• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red Wings Addict

Filppula is "too nice".

Rate this topic

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

DSCF1824.jpg

Teammates want to fire up Filppula

http://www.freep.com/article/20110925/SPORTS05/109250596/Red-Wings-teammates-want-fire-up-Valtteri-Filppula

The coaching staff placed Filppula's locker next to Zetterberg's a few years ago in hopes of fostering a close relationship between the two, with Zetterberg the mentor. He's a few years older, and, being a Swede, had to go through the same process of adapting to North American hockey as his Finnish colleague.Zetterberg believes he has cracked how to get Filppula to break the 40-point barrier.

"I think it has to do with his personality," Zetterberg said. "He's too nice. It's OK to be nice off the ice, but he has to be a little more selfish on the ice, not passing all the time, or not always thinking about others. He has to think about himself and do it himself.

We've had this talk, and hopefully he will be more selfish this year."

Like Zetterberg, Kronwall said Filppula "is too nice. A lot of times he'd rather shoot than pass, so if he can just pick up a little of the mentality from Hank and Mule, that'd be great."

So how does one fire up a Finn? Easily, according to Zetterberg. "Oh," he said, "you just talk about all the good things about Sweden."

Ken Holland was probably the first to throw out that 70 point potential number for Filppula right after he signed him to his current contract. At the same time, he added a qualifier to it.

"We love everything about him because he's a complete player with great character, and we think he can get even better,'' Detroit general manager Ken Holland told The Associated Press. "He plays hard, he plays hurt. He's got great speed and talent along with versatility because he can play left wing or center. "The only thing no one knows is how good he can be. But even if he doesn't become a 70-point scorer we think he might be, we'll still love everything about him as a player and person.''

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/07/blockquotejuly_30.html

So I'd like to poll LGW and maybe create our own definition of what a breakout year for him would really be. I'd also like to see where people predict his point totals will be by the end of the year. It could be a fun little hindsight thread.

A lot of the things Filppula does on the ice doesn't show up on the score-sheet and he also is one of the few Wings who steps up his game significantly in the playoffs, but with that said a break out year is anywhere north of 50 points and I think he'll reach that mark this season.

So how does one fire up a Finn? Easily, according to Zetterberg. "Oh," he said, "you just talk about all the good things about Sweden."

Haha! :thumbup:

I've heard Filppula has played pretty well this preseason with Hank and Mule. Hopefully he can continue that on regular season.

Edited by Jusek

A lot of the things Filppula does on the ice doesn't show up on the score-sheet and he also is one of the few Wings who steps up his game significantly in the playoffs, but with that said a break out year is anywhere north of 50 points and I think he'll reach that mark this season.

Exactly. The really high point totals haven’t come, but he offers way more than just numbers. He’s such a good skater, great at puck possession, plays great defence, basically when he’s on the ice you know he’s going to play hard, and play ‘safe’ in that we’ll spend a lot time in their zone. To me he’s such a well-rounded player who can have an outstanding night and yet come away with no points. His numbers don’t tell the full picture as to the valuable player he is. And as you said, he always steps it up come the playoffs.

I don't even think it has to do with passing/shooting (only), but his aggressiveness in general. When he is fired up, he can take over a game. That's not an exaggeration, we've seen it at least a few times before. He has the talent and he has the skills. What he needs is a killer mentality and for him to keep it on the whole season. Z is right, he is a team guy first, and that is why he doesn't put up huge numbers.

What he needs is a killer mentality and for him to keep it on the whole season.

This. His 2009-10 season was a great example, but he only played 55 games that year. He has had long stretches like that before, but over 82 games they always have ended up countered out with some lows. What we need to see is more of the 2009-10 Flip, and I think we'll get that this year. His main thing I think is, with regards to the killer mentality is as follows:

When he plays third line he views himself as a checking center and plays like it, his offense is significantly reduced due to conservatism.

When he plays wing on the first or second line, he views himself as "secondary" to the top goal scorer on that line (Hank, Dats, or Franzen usually), and plays much less aggressive on the net.

