• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red Wings Addict

Filppula is "too nice".

Rate this topic

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mike Babcock's message to Valtteri Filppula has been relentless: Go to the inside, and watch what happens.

The Red Wings hold Filppula in high regard because he's about as all-around utilitarian as they come: penalty killer, power-play guy, speedy, great vision, outstanding passes.

Could stand to shoot more, but overall, a very good and very efficient player. Also a player that this season, finally, is poised to reach closer to 60 points than the 40 points he has maxed out at since entering the NHL in 2006-07.

Filppula scored by going to the net and tapping in Henrik Zetterberg's shot at 14:52 of the third period, scoring the final goal as the Wings beat Edmonton, 3-0, Friday at Joe Louis Arena. It was Filppula's fourth point in the past three games and 11th in 14.

"I thought Fil had another strong game," Babcock said.

"It's always the same with Fil: The more he gets on the inside, the more he shoots the puck, the better player he is. He can always transport the puck and be on the outside, but if he wants to be on the inside, that's where the high-end players play."

Filppula has been a center most of his career but has thrived offensively since being used mostly on the wing.

At 27, and with five full seasons to his credit, he's well aware that given his status as a top-six forward and power-play regular, he's got to be producing, and he's got to heed Babcock's directions.

"I try to do that more, get in front more, definitely I agree that hasn't been a good part of my game, and that's something I need to do more of, and it's something I think about," Filppula said. "Now if I get to play this much, power play, I expect more out of myself. That way, yeah, I'm hoping it'll be a big year."

Teammates are glad to see Filppula assert himself.

"Tonight, again, he showed he's making a lot of good plays out there and making things happen," Niklas Kronwall said. "He's really taking advantage of this opportunity.

"I think everyone has always felt like he's got more in him. He's always been a great, dependable two-way player, but now I think we're starting to see even more of the offensive side of him."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111112/SPORTS05/111120366/Red-Wings-Mike-Babcock-Valtteri-Filppula-has-inside-track

Seems like that's all anyone has to watch for if they want to strictly go by the numbers.

Huh... I guess I'm on a Filppula update binge. His scouting report on forecaster.ca is much different. The bolded parts are the new updates.

ASSETS: Owns both outstanding playmaking skills and great speed. Is creative, plays a mature game and possesses two-way acumen. Always works hard, is very dedicated and responsible in his own end. Can play all three forward positions.

FLAWS: Must continue to get stronger in order to better handle physical opponents. Is only average in the goal-scoring department; it wouldn't hurt if he started to utilize his vast tool-set much more to put up even better numbers.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Solid two-way forward.

http://forecaster.canada.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?3074

Edited by Red Wings Addict

Yes, I know +/- is a very flawed stat, but....

Filppula: +9

Rest of team: +5 or less

And he's on pace for over 60 points this season. Hopefully he can keep it going. :thumbup:

EDIT: My bad. Ian White's a +7. But +7 or less doesn't sound as good. :hehe:

Edited by Nevermind

Guys.

The Joe didn't have any Filppula jerseys. :( Even worse, when I asked for a large 51, the guy was like, "Whose that?". :ranting:

I got my Filppula jersey his rookie year :) Had to order it online though.

Excuse me, sir. I believe you mean, "Where ARE your updates?" Yeah. Show some grammatical respect for the cult of trolls at LGW. They keep this website afloat with activity. :hehe:

I edited it and went a different route.

Some more quotes about Fil's recent good play.

Zetterberg echoes the sentiment of Fil's biggest fans:

"He’s really taken charge, the way he handles the puck, the way he sets up plays and has confidence to make plays," Zetterberg said. "Everyone has been waiting for him to take the next step, but you have to also be given that chance to take the next step and I think this year he’s been given that chance ... "He’s been showing he can really take that step, too."

Fil also makes an interesting tidbit about the differences between playing center and wing. As a former center myself, I feel like I can relate to the idea but I don't think I've ever heard it in these exact words.

"You don’t attack any more than you do as a center," Filppula said. "But usually as a center you attack against all five guys, or four guys. Now as a winger you have one or two guys ahead of you ... Being a (winger) you can think more about playing in the offensive zone than you can when you’re a center. At least that’s how I felt when I was playing center, because you were always worried about taking some of the responsibility off the defense."

Z makes another good point.

