#141 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

"If Selanne does it, Fil does it."

Haha, classic.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#142 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

I bet some years ago Stevie said in a similar sentiment, "If Forsberg does it, Z does it."

#143 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Ok NOW he has tied his career high in points.

Currently on pace for 64 points.

#144 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:23 PM

Some great quotes about Filppula from Selanne.

"I am very happy for him," Selanne said. "I always know that he has all the tools -- he can skate, he can pass, he's strong. His shot could be better, I think, but that's the only thing that I think of that he could be better. The players who they have had here, it has been hard to break into the first two scoring lines. Now that he is there, it's all about confidence and believing he can do it, and expecting yourself to be good offensively. That's what Valtteri is doing."

http://www.freep.com...ext|FRONTPAGE|s

“I don't think this place has been easy to break into the top two lines because they have such great players,'' Selanne said. “But now, finally, he's in the top two lines and now it's time for him to expect of himself that he can do that ... After that everything is about confidence. When you get that, there's no limits. I'm so happy for him. I've been waiting for a long time because this guy has everything you need to be at the superstar level.''Selanne said switching Filppula from center to wing might have helped.

“His mindset is more about passing than shooting, maybe that changes his mind to be a little more aggressive with the shooting and challenging the goalie,'' Selanne said. “But I think the main thing for him now is he's expecting himself to do damage offensively.''

http://www.mlive.com..._red_wings.html

He broke out of his pointless streak with an assist on Z's goal last night. It's a good sign for him if he can keep whatever pointless streaks he may have to 2-3 games instead of last year's lengths.

#145 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Too bad we can't see who voted for what. :D

#146 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Great to see Filppula's effort night in, night out. I've said it before, but this guy brings it as consistently as anyone in the league. He is tenacious every game and make the team better, even when he isn't showing up on the scoresheet. To date he is on pace for 64+ points and 24+ goals. As the team pushes towards the playoffs and gets healthy, its conceivable that his score pace picks up even more. Just like Z, I see him scoring closer to 70 points by the end of the season. Points aside, he brings more than most.

Good on ya, Fil :clap: :clap: :clap:

#147 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'd still be happy with a 52-55 point season.

#148 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

Filppula has now scored 50 points for the first time in his career and he did it in 63 games.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#149 NorwegianWing

NorwegianWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Great stuff. Love it when guys like that develop inside the system and the Red Wings. Longevity and patience pays off. Let's hope he brings it in the playoffs - it's not like he hasn't before.

#150 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

This is when his contract is really starting to look like a bargain.
Thank You TeeMan

#151 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

This is when his contract is really starting to look like a bargain.

I remember when he first signed the contract, a LOT of folks around here were calling it a bad deal. "Getting paid on potential" I believe was the main gripe. Even before the offensive breakout, Filppula was worth it. And seeing how the cap has continued to go up, $3 mil for a player of Filppula's caliber is ridiculous.

Keep going Fil, I'm guessing near 70 points by season's end! :clap:

#152 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

The next question from the critics including myself will be "Can he rack up 50-60 points AND 'play center'?"

Now that's kind of a tough question because what does it really mean to play the center position? When the Euro Twins are at their best, they both benefit from not having to play center as much because they could improvise and back each other up. In all fairness, last year Datsyuk and Zetterberg were able to play a relatively pure center game and maintain a ppg pace. Fil was able to do it for I think 17 games in which he got 16 points or something like that? but later on got ice cold for whatever reason.

#153 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

He currently has more points than any player for the Capitals.

#154 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

I hope he can produce seasons like this for the next couple of years. Has been a pleasure watching him become the player envisioned this year.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#155 FinWing

FinWing

Vaasa red & white

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

I remember when he first signed the contract, a LOT of folks around here were calling it a bad deal. "Getting paid on potential" I believe was the main gripe. Even before the offensive breakout, Filppula was worth it. And seeing how the cap has continued to go up, $3 mil for a player of Filppula's caliber is ridiculous.

Keep going Fil, I'm guessing near 70 points by season's end!

Yes, his two-way talent, work ethic and skating ability are more than enough to warrant the contract but it's also good to see him being rewarded on the scoresheet on a more regular basis. Back when he signed the contract, I remember estimating him to become a 20-25 goal and 40-50 assist scorer and his offensive potential is proving to be pretty close to that.
Thank You TeeMan

#156 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#157 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

He scored off a slapshot, hehe.

#158 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

What a freaking beast!! He's been phenomenal all season, playing with such energy and confidence all night!!!

He was absolutely insane last night!

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#159 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I wish Val had been a little less "nice" last night and scored himself, instead of giving the puck to Z. I was pulling for him to get a FlipTrick™

He's still utterly awesome, anyway. :P

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#160 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I wish Val had been a little less "nice" last night and scored himself, instead of giving the puck to Z. I was pulling for him to get a FlipTrick™

He's still utterly awesome, anyway. :P

It's all about them curly fries.