If he's centering the second line, it's almost a perfect storm for him in recent years; except that despite the Wings' overload of quality centers, they can't play him there and have the best results. Hank and Dats are both far better than Flip, and more effective at center than on the wing. So Flip would have to play at that level to make putting Hank/Dats back together the right decision.

Which leaves it down to Flip having to change his mindset. Right now he views himself as a playmaker who can occasionally score goals, which needs to change if he's playing on the wing. He needs to be more aggressive, get down low, and bang away. He needs to get into scoring positions more, instead of setting up like a playmaker he needs to make himself a goal scorer. It's the same thing as Hudler's speed and strength issues; if Hudler is going to stick in the top six for Babcock, he needs to have the strength to fight in the corners and come up with the puck, instead of losing most battles. He needs to improve his speed to overcome his lack of size, so that he has an advantage against the big, slow defensemen a lot of teams like to populate their PK units with - Scott Hannan, anyone?

For the record, I picked 60+ as breakout and 55-60 for this season (assuming he stays as a top-six winger, of course) because I think that's his skill level and he's just coming into his prime.

How many years do we wait for the Filppula "breakout"? I'm not trying to rip on Fil as he is an important part of the team, but maybe we just need to accept he isn't going to be a big point producer in the NHL.

I voted 60 points as a breakout, which I believe is fully attainable for a top six forward on the Red Wings playing with Pavel or Hank especially for a guy with a skill set like Filppula has. I expect Filppula to probably get around 50 points though. I need to see more consistent offensive production before I buy into this hype every year.

I've always said he does everything well but nothing exceptional or elite, which is fine. The Wings don't need him to breakout and get 60-70 points, but it would be nice. As long as he remains on of the better two-way players I'm fine with that. Same with how I'd be fine if they packaged him for a better player. Either way is okay with me.

Stick Pulkkinen with Flip in a couple years and let Flip pass to him all game long, see how that works out.

It's not just Flip, most of the team plays too team-conscious. I love a team-first mentality, but it seems like very few the past two seasons have been willing to just take over a game like they used to. Teamwork is great, but SOMEONE has to be relied on consistently.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Funny how people think his "breakout" year he'll score 60+, yet most vote he'll score 50-55 this year. Is 50-55 not a breakout year for him?

Funny how people think his "breakout" year he'll score 60+, yet most vote he'll score 50-55 this year. Is 50-55 not a breakout year for him?

Maybe they see the 60+ point mark more as his potential. Hard to determine what a "breakout year" really means.

Guest Shoreline

It's a good thing as 60+ could mean maybe 70 or 90 points.

It speaks in numbers that fans actually believe positively that Flip can contribute amongst top players points-wise. Could it be a stretch? Sure. I'm more liking the confidence factor though.

I do agree with what those who said his contributions aren't necessarily points and what they're getting at as well. It's not just points it's defence, it's being a two way forward, things which home-grown Red Wings are taught in the last two decades.

That being said it is certainly time for him to step it up another notch and out of development phase. Those who watched him in juniors and Red Wings alike know what he's capable of. This team needs him more this season than last, and the year before that. Hopefully he gets a fire under his ass and becomes the player we all think he can become.

Edited by Shoreline

This better be Filppula's last chance for a breakout year. I'm tired of waiting for him to make the leap. Considering the condition of the Wings, he's the best trade bait we have come the deadline.

I think this will be his fourth (or third) chance. 08-09; 09-10; 10-11 and now this year.

I say third maybe because Babs was hell bent on playing Fil at center and even moreso about splitting up the twins when the Wings signed Hossa. I know players are supposed to take jobs in order to move up but Fil was definitely not going to displace Pav, Z, Mule, or Hossa; Babs was also pretty stubborn about keeping Homer and Pav together; which left one spot in the top six available and for much of the year it was Cleary's because he earned it first of all along with the fact that they had more than enough skill in the top six and needed another Homer-type.

