• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#61 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:13 AM

WRONG AGAIN. English is our national language here in America. Official or Unofficial makes no difference. We speak English. Therefore, the announcers pronounce the names on the back of the sweaters in English. And yes, Frenchies get a pass because they started the fricking sport. So Richard is Rih-shard and Messier is Mess-ee-ay. But that's as far as it goes.

Another county heard from. What's up with these new people?

#62 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

English isn't our national language... do a google search before your instigate.

Anyways, is Nyquist on GR for the year or is he able to be called up? I still think it's weird Brunnstorm went up before him, though I can see why.

#63 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

http://www.mlive.com...ight_to_gr.html

Nyquist is on his way to Grand Rapids, as we all thought. This is great news because he is going to get top line minutes and a chance to develop.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#64 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

WRONG AGAIN. English is our national language here in America. Official or Unofficial makes no difference. We speak English. Therefore, the announcers pronounce the names on the back of the sweaters in English. And yes, Frenchies get a pass because they started the fricking sport. So Richard is Rih-shard and Messier is Mess-ee-ay. But that's as far as it goes.

There is no national language. Also, various evidence has shown that hockey was started in England by the English, in Canada by British troops, and in Scandinavia. Do you know what that means? It's likely that different areas had different versions of a stick and ball game that over time morphed into one we call "hockey".

And it's awfully bigoted of you to say "Well, we'll pronounce it properly for French Canadians, but not for Europeans." But I suppose that would put you in line with guys like Don Cherry, who are for some reason massively popular despite (because of?) their bigoted attitudes.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#65 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

He needs to be on the team just so everybody can learn how to pronounce his name correctly.

Sooner or later "Nyequist" will be the next "Zetterburg." Neither of which are even close to how those names should be pronounced.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Posted Image

#66 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

Is it really that big of a deal?

Only thing that annoys me a bit is hearing Babcock pronounce Fil's name as "Fil-a-poo-la".

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#67 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

English isn't our national language... do a google search before your instigate.

Anyways, is Nyquist on GR for the year or is he able to be called up? I still think it's weird Brunnstorm went up before him, though I can see why.

WRONG AGAIN AGAIN. English is our national language. It's not our "official" language, but it IS our national language.

http://en.wikipedia....i/United_States

To try and argue otherwise is just a waste of time. We speak English here in America. There are other languages, but the dominant language is English.

There's no reason to make things more difficult then they have to be. I would bet that the large majority of these young foreign players want to assimilate into our culture, and would goff at someone stressing about whether their name was being pronounced right or not by Darren Pang. Give me a break.

Nyquist. You're Nyquist. Not Nyee-ka-vist or Nee-ka-wist or anything else. You're Nyquist. Period.

And by the way, why is he not going to make the team? He's a snipe.

#68 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

WRONG AGAIN AGAIN. English is our national language. It's not our "official" language, but it IS our national language.

To try and argue otherwise is just a waste of time. We speak English here in America. There are other languages, but the dominant language is English.

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

There is no "national language" of the United States. Hopefully when you read it on Wikipedia you'll believe it. I'm done.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#69 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

There's a huge difference between the 40 games a year he's played a college and the demanding 82 game NHL season. I think it makes the most sense to give him the year in the AHL where he will play against men and get used to some serious travel and a longer schedule. Then, see where he's at next summer. Plus, he will be available for a call up or two if needed.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#70 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

There's no reason to make things more difficult then they have to be. I would bet that the large majority of these young foreign players want to assimilate into our culture, and would goff at someone stressing about whether their name was being pronounced right or not by Darren Pang. Give me a break.

Nyquist. You're Nyquist. Not Nyee-ka-vist or Nee-ka-wist or anything else. You're Nyquist. Period.

And by the way, why is he not going to make the team? He's a snipe.

i almost forgot how much of a jerk scott stevens was...

http://wickerpedia.org/

this is the detroit red wings, not the panthers. realistically nyquist probably has at least 2 seasons in the AHL ahead of him.

edit: /NCAA

Edited by number9, 03 October 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#71 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

Kinda like an American Don Cherry.

#72 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

He's got lots of talent and he seems to be able to use it, but it was preseason and while I know people will say that doesn't matter in truth he doesn't have enough experience yet at the top level. If it was less deep team he may have gotten called up but he'll benefit more getting playing time in the AHL then seeing little ice time in the NHL.

#73 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

You have a point and I respect that. It's just that writing things like above makes you sound a bit :no: :bored: :rip: :carrot: :banana: :puke: :patriot:

In my opinion everyone can pronounce names just like they want to. I don't think there are rules for that. To me names don't change even if language changes. This ain't a big deal but learning to pronounce someone's name in the way that it was originally intended shows respect. But this doesn't mean that if you don't do this it's disrespectful or rude. Just a nice little gesture among other nice little gestures that can make a foreign person feel welcome.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#74 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

Isn't this supposed to be a thread about how good Nyquist and not how to pronounce his name?

Did anyone read the reminder thread that was posted that was posted on here. If you missed here is the link. Quick Reminder

Not only does everyone need to stay on topic but everyone also needs to get over the ignorance that English is the only language spoken in America. Each and every day this country grows more and more diverse. Different languages will be spoken, different names will pronounced different ways, and there is nothing you can do about it especially starting a grammar war on here. Let's just stay on topic.

I think Nyquist has great speed and great stick work. I can't wait to see him getting full line minutes in the NHL but I think he has at least 1 more year in Grand Rapids but possibly 2. Either way, he is going to be a great asset to the organization. Watching him play is exciting and not also is he going to constantly reel in points, he is going to fill the seats of JLA (or the new one).
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#75 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:38 AM

Isn't this supposed to be a thread about how good Nyquist and not how to pronounce his name?

I thought that this was about all thing Nyquist. :hehe: So, was he good in school? Any scars or moles?

Seriously though, sometimes it's really difficult to not have thread go off topic. Sometimes people write something that's not quite on the topic but still you can't resist answering. Same thing happens in real life conversations.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#76 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

I thought that this was about all thing Nyquist. :hehe: So, was he good in school? Any scars or moles?

Seriously though, sometimes it's really difficult to not have thread go off topic. Sometimes people write something that's not quite on the topic but still you can't resist answering. Same thing happens in real life conversations.

I heard through the rumor mill he has a birthmark on his left butt cheek that is shaped like Sweeden. Not sure on the validity of this statement.

I know it's hard to stay "on topic" but I feel like when it deviates that much from the original post, it needs to get back. I have no problem with people voicing their political stances and such but as well as in real life, I think it needs to be done at the appropriate time.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#77 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Oh. My. God. This thread is a train wreck. PLEASE read Jedi's post; read the forum guidelines. There's so much wrong it here it's not even close to being funny.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011