• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

9/28 Exhibition GDT: Red Wings at Chicago Blackhawks

Rate this topic

the wings ahl team played great. i think chicago should be embarrassed by their performance

Meh. This is normal during the pre-season. Players who are trying to impress their coaches putting on the best performances. Chicago's stars had nothing to play for.

Terrific effort from the young players tonight, but it just wasn't meant to happen. Sadly it was a terrible bounce off the glass support that tied the game and on top of that 3 PP goals that made the score what it was. Initially I didn't think to much of the hit from Smith since other Smith it appeared put himself in a very awkward position, but we all know the suspension will happen. Can't wait for the regular season to finally begin.

I don't think Brendan's intent was to hit him in the head, Ben just tried to slip by him and he happened to catch him. This being said I still believe Smith gets suspended. The hit was dangerous, and Smith is a low impact guy that can be suspended to set an example to other players. I would also guess that getting suspended will all but end Smith's chances of making the Wings' roster this year, barring injury, unless he really comes back flying to start the year.

The end result of that hit was bad. What do you expect Smith to do? Back away and flick his stick at the puck? He doesn't play the game like that, he's a hard nosed player. Ben Smith made a Lindros/Primeau esq move at the last second and got drilled. Smith is gonna be suspended because that's how it goes, but there was no intent and wasn't a bad check other then the end result. Feel bad for Ben Smith though, made a dumb move at last second but never good to see a guy crawling around on the ice in pain.

I'm not impressed at all with what Brendan Smith was trying to do there. Leaning like that where else did he think he would hit Ben Smith than right in his head?

If you watch that last replay from above, it looks intentional; even if it truly wasn't.

Looks as though he was trying to cut by real fast but misjudged Smiths speed.

Edited by NvrFrgtRussian5

Two things...

-How will the Smith suspension work? The Wings will have to call him up just so he can sit out the games? Or can he serve an "equivalent" suspension in the AHL? Plus, I think it's funny how Smith idolized Shanahan so much since they're both from around Mimico, Ontario I believe. Now he's gonna get punished by his idol, haha.

-Anyone want to start a panic thread about Ericsson? "ERICSSON SUCKZ. FLAT OUT FREEKIN TEH SUCK!"

his idol, haha.

-Anyone want to start a panic thread about Ericsson? "ERICSSON SUCKZ. FLAT OUT FREEKIN TEH SUCK!"

I would like to be the one who starts it. But don't want to risk eating major crow.

But I am in awe this boyman is getting paid over $900,000.

I don't think Brendan's intent was to hit him in the head, Ben just tried to slip by him and he happened to catch him. This being said I still believe Smith gets suspended. The hit was dangerous, and Smith is a low impact guy that can be suspended to set an example to other players. I would also guess that getting suspended will all but end Smith's chances of making the Wings' roster this year, barring injury, unless he really comes back flying to start the year.

I can agree with that assessment. I don't think he intended to clock him, but I don't know what he was thinking. If he was trying to slip past him to get at the puck, why was he leaning in? Also throwing his elbow out after the contact didn't make it look any better either.

Edited by Gizmo

It was poor positioning and a quick offender that ultimately did Brendan in. I don't think the hit was intentional per se, but much like when a player dekes out a defender and the defender sticks his knee or leg out, it's all reactionary and it seemed like Brendan knew he was going to get beat so he did the only thing he could to slow down the guy and threw his shoulder out. I don't think he meant to make contact with the ehad, but he for sure meant to make contact.

Disappointment is the only way to describe what happened tonight, in regards to the hit, of course. Intentional or not, the principal point of contact was the head and they are getting rid of that reckless type of play. The resulting play was also an injury which will be taken into consideration. There is no question he is getting suspended. He may get a bit of leniency because he is not a repeat offender, but he will be considered one from here on out. I'm just curious to see how the suspension plays out since he wasn't slated to make the team anyways. This seals that deal for the time being.

Edited by rrasco

The young guys did GREAT last night aginst the Blackhawks and their big guns. I know they lost and they even blew a 2 goal lead but the young players VS Chicago's Top Players did great IMO I was really impressed with Emmerton, Brunnstrom, Nyquist and Smith and as for the rest of the guys I think they played very well. It could have easily been a blow out for Chicago but Conks and the players in front of him did very well. I'm very optimistic for the Red Wings Future with the players we have in our system.

I second your post Dimaline ^^^ I was impressed with the kids. The Hawks put the best they had out there, and the youngsters more than held their own. That's was pre-season is for. I did wish momentarily that I could have seen the first line players since I don't see very many televised games here... but I enjoyed watching the young'uns out there. Conks, welcome back! :thumbup: