• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Donaldjr2448

NHL Winter Classic 2012

Rate this topic

This really comes as no suprise. But I would like to know what it would take to have the Wings and Leafs play at Comerica next year?

I went to my first Wings/Leafs game last year and the atmosphere was unbelieveable then, I cannot imagine what it would be like for that game!

What do you all think of this game and perhaps having the Wings and Leafs play???

This pisses me off. There is NHL hockey west of the Mississippi you know. I agree that the Rangers would be an awesome team for the Winter Classic, but Philly already got to be in one. I'm tired of certain teams getting to go twice while other teams with just as much history are left out. Let some Western teams in!

And for a 4th time in 6 years a team from Pennsyltucky is involved.

I would absolutely love for a Red Wings-Blue Jackets matchup at Ohio Stadium, or even at Michigan Stadium.

But I also think the NHL is missing out. Why haven't the Avalanche hosted one yet? Sure their fans have disappeared, but you know they'd pack whatever they call the new Mile High Stadium. Hell, their name refers to a wintry weather phenomenon.

Obviously you're never going to have one in Tampa or Anaheim, but there are cities west of Pittsburgh the NHL should consider once in awhile.

Also, I do get to a point the exclusion of Canadian teams since they have their own Heritage Classic each year now.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

This really comes as no suprise. But I would like to know what it would take to have the Wings and Leafs play at Comerica next year?

I went to my first Wings/Leafs game last year and the atmosphere was unbelieveable then, I cannot imagine what it would be like for that game!

What do you all think of this game and perhaps having the Wings and Leafs play???

It would be nice, however, you're never going to see a Canadian team in the Winter Classic because they have their own classic.

I am again passing this one up...I agree with the person who said it wasn't fair for Philly to be in a second one when a lot of teams haven't even played in one. What's wrong with Minnesota/Dallas playing in Minnesota, or Colorado and someone in Denver, or even Jersey and the Islanders somewhere in Jersey, or at what used to be Shea. I don't really want the Wings back in until others have a fair chance, but if they decided to play Detroit and say, Columbus at the Big House, I would say make it a double header - Michigan/Michigan State in the first game, or Michigan/Ohio State, and then Wings/ Jackets. You'd sell out the Big House in a heartbeat.

The first is a Sunday so that means football, and there is no way NBC airs hockey over football.

Makes sense.....I guess.

Still ******* retarded (IMO) that they are trying to bring more fans to hockey and one way is by starting this yearly New Years Day "tradition" a few years ago, but then bumping it for football the year it happens to fall on a Sunday.

Calling it right now, Wings move to the East next year and play in the Winter Classic with an Original Six team or one of the poster boy NHL teams (Penguins / Capitals).

Makes sense.....I guess.

Still ******* retarded (IMO) that they are trying to bring more fans to hockey and one way is by starting this yearly New Years Day "tradition" a few years ago, but then bumping it for football the year it happens to fall on a Sunday.

Actually a pretty smart move if you ask me, the executives are realistic enough about their popularity that they know better than to take on football on a New Years Day Sunday... competing with the college bowls is one thing, having to try on the last weekend of the NFL season, when there are 13 NFL games starting at 1:00 PM, would be a disaster. Better to move it back a day and have a much stronger viewership - especially since I believe most people will have that day off anyways, with New Years Day falling on a weekend. Hockey can't take on football, but if there's no football to watch, more people will watch hockey which in general means more sponsorships etc. and overall attention paid to the Winter Classic. Good idea IMO.

I don't care who is in it, I'll watch it regardless. If you boycott watching this because certain high market teams are making it over other teams, then you probably would have boycotted the 80s Stanley Cup games seeing how NYI and EDM were always in them. Or maybe you just pretended the 60s and 70s didn't exist since Montreal would not stop winning cups. Who the F cares that a team is playing in the WC repeatedly? It's a sweet gimmick that is fun to watch regardless. I'm guessing the only people who are saying they are passing are the people who have never played hockey. I love watching these games because it reminds me of when I use to play hockey outdoors on my uncle's pond.

I remember hearing last year during the Winter Classic from the announcers that they'd like to see Detroit and Toronto play in Windsor for a Winter Classic.

Well I'm very disappointed in hearing that Philly gets another go around at the Winter Classic. I want to see other teams play in the Winter Classic. What about Minnesota or Colorado or some other Eastern Teams. Glad to see the Rangers are in it but now that makes both Philly and Pitts being in the Classic twice bfore a bunch of other teams aren't there 30 teams in the NHL no offense but what's so great about Pennsylvania??

I would rather see Wings vs Canadians, now that was even better then the Leafs visiting.