"When I play with him and I’m center — same thing as when I play with Pav (Datsyuk) -- first guy back is the center," Zetterberg said. "If you count all the times he’s the first guy back, it might be 50-50 ... Playing center or wing is not that big a difference. It’s basically on paper. Then when you go out you just react to the situation. Maybe he doesn’t have to be the first guy back all the time, so he has more energy to create something offensively."

Now that Fil has somebody on his line to easy a little bit of his defensive worries he perhaps has more freedom to think offensively. It's too bad that doesn't work as well when say Franzen is the backup first guy back. Fil obviously feels he has to worry more about defense when it's not Pav or Z.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_reaping_benefits_of.html

Now that Fil has somebody on his line to easy a little bit of his defensive worries he perhaps has more freedom to think offensively. It's too bad that doesn't work as well when say Franzen is the backup first guy back. Fil obviously feels he has to worry more about defense when it's not Pav or Z.

When Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are gone, the top 2 lines should look a lot better. Much more pressure on the other teams than what we've seen the last 2 years.

So right now through 15 games Fil is on pace for 70 points. I'm still not sure whether or not I simply want to make an evaluation based mostly on his tangible track record right now (as in, he officially hasn't passed the 40 point mark) or perhaps make a judgment with more of an emphasis on the current pace. Right now I feel like I still want to default on my guess from the beginning of the season (52-55) points.

The data as of right now though is interesting.

What is a "breakout year" for Fil in terms of points?

45-50 (4 votes [3.48%])

50-55 (20 votes [17.39%])

55-60 (36 votes [31.30%])

60+ (55 votes [47.83%])

How many points will Filppula score in 11-12?

40-45 (26 votes [22.61%])

45-50 (27 votes [23.48%])

50-55 (38 votes [33.04%])

55-60 (14 votes [12.17%])

60+ (10 votes [8.70%])

I edited it and went a different route.

You're mean.

God, 3 times last night Fil moved into the high slot, open, with the perfect opportunity to shoot and passed back outside the slot. If anyone thinks I don't ever want to bash the kid over the head with a chair sometimes, think again. If he shot the puck all three times the score last night would have been 5-2, guaranteed. :battle:

Edited by Z and D for the C

God, 3 times last night Fil moved into the high slot, open, with the perfect opportunity to shoot and passed back outside the slot. If anyone thinks I don't ever want to bash the kid over the head with a chair sometimes, think again. If he shot the puck all three times the score last night would have been 5-2, guaranteed. :battle:

Yes, I noticed that too, but Fil does have one of the weakest wristers on the team. I dont think Ive ever seen him take a slapper.

Where Fil really stands out this year is on the breakout out of his own zone. With Zetterberg doing the dirty work, Fil can stay high in the D zone, and really use his speed to his advantage to make a good breakout play.

I think Fil is the second fastest player on the team, by a mile. He has nearly Helm like speed, and I dont know who would be 3rd, but Fil and Helm are a step above the rest.

Yes, I noticed that too, but Fil does have one of the weakest wristers on the team. I dont think Ive ever seen him take a slapper.

Where Fil really stands out this year is on the breakout out of his own zone. With Zetterberg doing the dirty work, Fil can stay high in the D zone, and really use his speed to his advantage to make a good breakout play.

I think Fil is the second fastest player on the team, by a mile. He has nearly Helm like speed, and I dont know who would be 3rd, but Fil and Helm are a step above the rest.

Yeah, I agree. I'd have to say Mursak. Is he faster than Flip? I can't say I've seen him skate much but I remember him being a step above everyone else as well.

10299141-large.jpg

Red Wings' Valtteri Filppula showing maturity, confidence team has been seeking

DETROIT -- Seeing the speed, skill and potential Valtteri Filppula possesses, the Detroit Red Wings continually have challenged him to bring out his best.

He has answered the call this season, playing the best hockey of his career. It is the kind of internal improvement the team needs from its supporting players, one that can make a significant difference.

"I said to (general manager) Kenny Holland, it might have been as good a stretch as he’s had since he’s been here," coach Mike Babcock said.

Filppula has four goals in his past three games. He is second on the team with seven goals and is tied for second with 19 points. He is on pace to eclipse his career highs in goals (19 in 2007-08) and points (40 in 2008-09).

Holland said it has just taken some time for Filppula, who is only 27, to mature as a player.

"Everybody wants a 23-, 24-, 25-year-old to be a good player," Holland said. "If you’re a really good player in the NHL at 23, 24, 25, you’re a star, and not everybody is a star. It takes time to feel comfortable with the league and your responsibilities.

