• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

How do you determine was is deliberate? Was Smith's hit deliberate? The head can be hit regardless of the hitter's intention. Having a system like you outlined would be terrible for players because hits to the head can be accidental, even if they look deliberate to a person.

At the beginning of the season there was a lot of discussion about there being to many suspensions that were to long, and now many fans want longer suspensions. Because intent is never known, all hits have to be punished similarly. Therefore, many unintentional hits are punished already.

There are many times when it is obvious that a player deliberately sticks out a knee, lifts an elbow to the head or pounds a player into the boards. Both Keith and Doan deliberately elbowed the player in the head and the player that recieved the elbow could have had their career ended because some ******* wants to be f***in dirty. From what I have read, Keith was retaliating for a previous dirty hit by Sedin. So, have enough respect for yourself to drop the gloves and kick the s*** out of him.

This thread should have an update that includes Brooks Orpik.

I won't repeat the whole post I made in the Penguins thread about this, but it's here if anyone wants to read it.

But Shanny was on NHL live explaining why there was no suspension. Basically the GM's only wanted him to get involved with the most blatant and severe knee on knees. Based on the criteria they agreed on, this didn't meet it.

From TSN:

Rangers forward Carl Hagelin was suspended for three games by the NHL on Sunday for elbowing Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson in the head during New York's loss in Game 2 of the first-round Eastern Conference series.

Hagelin apologized earlier Sunday, after a telephone hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, and hoped to avoid punishment beyond the major penalty he served Saturday night. But instead, he will miss the next three games of the best-of-seven series.

The Senators didn't escape unscathed, either, as defenceman Matt Carkner was given a one-game suspension Sunday for his role in a one-sided fight he started against Rangers forward Brian Boyle just 2:15 into Game 2. Carkner was given a major penalty for fighting, and was ejected.

The 'Hawks Andrew Shaw gets 3 games for his shoulder hitting Mike Smith's mask as he was trying to squeeze past him behind the net. IMO, incidental contact & he wasn't head hunting. That gets 3 games yet trying to put a player's head through the glass after the final horn warrants nothing but a $2500 fine? Oh NHL, the more you change, the more you stay the same.

The 'Hawks Andrew Shaw gets 3 games for his shoulder hitting Mike Smith's mask as he was trying to squeeze past him behind the net. IMO, incidental contact & he wasn't head hunting. That gets 3 games yet trying to put a player's head through the glass after the final horn warrants nothing but a $2500 fine? Oh NHL, the more you change, the more you stay the same.

Shanahan is so wildly inconsistent its not even funny. Its now as if he is over correcting for his idiocy in the last week.

Boggles the mind.

And yet....

Milan Lucic gets nothing during the regular season and a rookie gets 3 games in the playoffs!? Seems legit!

LOL

And a rook that appeared to try to avoid Smith where Lucic just pretty much steamrolled Miller. I guess it's getting bad when as a Wings fan, I'm defending a 'Hawks player. That Shanny sure is a uniter! :ph34r:

Shaw totally hit him on purpose. This ain't his first day in hockey. He could've easily skated up against the boards and around Smith. Good call Shanny.

esteef

He certainly could've done better to avoid contact, but Smith was also shooting the puck, spinning his body and head towards Shaw.

Three games is an absolute joke. Especially after Lucic got nothing. Shanny has seriously become less consistent than Campbell.

Other than that star players are probably not going to get suspended as long as lower line players. That's been pretty consistent.

He certainly could've done better to avoid contact, but Smith was also shooting the puck, spinning his body and head towards Shaw.

Three games is an absolute joke. Especially after Lucic got nothing. Shanny has seriously become less consistent than Campbell.

Other than that star players are probably not going to get suspended as long as lower line players. That's been pretty consistent.

I agree Lucic should've gotten something but in this case with Shaw I totally agree with Shanny.

esteef

classic nhl. discipline crack down only on the bottom 6 guys and not the stars. how is a "hockey play" that made contact with the head worth 3 games (no injury) and an intentional punch to the head and headslam by a star player only worth $2500 fine? I'm so confused... not to mention shaw also got ejected.

I'm quite sure Shanahan knows he made mistakes with Lucic and Weber. He can't be that blind and not see what followed soon after those incidents. He can't reverse his calls but he can continue trying to do a good job. I have this image of Shanahan that unlike Campbell he can admit his mistakes but I wonder if he'll do that in public.

Guest Crymson

It appears Shanny didn't call the 'Yotes to find out that Smith isn't injured & is in the starting line-up tonight before he lowered the hammer.

He's a game-time decision.

Shaw totally hit him on purpose. This ain't his first day in hockey. He could've easily skated up against the boards and around Smith. Good call Shanny.

esteef

He could have done numerous things differently:

1) Slow down

2) Go along the boards

3) Don't jump when moving by Smith

There's no way to know if he was attempting to make contact; but contact resulted either because he wanted it or because he was spectacularly stupid. Either way, it was entirely his fault.

What I don't get (other than the length of Shaw's suspension) is how after getting hit in the head, writhing in pain like he'd been shot in the face, stopping the game to be attended to by the team trainer and team doctor, Smith did not have to leave the ice to go to the quiet room for concussion evaluation.

Shanny is a *****.

If that had happened on any day but the first game of the playoffs, Weber is sitting at least 3.

If that happened tonight...he would have gotten 3 games in light of whats been going on.

Shanny is a *****. Call it what it is. He is only reacting to the unprecedented goonish BS that happened because he was a ***** and didnt do what was right with Weber.