• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
FireCaptain

Illitch News and Notes

Rate this topic

http://detnews.com/article/20110930/SPORTS0104/109300378/1128/rss16

Arena?

Q . Any updates on replacing Joe Louis Arena?

A . Like I've stated before, we're gonna have a new arena. That's the best thing I can say.

Eastern Conference move?

Q . OK, once and for all, are you gonna get the Wings out of the Western Conference or not?

A . The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.

A couple other little items, but these two sound very promising!

Unfortunately, I've seen interviews with Bettman where he has denied ever promising anyone a move to the Eastern conference, and I'm not sure a verbal "promise" to Jimmy D will hold up too long.

Ultimately, Bettman will probably realign the divisions in accordance with what's best for the overall NHL, not just one team who has been hoping to move for a while.

I'd love to be in the East, but in the scheme of things it really does make more sense for certain other teams to go east over us. Just my two cents, not trying to rain on any parades.

I'm selfishly against this because it would ruin my 2 trips to Dallas every season. It would be nice to get rid of those West coast start times though. That double, or was it triple, OT in Anaheim in 09 was brutal.

Edited by rrasco

Rule #1: Bettman lies.

Ain't happening, no matter what Illitch says.

Rule #2: It's the Board of Governors that has to approve any realignment plan, not the commish.

got-told-chart-225.jpg

It would be glorious to move to the East. Much better travel and much easier opponents.

I'm selfishly against this because it would ruin my 2 trips to Dallas every season. It would be nice to get rid of those West coast start times though. That double, or was it triple, OT in Anaheim in 09 was brutal.

That was a day game.

The one where Marchant scored in triple OT?

But yes, in general the multiple OT games on the West coast can be brutal, although they haven't happened in recent years.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Guest Heaten

Red Wings need to stay in the West where they belong. Eastern is a ******* joke... it's like the retarded school for the dumb kids.

Anything that doesn't involve both CBJ and Detroit to the east or a complete revamp so every team has equal travel will be a bust and unfair in my mind

Look, i realize that the Columbus GM and the Columbus front office has to do what they can to better their franchise, but I really just want to say the hell with Columbus. They are such a throw away franchise with no history, no fan base----> no national interest, nobody cares about the Columbus Blue Jackets. Why they even exist is bewilderment enough. But it is very very funny to me to know that despite all of that, Columbus will have just as good (if not better?) a chance to move East as the Wings. Logistically....it makes sense. Logically.....it doesn't.

To me Nashville shouldnt even be part of the discussion. Theyre in the central time zone and should play against as many teams as possible in their time zone. It has to be between Detroit and Columbus and I have been crying for the Wings to switch Conferences for about 20 years now.

That was a day game.

The one where Marchant scored in triple OT?

But yes, in general the multiple OT games on the West coast can be brutal, although they haven't happened in recent years.

Even as an extension to this, when we play tough teams on the West coast in the playoffs (in recent years at least) we seemingly lose any chance at a cup with a combination of the opponent being strong and cross country travel.

'07: tough San Jose team followed by equally as strong Anaheim

'09: tough Anaheim team

'10: San Jose

'11: San Jose

the East has their share of scary teams no doubt, but one can only imagine if the travel factor was taken out of the Red Wings playoff runs....

To be fair the travel factor is also a benefit at home ice for team's coming from the west to Detroit.

Yeah that's true. But I'm more or less talking about combined travel. I'm willing to bet that the Wings travel more during the playoffs than Vancouver will (disregarding this year of course because they played two central teams) or San Jose or Anaheim will. It's like if the Wings get past their Pacific division foe there is another Pacific division or Northwest division team waiting for them.

Take this year for example: Phoenix---->San Jose--->and then would have been Vancouver

That kind of travel just doesn't seem fair.......

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Even as an extension to this, when we play tough teams on the West coast in the playoffs (in recent years at least) we seemingly lose any chance at a cup with a combination of the opponent being strong and cross country travel.

'07: tough San Jose team followed by equally as strong Anaheim

'09: tough Anaheim team

'10: San Jose

'11: San Jose

the East has their share of scary teams no doubt, but one can only imagine if the travel factor was taken out of the Red Wings playoff runs....

We wouldn't have it easy in the East either.

Teams like the Flyers and Bruins are poor matchup for the Wings, while Washington and Pittsburgh would certainly be tough opponents and long series.

Montreal, New York and Buffalo would be much like Edmonton/Calgary/Anaheim were to us. Average teams with great goalies who can steal a playoff series from the logo-hunting Wings.

Yes, the travel would be lighter, but the matchups would present their own issues.

We wouldn't have it easy in the East either.

Teams like the Flyers and Bruins are poor matchup for the Wings, while Washington and Pittsburgh would certainly be tough opponents and long series.

Montreal, New York and Buffalo would be much like Edmonton/Calgary/Anaheim were to us. Average teams with great goalies who can steal a playoff series from the logo-hunting Wings.

Yes, the travel would be lighter, but the matchups would present their own issues.

Oh i completely agree, the matchups are unique in their own ways. My point is that the travel we make only compounds playing a tough team in the West. Playing in the East, we AT LEAST benefit from not changing through three time zones. I'm in no way refering to East teams as easier opponents.

Look, i realize that the Columbus GM and the Columbus front office has to do what they can to better their franchise, but I really just want to say the hell with Columbus. They are such a throw away franchise with no history, no fan base----> no national interest, nobody cares about the Columbus Blue Jackets. Why they even exist is bewilderment enough. But it is very very funny to me to know that despite all of that, Columbus will have just as good (if not better?) a chance to move East as the Wings. Logistically....it makes sense. Logically.....it doesn't.

I will never disagree with you on that point, but I'm just saying from an overall league stand point. If both Cbj and Detroit aren't moved your leaving just 1 team in the west on EST which is stupid. Move them both and run 16, 14. It's the easiest fairest way to solve it. If you most just CBJ you have everyone saying Detroit should have been moved, they put there time in and they are original 6 and were told they were promised to be moved. If Detroit moves then it's the whole CBJ is "further east", and all that crap.

Just move both and end the discussion, unless they want to do a total revamp where teams in the East are traveling just as much as teams in the Central, mountain, pacific time zones. Best idea but A lot more work and could destroy teams like Florida...

I will never disagree with you on that point, but I'm just saying from an overall league stand point. If both Cbj and Detroit aren't moved your leaving just 1 team in the west on EST which is stupid. Move them both and run 16, 14. It's the easiest fairest way to solve it. If you most just CBJ you have everyone saying Detroit should have been moved, they put there time in and they are original 6 and were told they were promised to be moved. If Detroit moves then it's the whole CBJ is "further east", and all that crap.

Just move both and end the discussion, unless they want to do a total revamp where teams in the East are traveling just as much as teams in the Central, mountain, pacific time zones. Best idea but A lot more work and could destroy teams like Florida...

Your idea makes the most sense for the league if they don't consider vast realignment. That way they give everyone what they want. It will be tough to take Detroit over Columbus (even though it shouldn't be) and taking Columbus over Detroit would bring outrage.

As far as Columbus being farther east than Detroit: although it is a fact, people who use that neglible arguement would be grasping for straws...

Here an idea, have 4 divisions. Each team plays a home and home vs every other team. Remaining games are vs teams in their division.

Top 4 teams from each division enters playoffs.

So simple.

1 western road trip for US teams, 1 Western Road trip for Canadian teams.

But that is just crazy talk. Which they are considering that I linked before in another thread. I also made a graphic of the divisions.

Yeah that's true. But I'm more or less talking about combined travel. I'm willing to bet that the Wings travel more during the playoffs than Vancouver will (disregarding this year of course because they played two central teams) or San Jose or Anaheim will. It's like if the Wings get past their Pacific division foe there is another Pacific division or Northwest division team waiting for them.

Take this year for example: Phoenix---->San Jose--->and then would have been Vancouver

That kind of travel just doesn't seem fair.......

It's not that it's not fair, it's that it's not logical to have an eastern times zone team playing in the West.