• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red Wings Addict

Filppula is "too nice".

Rate this topic

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is when his contract is really starting to look like a bargain.

I remember when he first signed the contract, a LOT of folks around here were calling it a bad deal. "Getting paid on potential" I believe was the main gripe. Even before the offensive breakout, Filppula was worth it. And seeing how the cap has continued to go up, $3 mil for a player of Filppula's caliber is ridiculous.

Keep going Fil, I'm guessing near 70 points by season's end! :clap:

The next question from the critics including myself will be "Can he rack up 50-60 points AND 'play center'?"

Now that's kind of a tough question because what does it really mean to play the center position? When the Euro Twins are at their best, they both benefit from not having to play center as much because they could improvise and back each other up. In all fairness, last year Datsyuk and Zetterberg were able to play a relatively pure center game and maintain a ppg pace. Fil was able to do it for I think 17 games in which he got 16 points or something like that? but later on got ice cold for whatever reason.

I remember when he first signed the contract, a LOT of folks around here were calling it a bad deal. "Getting paid on potential" I believe was the main gripe. Even before the offensive breakout, Filppula was worth it. And seeing how the cap has continued to go up, $3 mil for a player of Filppula's caliber is ridiculous.

Keep going Fil, I'm guessing near 70 points by season's end!

Yes, his two-way talent, work ethic and skating ability are more than enough to warrant the contract but it's also good to see him being rewarded on the scoresheet on a more regular basis. Back when he signed the contract, I remember estimating him to become a 20-25 goal and 40-50 assist scorer and his offensive potential is proving to be pretty close to that.

Amazing play by Fil. That was truly Datsyukian.

60+ points looks like a sure bet now, I'm thinking he'll end up with 65-70, but with Hank and him playing this well both of them could get over 70 points.

From November 13th, 2011

What is a "breakout year" for Fil in terms of points?

45-50 (4 votes [3.48%])

50-55 (20 votes [17.39%])

55-60 (36 votes [31.30%])

60+ (55 votes [47.83%])

How many points will Filppula score in 11-12?

40-45 (26 votes [22.61%])

45-50 (27 votes [23.48%])

50-55 (38 votes [33.04%])

55-60 (14 votes [12.17%])

60+ (10 votes [8.70%])

And now:

What is a "breakout year" for Fil in terms of points?

45-50 (7 votes [4.73%])

50-55 (27 votes [18.24%])

55-60 (42 votes [28.38%])

60+ (72 votes [48.65%])

How many points will Filppula score in 11-12?

40-45 (26 votes [17.57%])

45-50 (31 votes [20.95%])

50-55 (43 votes [29.05%])

55-60 (17 votes [11.49%])

60+ (31 votes [20.95%])

A little bit of a bandwagon effect there but that's alright.

Great article from last year, April 30, 2011 that's currently relevant.

Filppula, 27, is in his fifth season with the Wings. It was clear from his first training camp he'd be an NHL player because of his skating, passing and commitment to playing defense. A few years ago, the coaching staff arranged the seating in the locker room at Joe Louis Arena so Filppula would sit next to and learn from Zetterberg, but Filppula has benefitted just as much over the years from being around Datsyuk.

"I go back to my days in Detroit," Sharks coach and former Wings assistant Todd McLellan said, "and you could see a relationship building between Pavel and Fil. They became very close, and I think Fil tries to emulate Pav a lot, tries to do a lot of the things that he does and has learned a lot from him. So the evolution probably starts with their friendship and their relationship and builds from there. Now I've obviously been gone for three years, but you can see him steadily improving. He has an impact on the game at both ends of the ice night in and night out, and he's become a much better face - off man in the circle."

"Steadily improving" is the key phrase there. Not fast enough for your typical fan but it's there if you know how to look for it.

Filppula can play on the wing if needed, but Detroit's style of play practically demands a center with good skating ability, which is one of Filppula's biggest assets, and one he's now using to put himself in better positions to shoot. "I think he finds holes and gets himself in position because of his skating," Todd Bertuzzi said. "He's got a great set of hands on him, he's pretty shifty, and he's pretty elusive. He's putting himself in shooting spots, and he's starting to take himself to the net more and he was rewarded with a pretty good series offensively. We're going to need a lot of that this series."