"We talked to the team in training camp, said that if we were going to take the next step forward we needed some of our 20-somethings to take a step.

"He’s comfortable with the league. As he plays good, he gets more responsibility. He’s more confident hanging onto the puck."

Filppula has been stronger on his skates and more assertive with the puck. He’s playing more on the inside.

"Trying to go to the net a little more and trying to shoot the puck a little more," Filppula said. "I think that’s the main two things that I’ve tried to focus on. A lot of goals are scored by getting rebounds, and I’m just trying to go to the net and find pucks."

He has five multiple-point games. He had seven all of last season.

"He’s skating very well," teammate Henrik Zetterberg said. "He can make good plays. He’s fun to play with. He’s easy to play with. It’s nice he’s getting rewarded with some goals."

Throughout all his line shuffling, Babcock has kept Filppula mostly on the wing. Lately, he has been skating with Zetterberg and Danny Cleary, though Jiri Hudler replaced Cleary on that line in Saturday’s 4-1 victory against Nashville, Detroit’s fifth in a row.

The Red Wings host the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday.

"It’s a little different and it always takes a little time to get used to," Filppula said of the wing. "Playing in your end is a lot different. Other than that, it hasn’t changed too much with how we play. I have to play a little closer to the boards, something that I’ve been practicing."

Filppula has good chemistry with Zetterberg, who after a slow start is picking up the pace with seven points (two goals, five assists) in six games.

"He’s great with the puck, he’s great without the puck, and when he has the puck, you just try to get open and he’s going to give it to you," Filppula said. "At the same time, when I have the puck, he’s working hard to try to get available. So, he makes it easy to get him the puck as well."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/11/red_wings_valtteri_filppula_sh.html

Fil usually tends to step up when he sense the team really, really needs him. I feel like that's at least a small part of what's going on right now because of Zetterberg's really slow start. Though, Z is starting to show small signs of life, which is good. My hope is that if Z really breaks out soon that Fil won't take his foot off the gas.

"Z plays great at both ends and does most of the defense off the line, so that way it gives a little more opportunity on the offensive side," Filppula said. "Now it seems like pucks are going in, and that's good as long as it lasts. But I am trying to play and work the same way every game. I'm glad I can produce a little bit more."

http://www.freep.com/article/20111202/SPORTS05/112020431/1053/sports05

Hmm... Has anybody else noticed this observation or is Fil "being too nice" about his contribution on the defensive end?

Fill keeps raising his value and it is at an all time high right now. It be hard to imagine fill not being the centerpiece for a trade for a sniper.

Either way hope he keeps this up.

With Fil playing like he is, there's approximately 0 percent chance of him being traded.

Too many blind homers here who don't understand how the NHL front office works.

Filppula playing well does indeed increase his trade value. That doesn't mean he will definitely be traded, but it does mean he's the centerpiece of any "big" trade Holland makes.

We can't trade Zetterberg, Datsyuk or Franzen. Our other forwards are undesirable if we're talking about a blockbuster deal for a Parise or Iginla. No one will want Cleary or Hudler for that deal. Also, we're not trading Kronwall or Lidstrom.

It's nice how some of you here act like high school cheerleaders and don't do much thinking when it comes to supporting a player, but you need to get real. Filppula is not an untouchable player. If he's untouchable, no one will want to trade with us. Then we'll go into the playoffs with the exact same roster as the last two seasons. And then we can all cheer Filppula on as he has another good playoff and yet get eliminated in the second round again.

Sometimes I wonder if some people here love certain players before their love for the team.

Edit: Forgot about Stuart. If he truly doesn't feel like re-signing, we may as well ship him to CA. Unfortunately, his stock has dropped this season.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Too many blind homers here who don't understand how the NHL front office works.

You included.

We are top 3 in goals scored and goals allowed in the West (while still having games in hand) and no other team in the West is even close to our goal differential. Filppula is not going to be traded. It would be unwise by the front office to trade away one of their best forwards who isn't in their prime yet. You really should look in the mirror before you criticize others for not "understanding how a front office works".

You included.

We are top 3 in goals scored and goals allowed in the West (while still having games in hand) and no other team in the West is even close to our goal differential. Filppula is not going to be traded. It would be unwise by the front office to trade away one of their best forwards who isn't in their prime yet. You really should look in the mirror before you criticize others for not "understanding how a front office works".

