• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#241 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

Footage of that play is funny. He looks directly over at the referee making the call, then loses his balance, tying to sell that he was the one done wrong. Textbook WWE.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#242 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

From TSN:

Flames forward Rene Bourque will once again face a disciplinary hearing.

#243 CopenhagenWing

CopenhagenWing

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

From TSN:

Incidents like this one are the worst ones. Bourque didn't skate hard enough to reach Backstrom in time to prevent him from playing the puck, so he throws the "lazy" elbow to convince his coach he's trying hard!?

IMO this type of incident should warrant a longer suspension than the Cole hit on Abdelkader because it is an absolutely boneheaded hit to make. Same with Carcillo the other day.

#244 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

This just in, Datsyuk NOT suspended for his hit on Jackass. :D

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#245 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

Carcillo being Carcillo. He floats the puck into the corner and then goes right after Gilbert, shoving him into the boards, never attempting to retrieve or make any play on the puck.

Suspension coming, hopefully a biggie. Moves like this are why I'd never want Carcillo on the Wings.

my guess is he gets 10 games, mostly because of his prior history with suspensions

#246 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

Incidents like this one are the worst ones. Bourque didn't skate hard enough to reach Backstrom in time to prevent him from playing the puck, so he throws the "lazy" elbow to convince his coach he's trying hard!?

IMO this type of incident should warrant a longer suspension than the Cole hit on Abdelkader because it is an absolutely boneheaded hit to make. Same with Carcillo the other day.

I really didn't think deserved more than one game. I'm still torn on the Bourque hit as well. I could see him getting 2 games, but I could also see him getting 5+. Weird, i know.

This just in, Datsyuk NOT suspended for his hit on Jackass. :D

esteef

I lol'd. +1.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#247 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

From TSN:

A "reckless elbow" has landed the Calgary Flames forward Rene Bourque in hot water.

NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan suspended Bourque five games Wednesday for his elbow to the head of Washington Capitals forward Nicklas Backstrom.

#248 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

From TSN:

Not enough.

He was suspended just last month, and this one wasn't even a hockey play. This was a chicken wing to a guy's noggin.

Want to protect player's heads? Suspend players 10 games for stuff like this. They're among the easiest to get out of the game because it's not like a borderline hit. A harsh suspension for this isn't going to keep a guy from throwing a hit, but it might keep him from throwing up his elbow at a guys' head.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 04 January 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#249 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

He should be that was nasty, and what the hell was that fish out of water s*** he was doing? I dont see were he could have got hurt, until the rest of the oilers got there anyway, he looked like a *****.

Watch it again - Gilbert came down on his left leg, not exactly sure where from the angle, but it sure looked painful. I suspect he hyper-extended his knee. That's some nasty karma at work.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#250 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

Borque's elbow has to be nearly as boneheaded as it gets.

#251 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

From TSN:

The Chicago Blackhawks will be without Dan Carcillo for an extended period of time.

The NHL suspended the Blackhawks forward seven games Wednesday for his ugly hit on Edmonton Oilers defenceman Tom Gilbert.

#252 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

From TSN:

He'll probably be out for that long because of his injury anyway.
I'm offended that you're offended.

#253 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Perhaps, but his injury wouldn't cost him any money, the suspension does.

Not enough.

He was suspended just last month, and this one wasn't even a hockey play. This was a chicken wing to a guy's noggin.

Want to protect player's heads? Suspend players 10 games for stuff like this. They're among the easiest to get out of the game because it's not like a borderline hit. A harsh suspension for this isn't going to keep a guy from throwing a hit, but it might keep him from throwing up his elbow at a guys' head.

I don't know, 5 games is a pretty stiff suspension and it will cost him about $250,000, it's no slap on the wrist. I can see the argument for more because it isn't one of those plays here he's a split second off or the guy he's hitting moved at the last minute, etc., it's a play that is absolutely able to be eliminated 100% so a guy doing it is an idiot and should be punished.

However, I'm guessing it wasn't really, really long bedause there was no injury on the play (I'm assuming, I haven't checked and haven't watched Shanny's video) and it wasn't that "hard" of a hit (meaning....it wasn't like the Domi elbow to Neidermayer or Dale Hunter on...can't remember his name).

#254 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

His suspension doesn't start until he's deemed healthy.

It's unclear if Carcillo will serve his suspension starting with the Hawks game in Philadelphia Thursday night, as he suffered a severe injury on the play. Injured players must serve their suspension after being deemed healthy. Carcillo will be serving his third suspension this season.

http://espn.go.com/c...-third-ban-year

It's his third suspension of the season. what a dirtbag.

#255 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

From TSN:

Florida Panthers forward Krys Barch has been handed a one-game suspension for comments made towards Montreal Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban last Saturday.

#256 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

TSN.ca

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Sami Salo has a concussion after he took a low-bridge hit from Brad Marchand during Saturday's game in Boston.

Canucks general manager Mike Gillis delivered the news Sunday. Marchand was assessed a clipping major and game misconduct for the hit that flipped Salo over in the Boston zone late in the second period.

(...)

Marchand is expected to have a hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan to discuss the incident on Monday, although the meeting has not officially been set.

The 23-year-old Marchand has been suspended before. He was given a two-game ban last March for an elbow to the head of Columbus forward R.J. Umberger.

Marchand was also fined $2,500 last month for slew-footing Pittsburgh defenceman Matt Niskanen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE

Of all the people he had to do this to Salo, a gentlemanly veteran player who's very prone to injuries. Few seconds before the clipping Marchand was checked cleanly by Salo and Marchand responded with two cheap punches to Salo's head.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 08 January 2012 - 02:23 PM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#257 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

TSN.ca

Of all the people he had to do this to Salo, a gentlemanly veteran player who's very prone to injuries.

Hope to see him get a few games. I like Salo too, and he seemed to be having a healthy season.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#258 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

TSN.ca

Of all the people he had to do this to Salo, a gentlemanly veteran player who's very prone to injuries. Few seconds before the clipping Marchand was checked cleanly by Salo and Marchand responded with two cheap punches to Salo's head.

I'm no Marchand fan, but I don't think he was going after his knees or anything. He bailed out of a check and got too low, so he deserved the penalty he got. I think the 5 and a game is enough.

But because it's a player with a questionable rep like Marchand, and he injured one of the Canucks few standup players in Salo, I could see him getting a couple.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 08 January 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#259 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Thread: "Marchand Suspended 5 games"

NHL.com Video Explanation

TSN.ca

The NHL has suspended Anaheim Ducks forward Jean-Francois Jacques for three games after he illegally checked an opponent in the head, the league announced Monday.

He will forfeit US$23,780.49 in pay.

The suspension is a result of Jacques' hit on Columbus forward R.J. Umberger in a game Sunday night. Jacques elbowed Umberger's head after the Blue Jackets forward took a shot on goal at 14:17 of the third period. Jacques was assessed a five-minute major penalty for elbowing on the play.

(...)

Ducks defenceman Francois Beauchemin was not suspended or fined for his hit on Blue Jackets forward Jeff Carter earlier in the same game. The 31-year-old defenceman was given a 10-minute misconduct on the play.

According to reports, Carter suffered a separated shoulder as a result of the hit.

NHL.com Video Explanation

Here's also a link TSN.ca's list of all the suspensions this season:

2011-12 NHL Suspensions

I find it interesting that this far only one suspended player (Ville Leino) has been from outside of North America.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 09 January 2012 - 10:23 PM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#260 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Wow was I wrong about the Marchand suspension. :lol: