• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

Here's what worries me the most about these suspensions. Guys are going to realize quickly that the easiest way to avoid suspension is to avoid the hit entirely. Guys will be afraid to accidentally hit someone illegally, whether their intentions were legal or not. Therein lies the problem because I don't want hitting out of hockey.

Fourth liners and enforcers are guys who play on the edge a lot. Their job is to come out there and spark their team with big hits and aggression.

It's difficult to have that mindset but at the same time not go over the edge occasionally and do something stupid. Especially when we're talking about split second decisions.

I have no problem with these suspensions, but I can understand how a lot of grinders and checkers in the NHL may be worried about their roles now. This doesn't really affect the star players for the most part, but it gives the other guys a lot to mull over.

I just hope the NHL doesn't turn into a sissy league where hitting is greatly diminished.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Shanny will be the most hated man in hockey by Halloween.

You're probably right, but I'd rather he be hated because he's doing his job, than hated because he's not. The last person to be in charge of doling out suspensions/punishments did a piss-poor job of it. At this juncture, anything more than piss-poor is a step in the right direction.

What will be telling is if he doles out any punishments to a Wings player on par with what he doles out to players from other teams. If they're comparable, he shouldn't get lambasted by anyone.

You're probably right, but I'd rather he be hated because he's doing his job, than hated because he's not. The last person to be in charge of doling out suspensions/punishments did a piss-poor job of it. At this juncture, anything more than piss-poor is a step in the right direction.

What will be telling is if he doles out any punishments to a Wings player on par with what he doles out to players from other teams. If they're comparable, he shouldn't get lambasted by anyone.

yea, but hes gunna over do it, kinda hypocritical if u ask me. He would have gotten suspended more than he did, if they were trying to *****-up the game like they are now, in his prime.

Here's what worries me the most about these suspensions. Guys are going to realize quickly that the easiest way to avoid suspension is to avoid the hit entirely. Guys will be afraid to accidentally hit someone illegally, whether their intentions were legal or not. Therein lies the problem because I don't want hitting out of hockey.

Fourth liners and enforcers are guys who play on the edge a lot. Their job is to come out there and spark their team with big hits and aggression.

It's difficult to have that mindset but at the same time not go over the edge occasionally and do something stupid. Especially when we're talking about split second decisions.

I have no problem with these suspensions, but I can understand how a lot of grinders and checkers in the NHL may be worried about their roles now. This doesn't really affect the star players for the most part, but it gives the other guys a lot to mull over.

I just hope the NHL doesn't turn into a sissy league where hitting is greatly diminished.

I don't think there are many who want to watch hockey with no hitting. You are not the only one who's scared about this. It's just that these new rules are there for a reason. All these plays that have lead to suspensions were dangerous with a high risk of causing an injury.

Just like all players have to hone and update all their skills with developing game and new rules, the grinders have to learn how to check with less risk to injure the opponent. I guess in few years there's a bigger need for more "smart" Helm-like grinders while teams don't want to have any "dumb" and reckless ones anymore. Players like Helm, Draper and Eaves can create energy without injuring anyone.

yea, but hes gunna over do it, kinda hypocritical if u ask me. He would have gotten suspended more than he did, if they were trying to *****-up the game like they are now, in his prime.

He's going to "over do it" in what way? Are you suggesting he'll punish Wings players more harshly to avoid any inference of impropriety? I'm not sure I follow where you're walking, here.

The fact that the way the rules are being enforced now would have put him on the hot seat more often as a player has nothing to do with his ability to do his job.

You can't compare eras. back when he played, even though it wasn't that long ago, concussions and the effects on the brain were a relative unknown. Once these players understand there are consequences for their illegal actions, the suspensions will go down.

You can still blast a guy in the chest or stand up a player in open ice, you just can't sucker punch players or hit them in the head. I don't see how that is pussyfying the game. There's clearly something else going on with you that you aren't talking about which is making you grumpy about all this. Even goon lovers understand that hitting to the head shouldn't be in the game, so what's your real issue?

Havn't seen video yet, but appears Brendan Smith may be next - Dreger and McKenzie both tweeting about a nasty shoulder to head or Chicago's Ben Smith. Possible Ben may have moved at last second causing the incident.

Havn't seen video yet, but appears Brendan Smith may be next - Dreger and McKenzie both tweeting about a nasty shoulder to head or Chicago's Ben Smith. Possible Ben may have moved at last second causing the incident.

I was watching, the hit was all head, but Ben Smith was clearly trying to evade Brendan Smith and do a toe-drag move, he just went low and changed direction so Brendan's shoulder caught him across the face. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a suspension, but I don't think he targeted the head, just one of those things that happens when a player is trying to avoid a hit and by doing so makes himself vulnerable.

Do you guys think this will affect his chances at making the bigs this season?

It shouldn't, but then again, I'm not Kenny or Babs. However, here's what Babs had to say:

Link

After reviewing video, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock acknowledged that Brendan Smith's shoulder struck Ben Smith's head. But Babcock implied Ben Smith put himself into a bad position by trying to make an extra move as he closed in on the Detroit goal.

"Is there any responsibility on the puck carrier -- toe dragging, sliding sideways -- to look after himself," Babcock said. "I'm not saying our guy isn't guilty, but you'd better not put yourself in those situations.

"He (Brendan Smith) was trying to make body contact, but their guy did this and left his head there." Babcock added, while jerking his head to the side to imitate Ben Smith's motion just before the impact.

How would a suspension work for Smith when we send him down to GR? Would we have to call him up at one point and have him sit out for the suspension or would he just be required to sit it out in the AHL?

Link

According to the AHL’s by-laws, a player who is under suspension in another league or organization who seeks to play in the AHL while under that suspension will have the relevant disciplinary matter independently reviewed by the President of the American Hockey League, who may in his discretion deem the player ineligible.

A few years old, but I still think it holds true.

This is going to be interesting how Shanny reacts to this hit. In every video he has been emphasizing that the player with the puck didn't make a sudden movement right before the hit. Since Ben Smith did the toe drag moving his head forward and body back immediately prior to contact, it might be a clean hit. Not every play where someone gets their bell rung is a suspend-able hit.

No surprise here, a hearing has been scheduled for Smith: link.

Some of those comments are beyond ridiculous. People need to use logic instead of getting all over the top emotional without even knowing the facts.

But, I agree with PrarieDog, this will be interesting to see what Shanny does, as it was most definitely a head hit, but the head was not the target and Ben Smith made a sudden movement at the very last second that unintentionally shifted Brendon Smith POA from the shoulder to the head.

Where are you seeing that?

I'm thinking more the rest of the preseason and 3-4 games.

TSN.ca:

Smith's disciplinary hearing is deemed to be "in person", which gives the league the right to suspend him for five or more games. In this case though, the player is likely to waive his right to appear in person and will do so instead by phone.