47 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

http://detnews.com/a...ve-a-new-arena’

If it is named "Amway" anything, i'm gonna cry....

LOL, IGNORE THIS AND LABEL ME A "DOUBLE POSTER"

#2 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Q . OK, once and for all, are you gonna get the Wings out of the Western Conference or not?

A . The commissioner (Gary Bettman) promised me I was next. We even had a meeting over lunch this past season, and he had all his people here, and he goes, 'Yeah, I promised Mike he'd be the next one to go in the Eastern Conference.' So I expect to be in next year. Jimmy D (Devellano) is on the phone every other week reminding them.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...’#ixzz1ZRnS0Aqs

:thumbup:
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#3 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

Please no Amway Arena :ranting:

#4 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

I'll miss the Joe but thank god we're getting a new arena. The Joe is simply getting too old and isn't nearly as modern as other major rinks. As one of the biggest and most respected teams in the league we deserve a top quality arena to play in.

#5 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

I'll miss the Joe but thank god we're getting a new arena. The Joe is simply getting too old and isn't nearly as modern as other major rinks. As one of the biggest and most respected teams in the league we deserve a top quality arena to play in.

Definitely, I will miss the memories for sure but what I really miss are the teams that played there, not the building itself. When they closed Tiger Stadium a bunch of people were upset they didn't just renovate it, but now ten years out I doubt anybody would really prefer watching a game there behind the poles (and pissing in the troughs) than at Comerica. I love the Joe, but its time has unfortunately come.

#6 bentcobra

bentcobra

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

New Arena will probably most def be called Amway arena :< and anyone who has had a new arena built in their town knows that inevitably tick prices will rise. However the cheap seats will most likely have a much better view than the ones at the Joe. I just hope that the standing room is organized in the same manner. I have used standing room at the joe many times and it is the best!

#7 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

No arena in the NHL has better sight lines than the Joe. Just ask the Sharks fans - there is an actual rule that you can't lean forward because you'll block others sight. A new arena will not be as good because of the suites. Cheap seats will suffer. Bank on it.
So the Joe is not as sparkly as other arenas - I go there to watch a game, not shop or "dine" or be seen, and the Joe is the best place for that.
Americans have no respect for history. Tiger Stadium, the oldest open-air park in the world, was left to molder and eventually be torn down. I think that's just pitiful. What if Italians just tore down the Coliseum or the Sistine Chapel because they were too old? No one back then thought they'd be standing thousands of years later. Not that I think the Joe is on par with these treasures, but it really is a monument to great planning. I'll take the run-down Joe with it's gray columns and outhouses in the smoking area over a brand-new, sparkly testament to bigger, better, faster any day.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#8 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

I'll be in the minority when I also say I don't want a new arena for the Red Wings, they do deserve one though. But the Joe reeks and oozes old school hockey and hockey in general. From peeing in a tub down to the claustrophobic seats. I was at game 6 (vs the sharks) last year and I can guranatee a new arena would not have been as loud as the Joe was that game. By far the most outrageous, insane, fun, mind numbing, voice losing game I've been to. Roof was shaking it was so loud. I don't give a s*** who you are at the Joe, if you're around me you're getting a high five. And that's exactly what I want, a close experience with other fans that share a love for a game only hockey fans can know.

The Joe provides all of this

Edited by dallas27, 01 October 2011 - 12:44 PM.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#9 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

Just so you know, The Joe is the way to go.

#10 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

At this point I am praying for Little Ceasers Pavilion/Palace over the dreaded Amway Arena.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#11 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Anyone wanna help me start a money pool to buy naming rights to a new arena and call it the Let's Go Wings Icehouse?

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#12 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:39 AM

I'll be in the minority when I also say I don't want a new arena for the Red Wings, they do deserve one though. But the Joe reeks and oozes old school hockey and hockey in general. From peeing in a tub down to the claustrophobic seats. I was at game 6 (vs the sharks) last year and I can guranatee a new arena would not have been as loud as the Joe was that game. By far the most outrageous, insane, fun, mind numbing, voice losing game I've been to. Roof was shaking it was so loud. I don't give a s*** who you are at the Joe, if you're around me you're getting a high five. And that's exactly what I want, a close experience with other fans that share a love for a game only hockey fans can know.

The Joe provides all of this

I agree the Joe is an amazing rink. Just it's starting to get so old renovating it won't really help anything. I'll hate to lose such a classic rink, but the Wings deserve a better one, like you said. Hopefully they will go for an old school feel and not try to super modernize it.

No arena in the NHL has better sight lines than the Joe

I completely agree with this.

Edited by RedBengals, 02 October 2011 - 06:39 AM.

#13 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:54 AM

http://www.letsgowin...news-and-notes/
Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#14 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

I'm not done with the Joe. That place is awesome. If we get some fancy upper bowl/lower bowl set-up with all kinds of bells and whistles, it just wouldn't be the same.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#15 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

Things around downtown/midtown are looking better. Occupancy for rentals (Condo's/apartments) are at 90%-95%. A couple suburban companies have moved downtown over the years. If Chrysler, Ford, The GM Tech Center and Nissan Tech center would move downtown, I think things would pick up in-sense for a new arena getting developed fast with all that tax base money.
FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#16 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

Gordie Howe Arena... Please.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#17 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

As long as it's something new that's gonna be great. I have a lot of Love for the Joe but the Wings definetly need a new Arena and I can't wait to see how it looks and what they will name it. Nothing Amway or anything like that but something that would fit with the Wings or the city of Detroit!!

#18 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

I can see both sides of the argument.

In terms of most arenas today, JLA is outdated. Speaking on that alone on it not being as modern, I'm not trying to make it sound like that is bad or sound snobby.

I went to a few Dallas Stars games when I was in college in the area in the late 90s/early 2000s before they moved into American Airlines Arena. Like JLA, Reunion Arena was as basic as it got, a basic bowl shape with two levels and just one concourse. If you could put up with it, games and atmoshperes in such arenas can be so much fun because everything is so compact and get loud quick. I enjoyed watching games in there, and a few games I have been able to see in JLA as well.

Wouldn't mind if they stayed at JLA for the nostagila and history, but won't be shocked if/when they move in a new arena.

#19 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

The HoweYzermanLidstrom Arena.

Although these days I suppose I'd settle for Little Caeser's Palace.

#20 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

Howe Hall in Hockeytown.