Flip is in his prime... he is 27 and will be 28 in March. They won't trade Flip because Z isn't scoring that many goals now a days and we need the goals that Flip has produced.

Edited by dragonballgtz

You included.

He's not one of our top 3 forwards. Those are the only untouchable forwards on this roster. Since when was a guy that plays on the second line and doesn't get paid a lot of money untouchable?

We scored a ton of goals last year as well. That has nothing to do with my argument. Why even bring that up? I'm looking into the future and not just getting blindly excited about a regular season winning streak. We always score a lot of goals in the regular season.

The last couple of playoffs our secondary scoring hasn't been good. Filppula has actually played well in those playoffs, but it hasn't been enough because we haven't scored enough key goals. Trading him away in order to increase our chances at winning a Cup by getting a guy like Iginla or Parise is not unwise. In fact, it's a no-brainer. Of course it won't be easy because other pieces will have to be involved.

If you want a lot, you have to give up something of value in return. That's how it works. However, if you want another loss to San Jose in the second round, don't make any "important" changes to the team. Just add a depth defenseman at the deadline and maybe a bottom six Kyle Calder type forward . See how far that gets us.

Flip is in his prime... he is 27 and will be 28 in March. They won't trade Flip because Z isn't scoring that many goals now a days and we need the goals that Flip has produced.

Flip is not going to continue scoring more goals than Z. I don't expect that to last. If that lasts, we have bigger problems on our hands with Zetterberg.

He's not one of our top 3 forwards.

This season, despite how much you hate him, he has been our best, most consistent forward over 24 games. He's playing twice as good as Franzen who has been (unsurprisingly) invisible lately except for his goal last night and Datsyuk obviously has stepped up his game. Yes, theoretically, he "should" be our 4th best forward. Right now, out on the ice, he's #2. Over the whole season, game in game out? #1. I know how much this hurts you.

Furthermore, trading Filppula for Iginla or Parise, even straight up, is a ridiculously stupid move. You're giving up our future for success right now. Iginla is out of his prime and we have more than a good chance at getting Parise long term over the summer. You'd have to be an idiot to trade Filppula for either of these players. He won't be going anywhere. Also, looking at what Pittsburgh gave up for Hossa, I definitely think we could easily get Parise without having to trade away Filppula. Same with Bobby Ryan. s***, Filppula is probably better than Bobby Ryan, if not as good.

Flip is not going to continue scoring more goals than Z. I don't expect that to last.

And what are your expectations worth? I'm sure you didn't expect Filppula to have 21 points and 8 goals after 24 games.

Edited by Z and D for the C

I just don't see the appeal of trading flip. Hes a homegrown wing, with great defensive responsibilities and puts up good points. I just don't know what you'd expect to get in return that would be better than what flip offers, whether hes having a good season or average season. Hes the kind of playmaker that makes his linemates better, just like dats and Z, but not quite at their level. For his salary, I think it would be foolish to trade him - especially given the red wings success.

This season, despite how much you hate him, he has been our best, most consistent forward over 24 games. He's playing twice as good as Franzen who has been (unsurprisingly) invisible lately except for his goal last night and Datsyuk obviously has stepped up his game. Yes, theoretically, he "should" be our 4th best forward. Right now, out on the ice, he's #2. Over the whole season, game in game out? #1. I know how much this hurts you.

Furthermore, trading Filppula for Iginla or Parise, even straight up, is a ridiculously stupid move. You're giving up our future for success right now. Iginla is out of his prime and we have more than a good chance at getting Parise long term over the summer. You'd have to be an idiot to trade Filppula for either of these players. He won't be going anywhere. Also, looking at what Pittsburgh gave up for Hossa, I definitely think we could easily get Parise without having to trade away Filppula. Same with Bobby Ryan. s***, Filppula is probably better than Bobby Ryan, if not as good.

And what are your expectations worth? I'm sure you didn't expect Filppula to have 21 points and 8 goals after 24 games.

Are you competing with eva now?

Ryan and the Ducks are off to a bad start, but let's not get carried away. He's put up great numbers in the past few seasons. Also, Datsyuk has been our best forward this season, not Filppula.

Yeah, Iginla is aging, but our window to win the Cup is closed when Lidstrom retires. It'd be worth making a gamble for one good final Cup run.

I just don't want us to take the same roster into the playoffs again and get beat. We have plenty of cap space to make a move.

Edited by GMRwings1983