• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Gustav Nyquist

Rate this topic

I hope he's not another Kindl waiting to happen. As in, guy almost makes the team out of camp and then... well, you know.

I'm still high on Kindl and have confidence he can become a 2nd pairing defenceman, but I tend to agree. If you've got a kid that can clearly make a positive contribution to the team which Nyquist can, why send him down? He performed so well in the PS and for what, the chance of a call-up at some stage this year? He was dominant most nights he played, and this started a month back at prospects camp and continued right until the final PS game. Disappointing for him that he went out there, did his best, outperformed virtually everyone, and it still wasn't good enough because he's got options.

I'll reiterate what I said yesterday before this game even happened.

I'm ok with trying to see if Emmerton will clear waivers and signing Brunner to a one-way deal in hopes that we can see if he'll clear waivers to be sent down while playing Nyquist. I just think Gustav just has too much skill, skill that would significantly help the team more than Emmerton or Brunner. When Mursak comes back, then try and call up Emmerton or Brunner and send Nyquist back down.

Except Sit Miller or trade Hudler when Mursak comes back. Nyquist needs to be on this team. If his only flaw is that he isn't big enough at the moment, then that's ok. Hudler/Filppula have never been big. Zata and Pavs were tiny when they entered the league in a much rougher era.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more disappointed I get. He flat out produced every single game, how can you send him down??? I get that he's young, I get that he's small, I get that you'd have to waive one of Emmerton/Brunnstrom for him to make it, but he is that good. He is a legitimate scoring talent. I can't see how they can dismiss everything he did in the PS simply because he has options. He is good enough, right now, to help this team and that's all that should matter. The sooner this kid is with this team to help reach his potential, the better.

Guest blueadams

IMO, he's the shot in the arm that this talented - but not quite stanley cup level - team has been hanging on and waiting for. Twenty-two is far from being too young to play in the NHL. I think we need to get him ready for the post-season. Put him on Datsyuk's wing and keep him there for the entire season. Let them develop some chemistry. The lines shape out really nicely after that. Then if we can make nice use of all that cap space at the deadline, this could be a championship team. The clock is ticking on this squad. We need to have some urgency here.

In addition to keeping Nyquist on the 23-man roster, I'd also keep Brunnstrom. He's just got so much more potential than Miller or Emmerton. I'd really hate to lose him. Then we can just try to get Emmerton or Miller through waivers...probably won't be able to...and it probably won't really be THAT big of a blow either.

Thoughts?

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

Hudler/Brunnstrom-Filppula-Eaves

Abdelkader-Helm-Cleary

Miller/Emmerton

*IR*Mursak

Lidstrom-White

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-Commodore

Kindl

Howard

Conklin

Edited by blueadams

Wings assign eight to Grand Rapids

Sunday, 02.10.2011 / 8:51 PM / Press Release By Rick Bowness - Public Relations Coordinator DETROIT -- The Red Wings today announced that eight players have been reassigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL): forwards Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, Landon Ferraro, Joakim Andersson, and Brent Raedeke, defensemen Travis Ehrhardt and Brian Lashoff, and goaltender Jordan Pearce. Thirty players now remain in training camp.

The Detroit Red Wings assigned eight players today to the Grand Rapids Griffins: forwards Chris Conner, Joakim Andersson and Landon Ferraro; defensemen Doug Janik, Garnet Exelby and Brian Lashoff; and goaltenders Joey MacDonald and Jordan Pearce.

Janik, Exelby, Conner and MacDonald will go on waivers Monday and have until noon Tuesday to clear, at which point they would join the Griffins.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more disappointed I get. He flat out produced every single game, how can you send him down??? I get that he's young, I get that he's small, I get that you'd have to waive one of Emmerton/Brunnstrom for him to make it, but he is that good. He is a legitimate scoring talent. I can't see how they can dismiss everything he did in the PS simply because he has options. He is good enough, right now, to help this team and that's all that should matter. The sooner this kid is with this team to help reach his potential, the better.

I'm with you. In the games I've watched plus the highlights he's really impressed me. I didn't see any of the games he played in Grand Rapids at the tail end of last season but from all reports the shift from college hockey to the A was quite smooth. It would make sense to send him down if he wasn't slated for a top 9 role so he can play top 6 minutes every night rather than playing 8 minutes a night and sitting in the press box every other night. However he seems like he could slip into the top 9 quite easily. In Kenny we trust etc etc...

Guest blueadams

blueadams why do you keep posting lines with Holmstrom on the top line? He's not going to be on the top line this year....

he'll swap with cleary, a lot.

Not only does he make the team, but he plays on the top line all season.

What an achievement.

And with Homer on the line to boot.

I hope Datsyuk doesn't die of exhaustion by the end of October if that's the case.

1) i truly believe that nyquist is pav's best linemate on the roster right now (next to filppula, of course, but babs is dead-set against playing them together for some reason).

2) homer would swap with cleary, a lot.

Wings assign eight to Grand Rapids

Sunday, 02.10.2011 / 8:51 PM / Press Release By Rick Bowness - Public Relations Coordinator DETROIT -- The Red Wings today announced that eight players have been reassigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL): forwards Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, Landon Ferraro, Joakim Andersson, and Brent Raedeke, defensemen Travis Ehrhardt and Brian Lashoff, and goaltender Jordan Pearce. Thirty players now remain in training camp.

just delaying the inevitable imo (or maybe buying time to arrange a trade for emmerton/miller).

Guest blueadams

Blueadams,

Piss off with the multiple line threads.

UKRedWing

it's not a line thread, actually. i just like to tag all of my posts with lines.

Do you really have to create a new line thread EVERY ******* DAY? Jesus dude, get a grip.

That said, my would-be lines...

Zetterberg Datsyuk Cleary

Franzen Filppula Nyquist

Brunnstrom Helm Eaves

Bertuzzi Abdelkader Holmstrom

Emmerton/Miller

do you really need to read all of my lines threads - and by that i mean both of them, of course. NO. get a grip on your anger.

blueadams Homer and Cleary won't be switching a lot cause Cleary won't be playing on the 4th line. Even you should know this. Homer's minutes are going to be dramtically less unless we're on the PP a lot. I think Homer might (might) get a chance on the top line but it all depends on who's producing and putting up points 5 on 5 especially. Thank f your not the coach lol

He needs to be on the team just so everybody can learn how to pronounce his name correctly.

Sooner or later "Nyequist" will be the next "Zetterburg." Neither of which are even close to how those names should be pronounced.

Edited by Red Wings Addict

Nyquist showed very solid fundementals and a great understanding of the game. on top of that he really showed he can produce at the NHL level, even if it was preseason. The Wings have enough depth they don't NEED him, and it is better for him to stay down in the AHL and develop another year instead of being brought up to the big time and having his development stifled. I would have loved to see him play and I think he'll be part of a solid, young core in a year or so along with Emmerton and Brunnstorm.