It's not just Flip, most of the team plays too team-conscious. I love a team-first mentality, but it seems like very few the past two seasons have been willing to just take over a game like they used to. Teamwork is great, but SOMEONE has to be relied on consistently.

I agree.

The past two seasons, especially last year, I questioned the teamwork of this club. It seemed like no one trusted anyone out there and it showed up in our GAA. You had some players trying to do to much and others not doing enough. Multiple times during intermission interviews did we hear about trust not being there, people trying to do other peoples job on the ice. A couple of games after we would see the Wings play as good as they can but after that back to the normal inconsistent untrusting teamwork.

On topic:

What is a "breakout year" for Fil in terms of points?

60+ points

How many points will Filppula score in 11-12?

45-50 points is my guess. The only thing stopping Flip from being a legit 2nd line scoring center is consistency.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Let's be logical and honesty here in talking about when Fil "should have" have his breakout season.

In 06-07 is was a rookie. 07-08 he almost scored 20 goals, maybe not a legit breakout season, but for a 2nd year player, that's pretty good. It was definitely a big step up from his rookie season. In 08-09 he was demoted with the signing of Hossa, and in 09-10 he was out for half the season, yet still had some extremely impressive stretches of play, despite playing with 4th liners for a good period of time when he got back from his injury. The only real disappointing was last season.

The other thing is he is an unbelievably streaky player. All his points seem to come in 8 or 10 game stretches when he's on fire, the rest of the time he's ice-cold.

And a lot can depend on his line-mates. Is Zetterberg going to be fit and healthy or skating in treacle because of his back? Is Franzen going to be the motivated goal machine he can be or will he mail it in like he did the 2nd half of last season?

The other thing is he is an unbelievably streaky player. All his points seem to come in 8 or 10 game stretches when he's on fire, the rest of the time he's ice-cold.

And a lot can depend on his line-mates. Is Zetterberg going to be fit and healthy or skating in treacle because of his back? Is Franzen going to be the motivated goal machine he can be or will he mail it in like he did the 2nd half of last season?

But none of that will matter if he scores within ten points of Hudler. Regardless of whether Hudler scores 10 or 90.

This is exactly my thinking. I am still not sure what has happened since we won the last cup, but our defense has been very suspect and it has nothing to do with Lids or his age. Players like Fil that are versatile are the glue that holds the team together. Where were the wings in terms of overall scoring compared to the rest of the league last year? I can say with confidence that we had one of the most balanced attacks in the NHL. That being said - we dont really need Fil to be that star player. His personality suggests that he is comfortable being the excellent supporting player and team first guy. If he's not that superstar, and the Wings dont need the offense, why force him to be someone that he's not? Personally I love having a guy that can skate, backcheck, win faceoffs, play LW or C, and provide decent support.

I agree.

The past two seasons, especially last year, I questioned the teamwork of this club. It seemed like no one trusted anyone out there and it showed up in our GAA. You had some players trying to do to much and others not doing enough. Multiple times during intermission interviews did we hear about trust not being there, people trying to do other peoples job on the ice. A couple of games after we would see the Wings play as good as they can but after that back to the normal inconsistent untrusting teamwork.

On topic:

What is a "breakout year" for Fil in terms of points?

60+ points

How many points will Filppula score in 11-12?

45-50 points is my guess. The only thing stopping Flip from being a legit 2nd line scoring center is consistency.

This is what I was talking about. I am not sure if it was just not knowing what their Defensive partner was going to do, or not expecting a pass, but something was a fraction of a second off. With our rotating D last season no one had a chance to get into a groove and just play. The D corps seemed to slow down their thinking a bit, and make the safe play off the boards to get it out. That has NEVER been the best option in the Wings' system. This is also partially due to the bad defensive positioning of some of our forwards coming back - not backchecking hard enough or being available for a pass. Lids said it best; "I think we just need a bigger commitment to team defense. We need to get back to that and it will help our game." <<<-- In my opinion that is where Fil can be a leader - backchecking and commitment to defense.

Edited by swedishconnection