtbag.

TSN.ca

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Sami Salo has a concussion after he took a low-bridge hit from Brad Marchand during Saturday's game in Boston.

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis delivered the news Sunday. Marchand was assessed a clipping major and game misconduct for the hit that flipped Salo over in the Boston zone late in the second period.

(...)

Marchand is expected to have a hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan to discuss the incident on Monday, although the meeting has not officially been set.

The 23-year-old Marchand has been suspended before. He was given a two-game ban last March for an elbow to the head of Columbus forward R.J. Umberger.

Marchand was also fined $2,500 last month for slew-footing Pittsburgh defenceman Matt Niskanen.

Of all the people he had to do this to Salo, a gentlemanly veteran player who's very prone to injuries. Few seconds before the clipping Marchand was checked cleanly by Salo and Marchand responded with two cheap punches to Salo's head.

Edited by P. Marlowe

TSN.ca

Of all the people he had to do this to Salo, a gentlemanly veteran player who's very prone to injuries. Few seconds before the clipping Marchand was checked cleanly by Salo and Marchand responded with two cheap punches to Salo's head.

I'm no Marchand fan, but I don't think he was going after his knees or anything. He bailed out of a check and got too low, so he deserved the penalty he got. I think the 5 and a game is enough.

But because it's a player with a questionable rep like Marchand, and he injured one of the Canucks few standup players in Salo, I could see him getting a couple.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Thread: "Marchand Suspended 5 games"

NHL.com Video Explanation

TSN.ca

The NHL has suspended Anaheim Ducks forward Jean-Francois Jacques for three games after he illegally checked an opponent in the head, the league announced Monday.

He will forfeit US$23,780.49 in pay.

The suspension is a result of Jacques' hit on Columbus forward R.J. Umberger in a game Sunday night. Jacques elbowed Umberger's head after the Blue Jackets forward took a shot on goal at 14:17 of the third period. Jacques was assessed a five-minute major penalty for elbowing on the play.

(...)

Ducks defenceman Francois Beauchemin was not suspended or fined for his hit on Blue Jackets forward Jeff Carter earlier in the same game. The 31-year-old defenceman was given a 10-minute misconduct on the play.

According to reports, Carter suffered a separated shoulder as a result of the hit.

NHL.com Video Explanation

Here's also a link TSN.ca's list of all the suspensions this season:

2011-12 NHL Suspensions

I find it interesting that this far only one suspended player (Ville Leino) has been from outside of North America.

Edited by P. Marlowe

Duncan Keith suspended 5 games.

From NHL.com

Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith has been suspended, without pay, for five games for elbowing Vancouver Canucks forward Daniel Sedin during NHL game No. 1100 at Chicago on March 21, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced Friday.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and based on his average annual salary, Keith will forfeit $149,688.15. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 13:36 of the first period. Keith was assessed a minor penalty for elbowing on the play.

For a full explanation of the decision, complete with video, please click on the following link: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&id=167025

Duncan Keith suspended 5 games.

From NHL.com

So how come Keith gets 5 games and Doan with previous suspensions only gets 3???? Get your head outta your ass Shanny......

Both elbows to the head, they should feed each players history into a computer and let the machine take all of the emotion out of it. With Doan's history, if 5 games to Keith's 5 games is proper then Doan should get 8 to 10 games...

So how come Keith gets 5 games and Doan with previous suspensions only gets 3???? Get your head outta your ass Shanny......

Both elbows to the head, they should feed each players history into a computer and let the machine take all of the emotion out of it. With Doan's history, if 5 games to Keith's 5 games is proper then Doan should get 8 to 10 games...

Agreed.

To me Doan's was more egregious in that he stuck his elbow out as he flew past him. Keith was at least going in for a hit. And Sedin should have at least been fined for his hit to the head on Keith earlier. Keith was admiring his pass but it looked like Sedin threw a shoulder up to clip him in the head.

Keth has a history of targeted shots to the head, while Doan has a history of just being reckless.

Makes sense to me.

Keth has a history of targeted shots to the head, while Doan has a history of just being reckless.

Makes sense to me.

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but Keith has never been suspended, Doan has had a suspension and was fined recently. Personally I believe when ANY player targets the head or deliberately hits an opposing player in a manner that can cause serious injury, whether injury occurs or not they should get a minium of 10 games, second offense 20 games and third, banned form the league. I've seen what I consider dirty hits by both of these players and it's my opinion Doan got off pretty easy.

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but Keith has never been suspended, Doan has had a suspension and was fined recently. Personally I believe when ANY player targets the head or deliberately hits an opposing player in a manner that can cause serious injury, whether injury occurs or not they should get a minium of 10 games, second offense 20 games and third, banned form the league. I've seen what I consider dirty hits by both of these players and it's my opinion Doan got off pretty easy.

How do you determine was is deliberate? Was Smith's hit deliberate? The head can be hit regardless of the hitter's intention. Having a system like you outlined would be terrible for players because hits to the head can be accidental, even if they look deliberate to a person.

At the beginning of the season there was a lot of discussion about there being to many suspensions that were to long, and now many fans want longer suspensions. Because intent is never known, all hits have to be punished similarly. Therefore, many unintentional hits are punished already.