Filppula said he has "learned a lot from watching from Pavel, because he's such a great player. He's the only one who can do what he does, but I do try to learn from him." Datsyuk, in typical joker mode, said the two aren't friends because "I have no friend on ice," but is delighted with how Filppula has developed. "He play more better, make better decisions in tough situation, and he skate strong. He good player for us. I like him because he is funny guy."

Haha Pavel... 'No friend on ice.' Classic.

Datsyuk and Filppula often duel at the end of practices, going head - to - head on face- offs. They hang out off the ice when the Wings are on the road, which is cool with Zetterberg, Datsyuk's longtime close friend on the team, who sees right through it. "That's been going on a long time,' Zetterberg said, smiling. "But Pavel is just using him a little bit, to go to movies and dinner and stuff."

Yeah I can see Pav making Fil pay for everything, haha. Not cool Pav, you know you have the better salary. :P

Most importantly...

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are the team's Euro twins, a moniker bestowed on them nearly a decade a go when their blossoming friendship fed the chemistry they had as linemates.

Can Filppula be another brother? Datsyuk shook his head and smiled, "He not there yet."

I think he's there now. The way Filppula passes and cycles the puck with such confidence when he plays with Zetterberg or Datsyuk is true proof of some great chemistry.

Anyone remember this empty netter where all three of them combined to get it done? It's at 7:57

"There are run of the mill empty net goals... And then there's THAT!"

“Fil, anyway you look at it, has lifted his game to a point where you got to consider him in the top three forwards on the team.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/03/nicklas_lidstrom_provides_emot.html

Go Fil. :thumbup:

Currently at 62 points. His breakout year is now statistically official according to the standards of LGW.com.

He's tied for the lead in points for the team. :blink:

He is INSANE this season!!! He's always been a beautiful skater but it's like he's even quicker now, it's to do with confidence, the way he's attacking the offensive zone, carrying the puck with more confidence, driving to the net. He's going to have a brilliant playoffs I just know it.

He's tied for the lead in points for the team. :blink:

He is INSANE this season!!! He's always been a beautiful skater but it's like he's even quicker now, it's to do with confidence, the way he's attacking the offensive zone, carrying the puck with more confidence, driving to the net. He's going to have a brilliant playoffs I just know it.

He has been playing out of his mind. To me, he has been the single most consistent player on this team all year. He's had slumps like anyone else, but there was little drop on the ice, just on the scoresheet. He is playing with a lot of swagger and seems to have a real feel for things in the offensive zone.

Last night he was setting the table left, right, and center. He skates hard to back off the D before stopping, circling and creating time and space to make the play. Even when he wasn't lugging the puck and putting it on his linemates' tape, he was causing chaos, backchecking, forechecking, stripping pucks, intercepting outlet passes, or simple giving the puck a good chop to dangerous places. There was a sequence in the 3rd period when he kept the play alive in the offensive zone pretty much single-handedly, while creating numerous chances for linemates by simply chipping the puck away from the opponent to dirty areas.

Keep up the good work, FIL! On pace for 67 points, but I know you'll hit 70 and break 25 goals!

Edited by b.shanafan14

Unbelievable the way he's playing. Comes down to one word...

Confidence.

He's full of it. He's just so confident every time he steps on the ice, the way he skates he's forcing defenceman to back off, and with his hands he's making plays all the time. It's incredible to watch.

One of Babcock’s most emphatic assertions was regarding the development of Valtteri Filppula, who, with six games left in the regular-season, has already surpassed his previous single-season best for goals (23), assists (41) and points (64).

“He’s gone to a whole different level,” Babcock said. “He’s got his game to a level that, to me, they’ve got to be talking about him in the other room each and every night. He’s given us another legitimate force up front that makes us hard to play against.”

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=624425&cmpid=rss-crawford

I remember at last year's luncheon (not sure if it's the same one) Babs fawned all over Cleary and Franzen. He really spoke of them as if the Wings will never ever ever ever ever trade the two. I also vaguely remember hearing that Babs didn't speak all that highly about Filppula or something like that. It's interesting to see Babs have a different tone this year about Fil.