• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Gustav Nyquist

Rate this topic

The closest way I can demonstrate this over text is Nyew-queest (with a hint of V within the u) and Setterbearj (the j is mostly silent).

Just like how Filppula is supposed to sound like Philp-Pula as if an accent is over the third P.

WRONG.

Zetterberg is Zetterberg. Nyquist is Nyquist.

We are not in Sweden. We are in America. And in America, we speak English.

Period.

WRONG.

Period.

That's rather disrespectful. Nyquist has shown he is a young, passionate, talented player. He deserves the same respect as a player that anyone else gets. You don't pronounce The Rocket's name wrong so you shouldn't pronounce Nyquist any different. Announcers and fans should always attempt to say the name right. Casual fans can be forgiven, but if you know the right way you should always use it.

That being said, the point was originally brought up as a joke, so let's focus our aruement on how good he actually is.

Do you really have to create a new line thread EVERY ******* DAY? Jesus dude, get a grip.

That said, my would-be lines...

Zetterberg Datsyuk Cleary

Franzen Filppula Nyquist

Brunnstrom Helm Eaves

Bertuzzi Abdelkader Holmstrom

Emmerton/Miller

I love how so many people on here have the "remove Hudler from the lineup simply for the sake of removing him" concept stuck in their head. Is Nyquist better than Hudler right now? Probably not. Will he be in three years? Maybe. But having a guy like Nyquist who can be sent to the minors now, and benefit from playing top-line time with guys like Tatar who he will likely play with for years to come, instead of spending quality time in the press box with some two-man combination of Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader, Fabian Brunnstrom, Jan Mursak, Cory Emmerton, Patrick Eaves, Mike Commodore, Jakub Kindl, and Jonathan Ericsson. There's no point to having Nyquist on the team this year unless Hudler plays out the beginning of last season all over again. And even then, the Wings are still more than loaded up front with Z, Dats, Franzen, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Homer all being strong offensive players, as well as Bruno and Emmerton available to take Hudler's ice time if offense is really an issue.

WRONG.

Period.

There is no official language in the USA. We speak English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, Gaelic, and every other language known to man. Yes, English is dominant, but not to the exclusion of all others.

As for the names; they do not change because they are being pronounced by someone in their non-native tongue. The person might not say it correctly, or be able to say it or used to saying it correctly; but it doesn't make it correct. For example, regarding the name Sergei, "SIR-gei" is not correct. "SAYER-***" is correct. Generally, anyway. There are always exceptions. Andrea is a common name in the USA which has multiple pronunciations with the same spelling. Or the name Mikael; "MICK-ull" or "Mick-A-ull" with the same spelling.

Go tell Dustin Byfuglien that his name is not pronounced "BUFF-lin", but instead is pronounced "By-FUG-ly-enn" because "We are in America. And in America, we speak English. Period." See what he says to that.

"I’m not trying to take anything away from the kid, he was outstanding, he’s been great all camp," Babcock said. "But the league usually gets to another level (in the regular season). We’ll see what the guys we have can do, and if (Nyquist) just keeps playing so good that he’s got to be on the team then he’ll be on the team."

Everything in Nyquist world will be fine.

I love how so many people on here have the "remove Hudler from the lineup simply for the sake of removing him" concept stuck in their head. Is Nyquist better than Hudler right now? Probably not. Will he be in three years? Maybe. But having a guy like Nyquist who can be sent to the minors now, and benefit from playing top-line time with guys like Tatar who he will likely play with for years to come, instead of spending quality time in the press box with some two-man combination of Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader, Fabian Brunnstrom, Jan Mursak, Cory Emmerton, Patrick Eaves, Mike Commodore, Jakub Kindl, and Jonathan Ericsson. There's no point to having Nyquist on the team this year unless Hudler plays out the beginning of last season all over again. And even then, the Wings are still more than loaded up front with Z, Dats, Franzen, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Homer all being strong offensive players, as well as Bruno and Emmerton available to take Hudler's ice time if offense is really an issue.

There is no official language in the USA. We speak English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, Gaelic, and every other language known to man. Yes, English is dominant, but not to the exclusion of all others.

As for the names; they do not change because they are being pronounced by someone in their non-native tongue. The person might not say it correctly, or be able to say it or used to saying it correctly; but it doesn't make it correct. For example, regarding the name Sergei, "SIR-gei" is not correct. "SAYER-***" is correct. Generally, anyway. There are always exceptions. Andrea is a common name in the USA which has multiple pronunciations with the same spelling. Or the name Mikael; "MICK-ull" or "Mick-A-ull" with the same spelling.

Go tell Dustin Byfuglien that his name is not pronounced "BUFF-lin", but instead is pronounced "By-FUG-ly-enn" because "We are in America. And in America, we speak English. Period." See what he says to that.

This thread has the potential to be moved.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

WRONG AGAIN. English is our national language here in America. Official or Unofficial makes no difference. We speak English. Therefore, the announcers pronounce the names on the back of the sweaters in English. And yes, Frenchies get a pass because they started the fricking sport. So Richard is Rih-shard and Messier is Mess-ee-ay. But that's as far as it goes.

WRONG.

Period.

The only name you don't make an effort to pronounce correctly is Roy.

Why? Because their name isn't English.

