• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Kronwall contract talks

Rate this topic

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/11585/rumblings-latest-on-talks-for-doughty-suter-rinne-kronwall-mccabe-and-more

Kronwall and the Red Wings

Contract talks are well under way between the Red Wings and star blueliner Niklas Kronwall, who is eligible to become UFA on July 1. Both camps spoke this week. My colleague at TSN, Darren Dreger, also reports the Kronwall camp is looking for a long-term, front-loaded deal similar to what Christian Ehrhoff signed with Buffalo.

[/Quote]

I wouldn't have a problem with a Erhoff like contract. The cap hit was only $4 million, and the player gets paid. Protects against any roll back of salary in new CBA, and utilizes these loopholes before they are closed up. 10 years may be a bit much, but 6 isn't bad.

me too. Get it done Kenny :thumbup:

I feel like this is muttered way to often around here! Don't get me wrong, "In Kenny We Trust" but for some reason, I feel like there is going to come a time when Kenny "can't get it done".

I hope we can get Kronners around 5 a year for 5-7 years but after some of the recent signings....I don't know.

I feel like this is muttered way to often around here! Don't get me wrong, "In Kenny We Trust" but for some reason, I feel like there is going to come a time when Kenny "can't get it done".

I hope we can get Kronners around 5 a year for 5-7 years but after some of the recent signings....I don't know.

Oh, don't worry, I didn't.

Sheesh Ehrhoff contract? Dont like the sound of that.

Are you kidding? I would cream myself if we were somehow able to lock up Kronwall for the remainder of his career with an Ehrhoff type deal. $4 million cap hit for a guy of his calibre! If Kenny somehow pulls this one off, he really is a magician.

As long as Ilitch doesn't mind dropping the big coin the first two years (something he's never seemed to have a problem with), this potential deal is nothing but a major win for Kenny and Detroit.

Are you kidding? I would cream myself if we were somehow able to lock up Kronwall for the remainder of his career with an Ehrhoff type deal. $4 million cap hit for a guy of his calibre! If Kenny somehow pulls this one off, he really is a magician.

As long as Ilitch doesn't mind dropping the big coin the first two years (something he's never seemed to have a problem with), this deal is nothing but a major win for Kenny and Detroit.

As long as kronwall doesn't think he's Lids equal or will be at some point I can see him taking a long term deal like that. I'm thinking more closer to 5mil cap hit but even that is good.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

As long as kronwall doesn't think he's Lids equal or will be at some point I can see him taking a long term deal like that. I'm think more closer to 5mil cap hit but even that is good.

I completely agree, which is why I'd be floored if he signed for an "Ehrhoff" contract.

As long as Ilitch doesn't mind dropping the big coin the first two years (something he's never seemed to have a problem with), this potential deal is nothing but a major win for Kenny and Detroit.

Agreed. And it seems like he will have to frontload fairly high given what other guys are signing for, and also so it looks fair relative to Ericsson's deal.

As long as kronwall doesn't think he's Lids equal or will be at some point I can see him taking a long term deal like that. I'm thinking more closer to 5mil cap hit but even that is good.

Even if he were to make more than Lids, that doesn't mean he thinks he's Lidstrom's equal. At 30 Kronwall is fairly young, and the very fact that Lidstrom will be retiring soon makes him more valuable and will drive up the price of his contract. That's a giant hole in the lineup to fill, and while no one can do it completely, Kronner is the one currently on the Wings able to pick up the most slack.

Hypothetical 7 year deal:

Year by year salary = [$6M $6M $6M $6M $4M $4M $4M]

Cap Hit = $5.1429M

Hypothetical 10 year deal:

Year by year salary = [$6M $7M $7M $6.5M $5M $4.25M $3.75M $1M $1M $1M]

Cap Hit = $4.25M

Do you think these are fair?

Edited by Nevermind

Cap Hit = $5.1429M

Cap Hit = $4.25M

The way he hits and the injurys he has gotten i would love for the smaller one. I'm betting that's gonna be close to what he does.

He is gonna get paid for sure. I'd love to see him and Stuart around the same pay, then leave lots of cash for the Weber/Suter sweepstakes...

oh%20no...%20not%20this%shit%20again.jpg

It would be amazing if Holland can work and Erhoff type of deal. Kronwall is a much better and complete player than him, though, which would shock me even more if he ends up with less than 5mil a season. But the comment from Kronner's camp that he wants a front loaded deal means it's going to be a long cotract with a lower than average cap hit. Good job Kronwall!!!

Cap Hit = $5.1429M

Cap Hit = $4.25M

You mean the first few years he'll have "bonuses" since there is a new rule about the first year and last year difference of a players salary.

Personally I wouldn't give out a contract that had more than five years on it. With a new CBA coming around you never know what type of new rule they put in place to make those long contracts undesirable.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Cap Hit = $5.1429M

Cap Hit = $4.25M

You can't go from 3.75 to 1. It has to be half.

I'm also confused as to why he gets 6 the first year and 7 after that. Is it because we hope Lids will be around next year? Or that he will be adjusting to live without Lids? Or to keep Lids as the highest-paid player should he play another season?

I realize that I'm totally biased here, but given that he's age 30, I would like to see the 10-year deal, front-loaded. I don't think he's injury-prone per se. His injuries have been different and often flukey. I do think that all of those hits will become painful once he gets older. There's a reason that Lidstrom is still on the ice at his age. He doesn't give or take a lot of hits. He plays with his brain, which is a lot less painful.

Really, though (and I did admit that I am biased) I'll be happy with anything that keeps him on the Wings.

You can't go from 3.75 to 1. It has to be half.

It's half of the lowest of the first two years of the contract - so in this case, it can drop by as much as $3m a year.

Probably will all change after this season :)