• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#41 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Nyquist got 'screwed' (yes, I realize the contract problems) he deserves to be on the team now.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#42 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

blueadams why do you keep posting lines with Holmstrom on the top line? He's not going to be on the top line this year....

he'll swap with cleary, a lot.

Not only does he make the team, but he plays on the top line all season.

What an achievement.

And with Homer on the line to boot.

I hope Datsyuk doesn't die of exhaustion by the end of October if that's the case.

1) i truly believe that nyquist is pav's best linemate on the roster right now (next to filppula, of course, but babs is dead-set against playing them together for some reason).

2) homer would swap with cleary, a lot.

Wings assign eight to Grand Rapids
Sunday, 02.10.2011 / 8:51 PM / Press Release By Rick Bowness - Public Relations Coordinator DETROIT -- The Red Wings today announced that eight players have been reassigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL): forwards Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, Landon Ferraro, Joakim Andersson, and Brent Raedeke, defensemen Travis Ehrhardt and Brian Lashoff, and goaltender Jordan Pearce. Thirty players now remain in training camp.

just delaying the inevitable imo (or maybe buying time to arrange a trade for emmerton/miller).

#43 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

If Nyquist made the team and didn't produce or do anything everyone would be calling for his head. This is the right move and I'm glad our management does this. Babs in a post game interview said if Nyquist continues to be hot in GR he will be called up. Fair enough imo.

#44 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Do you really have to create a new line thread EVERYf****** DAY? Jesus dude, get a grip.

That said, my would-be lines...

Zetterberg Datsyuk Cleary
Franzen Filppula Nyquist
Brunnstrom Helm Eaves
Bertuzzi Abdelkader Holmstrom
Emmerton/Miller

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#45 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

Blueadams,

Piss off with the multiple line threads.

UKRedWing

it's not a line thread, actually. i just like to tag all of my posts with lines.

Do you really have to create a new line thread EVERYf****** DAY? Jesus dude, get a grip.

Franzen Filppula Nyquist
Brunnstrom Helm Eaves
Emmerton/Miller

do you really need to read all of my lines threads - and by that i mean both of them, of course. NO. get a grip on your anger.

#46 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

blueadams Homer and Cleary won't be switching a lot cause Cleary won't be playing on the 4th line. Even you should know this. Homer's minutes are going to be dramtically less unless we're on the PP a lot. I think Homer might (might) get a chance on the top line but it all depends on who's producing and putting up points 5 on 5 especially. Thank f your not the coach lol

#47 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

He needs to be on the team just so everybody can learn how to pronounce his name correctly.

Sooner or later "Nyequist" will be the next "Zetterburg." Neither of which are even close to how those names should be pronounced.

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 02 October 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#48 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Sooner or later "Nyequist" will be the next "Zetterburg." Neither of which are even close to how those names should be pronounced.

How should they? :ph34r:

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#49 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

How should they? :ph34r:

The closest way I can demonstrate this over text is Nyew-queest (with a hint of V within the u) and Setterbearj (the j is mostly silent).

Just like how Filppula is supposed to sound like Philp-Pula as if an accent is over the third P.

#50 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Nyquist showed very solid fundementals and a great understanding of the game. on top of that he really showed he can produce at the NHL level, even if it was preseason. The Wings have enough depth they don't NEED him, and it is better for him to stay down in the AHL and develop another year instead of being brought up to the big time and having his development stifled. I would have loved to see him play and I think he'll be part of a solid, young core in a year or so along with Emmerton and Brunnstorm.

#51 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

The closest way I can demonstrate this over text is Nyew-queest (with a hint of V within the u) and Setterbearj (the j is mostly silent).

Just like how Filppula is supposed to sound like Philp-Pula as if an accent is over the third P.

WRONG.

Zetterberg is Zetterberg. Nyquist is Nyquist.

We are not in Sweden. We are in America. And in America, we speak English.

Period.

#52 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

WRONG.

Period.

Oooh this should be fun...

#53 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

WRONG.

Period.

That's rather disrespectful. Nyquist has shown he is a young, passionate, talented player. He deserves the same respect as a player that anyone else gets. You don't pronounce The Rocket's name wrong so you shouldn't pronounce Nyquist any different. Announcers and fans should always attempt to say the name right. Casual fans can be forgiven, but if you know the right way you should always use it.

That being said, the point was originally brought up as a joke, so let's focus our aruement on how good he actually is.

#54 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Franzen Filppula Nyquist
Brunnstrom Helm Eaves
Emmerton/Miller

I love how so many people on here have the "remove Hudler from the lineup simply for the sake of removing him" concept stuck in their head. Is Nyquist better than Hudler right now? Probably not. Will he be in three years? Maybe. But having a guy like Nyquist who can be sent to the minors now, and benefit from playing top-line time with guys like Tatar who he will likely play with for years to come, instead of spending quality time in the press box with some two-man combination of Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader, Fabian Brunnstrom, Jan Mursak, Cory Emmerton, Patrick Eaves, Mike Commodore, Jakub Kindl, and Jonathan Ericsson. There's no point to having Nyquist on the team this year unless Hudler plays out the beginning of last season all over again. And even then, the Wings are still more than loaded up front with Z, Dats, Franzen, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Homer all being strong offensive players, as well as Bruno and Emmerton available to take Hudler's ice time if offense is really an issue.

WRONG.

Period.

There is no official language in the USA. We speak English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, Gaelic, and every other language known to man. Yes, English is dominant, but not to the exclusion of all others.

As for the names; they do not change because they are being pronounced by someone in their non-native tongue. The person might not say it correctly, or be able to say it or used to saying it correctly; but it doesn't make it correct. For example, regarding the name Sergei, "SIR-gei" is not correct. "SAYER-***" is correct. Generally, anyway. There are always exceptions. Andrea is a common name in the USA which has multiple pronunciations with the same spelling. Or the name Mikael; "MICK-ull" or "Mick-A-ull" with the same spelling.

Go tell Dustin Byfuglien that his name is not pronounced "BUFF-lin", but instead is pronounced "By-FUG-ly-enn" because "We are in America. And in America, we speak English. Period." See what he says to that.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#55 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

"Im not trying to take anything away from the kid, he was outstanding, hes been great all camp," Babcock said. "But the league usually gets to another level (in the regular season). Well see what the guys we have can do, and if (Nyquist) just keeps playing so good that hes got to be on the team then hell be on the team."

Everything in Nyquist world will be fine.

#56 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

I love how so many people on here have the "remove Hudler from the lineup simply for the sake of removing him" concept stuck in their head. Is Nyquist better than Hudler right now? Probably not. Will he be in three years? Maybe. But having a guy like Nyquist who can be sent to the minors now, and benefit from playing top-line time with guys like Tatar who he will likely play with for years to come, instead of spending quality time in the press box with some two-man combination of Drew Miller, Justin Abdelkader, Fabian Brunnstrom, Jan Mursak, Cory Emmerton, Patrick Eaves, Mike Commodore, Jakub Kindl, and Jonathan Ericsson. There's no point to having Nyquist on the team this year unless Hudler plays out the beginning of last season all over again. And even then, the Wings are still more than loaded up front with Z, Dats, Franzen, Flip, Cleary, Bert, Homer all being strong offensive players, as well as Bruno and Emmerton available to take Hudler's ice time if offense is really an issue.

There is no official language in the USA. We speak English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, Gaelic, and every other language known to man. Yes, English is dominant, but not to the exclusion of all others.

As for the names; they do not change because they are being pronounced by someone in their non-native tongue. The person might not say it correctly, or be able to say it or used to saying it correctly; but it doesn't make it correct. For example, regarding the name Sergei, "SIR-gei" is not correct. "SAYER-***" is correct. Generally, anyway. There are always exceptions. Andrea is a common name in the USA which has multiple pronunciations with the same spelling. Or the name Mikael; "MICK-ull" or "Mick-A-ull" with the same spelling.

Go tell Dustin Byfuglien that his name is not pronounced "BUFF-lin", but instead is pronounced "By-FUG-ly-enn" because "We are in America. And in America, we speak English. Period." See what he says to that.

This thread has the potential to be moved.

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 02 October 2011 - 11:20 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#57 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

WRONG AGAIN. English is our national language here in America. Official or Unofficial makes no difference. We speak English. Therefore, the announcers pronounce the names on the back of the sweaters in English. And yes, Frenchies get a pass because they started the fricking sport. So Richard is Rih-shard and Messier is Mess-ee-ay. But that's as far as it goes.

#58 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

WRONG.

Period.

The only name you don't make an effort to pronounce correctly is Roy.

Why? Because their name isn't English.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#59 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:52 AM

Ok in all seriousness, what is that Easton stick that he and Bertuzzi now use?

#60 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:21 AM

Why not instead of signing Brunnstrom, we just give Nyquist the spot? Brunner looked good his first couple games then started to resemble Hudler, who looked like garbage. Start Gus on the 3rd line and then let him dangle from the 2nd line.

WRONG.

Period.

This is Americuh and we speak American, not Mexican or Scandinavia or what ever the hell the people in Twilight speak!

Nascar!!!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".