Why not instead of signing Brunnstrom, we just give Nyquist the spot? Brunner looked good his first couple games then started to resemble Hudler, who looked like garbage. Start Gus on the 3rd line and then let him dangle from the 2nd line.

WRONG.

Period.

This is Americuh and we speak American, not Mexican or Scandinavia or what ever the hell the people in Twilight speak!

Nascar!!!!!

Guest Crymson

WRONG AGAIN. English is our national language here in America. Official or Unofficial makes no difference. We speak English. Therefore, the announcers pronounce the names on the back of the sweaters in English. And yes, Frenchies get a pass because they started the fricking sport. So Richard is Rih-shard and Messier is Mess-ee-ay. But that's as far as it goes.

Another county heard from. What's up with these new people?

English isn't our national language... do a google search before your instigate.

Anyways, is Nyquist on GR for the year or is he able to be called up? I still think it's weird Brunnstorm went up before him, though I can see why.

There is no national language. Also, various evidence has shown that hockey was started in England by the English, in Canada by British troops, and in Scandinavia. Do you know what that means? It's likely that different areas had different versions of a stick and ball game that over time morphed into one we call "hockey".

And it's awfully bigoted of you to say "Well, we'll pronounce it properly for French Canadians, but not for Europeans." But I suppose that would put you in line with guys like Don Cherry, who are for some reason massively popular despite (because of?) their bigoted attitudes.

English isn't our national language... do a google search before your instigate.

Anyways, is Nyquist on GR for the year or is he able to be called up? I still think it's weird Brunnstorm went up before him, though I can see why.

WRONG AGAIN AGAIN. English is our national language. It's not our "official" language, but it IS our national language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States

To try and argue otherwise is just a waste of time. We speak English here in America. There are other languages, but the dominant language is English.

There's no reason to make things more difficult then they have to be. I would bet that the large majority of these young foreign players want to assimilate into our culture, and would goff at someone stressing about whether their name was being pronounced right or not by Darren Pang. Give me a break.

Nyquist. You're Nyquist. Not Nyee-ka-vist or Nee-ka-wist or anything else. You're Nyquist. Period.

And by the way, why is he not going to make the team? He's a snipe.

WRONG AGAIN AGAIN. English is our national language. It's not our "official" language, but it IS our national language.

http://en.wikipedia....i/United_States

To try and argue otherwise is just a waste of time. We speak English here in America. There are other languages, but the dominant language is English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

There is no "national language" of the United States. Hopefully when you read it on Wikipedia you'll believe it. I'm done.

There's a huge difference between the 40 games a year he's played a college and the demanding 82 game NHL season. I think it makes the most sense to give him the year in the AHL where he will play against men and get used to some serious travel and a longer schedule. Then, see where he's at next summer. Plus, he will be available for a call up or two if needed.

http://en.wikipedia....i/United_States

There's no reason to make things more difficult then they have to be. I would bet that the large majority of these young foreign players want to assimilate into our culture, and would goff at someone stressing about whether their name was being pronounced right or not by Darren Pang. Give me a break.

Nyquist. You're Nyquist. Not Nyee-ka-vist or Nee-ka-wist or anything else. You're Nyquist. Period.

And by the way, why is he not going to make the team? He's a snipe.

i almost forgot how much of a jerk scott stevens was...

http://wickerpedia.org/

this is the detroit red wings, not the panthers. realistically nyquist probably has at least 2 seasons in the AHL ahead of him.

edit: /NCAA

Edited by number9

He's got lots of talent and he seems to be able to use it, but it was preseason and while I know people will say that doesn't matter in truth he doesn't have enough experience yet at the top level. If it was less deep team he may have gotten called up but he'll benefit more getting playing time in the AHL then seeing little ice time in the NHL.

You have a point and I respect that. It's just that writing things like above makes you sound a bit :no::bored::rip: :carrot: :banana: :puke: :patriot:

In my opinion everyone can pronounce names just like they want to. I don't think there are rules for that. To me names don't change even if language changes. This ain't a big deal but learning to pronounce someone's name in the way that it was originally intended shows respect. But this doesn't mean that if you don't do this it's disrespectful or rude. Just a nice little gesture among other nice little gestures that can make a foreign person feel welcome.

Isn't this supposed to be a thread about how good Nyquist and not how to pronounce his name?

Did anyone read the reminder thread that was posted that was posted on here. If you missed here is the link. Quick Reminder

Not only does everyone need to stay on topic but everyone also needs to get over the ignorance that English is the only language spoken in America. Each and every day this country grows more and more diverse. Different languages will be spoken, different names will pronounced different ways, and there is nothing you can do about it especially starting a grammar war on here. Let's just stay on topic.

I think Nyquist has great speed and great stick work. I can't wait to see him getting full line minutes in the NHL but I think he has at least 1 more year in Grand Rapids but possibly 2. Either way, he is going to be a great asset to the organization. Watching him play is exciting and not also is he going to constantly reel in points, he is going to fill the seats of JLA (or the new one).

Isn't this supposed to be a thread about how good Nyquist and not how to pronounce his name?

I thought that this was about all thing Nyquist. :hehe: So, was he good in school? Any scars or moles?

Seriously though, sometimes it's really difficult to not have thread go off topic. Sometimes people write something that's not quite on the topic but still you can't resist answering. Same thing happens in real life conversations.