• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Red Wings Addict

Filppula is "too nice".

Rate this topic

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That slap shot is the punctuation mark to the statement, "I'm Val Filppula and I've changed for the better!"

Yeah, seriously. He's definitely playing well lately, but that tonight was about an elite play as you'll see in the NHL; it made me sit up like I'd been electrocuted. Just take the puck and BAM- TOP SHELF, motherf***er. (I'm pretty sure there's an expression like that in Finland.)

That slap shot is the punctuation mark to the statement, "I'm Val Filppula and I've changed for the better!"

Except he really hasn't changed. He's always been this player but had his priorities to play defense first and second. Now he just has offense as his second priority instead of it being halfway down his list.

Except he really hasn't changed. He's always been this player but had his priorities to play defense first and second. Now he just has offense as his second priority instead of it being halfway down his list.

I agree with most of what you said except I believe he really has changed in terms of confidence on the offensive end.

I never seem to have confidence in him when it comes to shootout situations. He capitalized on this one so good for him.

And yeah I was wrong about him tying his career high in points. I don't know what happened there. Maybe I was looking at someone else's stats on the chart, probably Franzen's. Sorry Hockey Gods!

Guest irishock

Filppula has come a long way to becoming the player he is right now. I think he's a definitely a legit top 6 forward who we shouldn't give away in a trade for someone like Ryan, etc.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120124/SPORTS05/120124044/red-wings-angry-birds-pavel-datsyuk

Funny tid-bits from the Free Press involving Filppula and Zetterberg

And here's that licorice update everyone has been anticipating: After finding out, thanks to a release from Panda licorice, that the Finnish product is a favored snack of NHLer Teemu Selanne, the question was put to the Wings' Finn, Valtteri Filppula, whether he, too, likes to indulge.

Locker stall neighbor Henrik Zetterberg overhead the question and broke in laughing. "Yes, he does, because Fil likes anything Teemu Selanne likes. If Selanne does it, Fil does it."

Filppula said he does, in fact, eat Panda licorice. When asked whether he also enjoys Angry Birds (also a Finnish export), Zetterberg interjected, "Yes, because there's not a lot of things you can do in Finland. Just eat licorice and play Angry Birds."

Great to see Filppula coming into his own. Skating great, playing his usual good defense, gaining confidence along with points and ice time. Keep it up, and pick up the pace, I want 70 points and at least 25 goals :D.

Some great quotes about Filppula from Selanne.

"I am very happy for him," Selanne said. "I always know that he has all the tools -- he can skate, he can pass, he's strong. His shot could be better, I think, but that's the only thing that I think of that he could be better. The players who they have had here, it has been hard to break into the first two scoring lines. Now that he is there, it's all about confidence and believing he can do it, and expecting yourself to be good offensively. That's what Valtteri is doing."

http://www.freep.com/article/20120211/SPORTS05/202110379/Teemu-Selanne-compliments-fellow-Finn-Valtteri-Filppula?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

“I don't think this place has been easy to break into the top two lines because they have such great players,'' Selanne said. “But now, finally, he's in the top two lines and now it's time for him to expect of himself that he can do that ... After that everything is about confidence. When you get that, there's no limits. I'm so happy for him. I've been waiting for a long time because this guy has everything you need to be at the superstar level.''Selanne said switching Filppula from center to wing might have helped.

“His mindset is more about passing than shooting, maybe that changes his mind to be a little more aggressive with the shooting and challenging the goalie,'' Selanne said. “But I think the main thing for him now is he's expecting himself to do damage offensively.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/breakout_season_for_red_wings.html

He broke out of his pointless streak with an assist on Z's goal last night. It's a good sign for him if he can keep whatever pointless streaks he may have to 2-3 games instead of last year's lengths.

Great to see Filppula's effort night in, night out. I've said it before, but this guy brings it as consistently as anyone in the league. He is tenacious every game and make the team better, even when he isn't showing up on the scoresheet. To date he is on pace for 64+ points and 24+ goals. As the team pushes towards the playoffs and gets healthy, its conceivable that his score pace picks up even more. Just like Z, I see him scoring closer to 70 points by the end of the season. Points aside, he brings more than most.

Good on ya, Fil :clap: :clap: :clap: