• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

I've seen this said many times on these boards over the past couple weeks, but I don't see how it's tarnished the Wings. It's really no different then any other power play sponsorship things they announced every PP, or PK or any other ads on the board.

I think the issue people have with the amway is how they force their logos onto everything, practice jerseys, the background used for mid game interviews (struggling to find a pic of it), and the other 100 places its plastered. Its one thing to support and sponsor the team, but dont put the logo everywhere. I understand that they pay for it, and its business and whatever, but leave the team some dignity. It actually reminds me of brawno from the movie idiocracy how they just own everything and plaster their logo every where.

Back to the whole location dispute, one problem i have with corktown is the shape michigan ave is in, they would have to fix it. the problem with that is they still use the old style brick road which is bad ass, but would be expensive to fix. it would def help out the area though. another selfish issue i have is that nemos would become the spot to go being its right there, but i would like to keep it my little, well known, secret.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#42 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

I think the issue people have with the amway is how they force their logos onto everything, practice jerseys, the background used for mid game interviews (struggling to find a pic of it), and the other 100 places its plastered. Its one thing to support and sponsor the team, but dont put the logo everywhere. I understand that they pay for it, and its business and whatever, but leave the team some dignity. It actually reminds me of brawno from the movie idiocracy how they just own everything and plaster their logo every where.

Back to the whole location dispute, one problem i have with corktown is the shape michigan ave is in, they would have to fix it. the problem with that is they still use the old style brick road which is bad ass, but would be expensive to fix. it would def help out the area though. another selfish issue i have is that nemos would become the spot to go being its right there, but i would like to keep it my little, well known, secret.

Another example of the ridiculous amount of Amway sponsorship: everytime a game is announced on the radio in Detroit it's "Red Wings vs Senators Friday, presented by Amway". Its like every time someone mentions or shows the winged wheel, they gotta throw Amway into it. I believe the press release for this sponsorship deal even admitted to that. Something like "the Amway logo will be almost as prominent as the Winged Wheel." A bit excessive if you ask me. Add to that the fact that the company is very shady, and basically a pyramid scheme, that's a formula for a lot of unhappy fans.

Back on topic, I do agree that space would probably be limited in Corktown, but I don't think it would be too much trouble to reroute a small stretch of Michigan Ave, even if it is cobblestone. I actually just drove past there during my lunch today, and it would definitely be perfect from on Illich perspective. MCC would be right across the freeway from the arena.

I need to get to Nemo's before a game sometime. I keep hearing about how great it is, but haven't made it yet. The Old Shillelagh has been my pregame watering hole of choice lately.

#43 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

How about Ceasers palace oops already taken

#44 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

I went to a preseason game a couple of weeks ago, and the first place i noticed that stupid Amway logo was on the scoreboard. On the bottom two corners of each of the four faces of the scoreboard there has always been a Wings logo with a red backdrop. Well these have been replaced with Amway logos......

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 07 October 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#45 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Having "grown up", (I use that term loosely), at The Olympia, I'm still not used to The Joe. If anyone ever remembers going to Vipers games at The Palace, you will remember how bad that arena was for hockey. If you get up above the second set of boxes, bring your binoculars. That is what all the new multi-use arenas are like. I've been to just about every barn in the NHL, and very few can compete with the feeling of being close to the game like The Joe.

I know that Mr. I wants to build a new arena, but I know he doesn't want to pay for it all himself. It's going to come down to the city financing a good deal of it. Something they don't have the funds for right now. I almost think that it would be cheaper, and easier to do small renovations like expanding the concourse, and adding more bathrooms and vending booths, which I really don't think would be too costly of renovations, when you look at what the big picture.

I really believe that Mr. I's desire to build a new arena now has more to do with him wanting to see his finished product, which will be a part of his legacy before his days are up. If you've seen him lately, he's not getting g any younger. I hope if he does find a way to build new, that they at least try to draw inspiration from the past. Though it's not 100% perfect for todays discerning fans, Shultze's(?) Design, to me, is a good step in the right diirection.

#46 ztro4

ztro4

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

I am going to miss the Joe 100%. I have been to a lot of arenas and the amount you spend for upper bowl in one of the new flashy arenas you are miles away from the action. Nothing can beat the value of the Upper Bowl Seats at the Joe and still being close to the action. If they somehow found a way to keep the suites at the top of the arena, I would be a lot more welcoming to the idea.

#47 Bambino Lino

Bambino Lino

Draftee

• 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:07 AM

another selfish issue i have is that nemos would become the spot to go being its right there, but i would like to keep it my little, well known, secret.

I used to feel the same way about Nemo's but I don't think it's anyone's secret anymore. It's always packed for any Red Wings, Tigers or Lions game. It's pretty often that I see a friend of mine there who I had no idea even knew about the place.

Anyway, I'm totally against a new arena! Like many others have pointed out, it would mainly benefit those who have a ton of money to blow and would keep the true hockey fans in the dark. Also, it would be too weird for to watch the Wings play anywhere but The Joe. The smell of that place, the moments that have happened there, Budd Lynch, the banners, the pathetic restrooms, the steps to get inside.. it's the embodiment of the greatest hockey city in America. Sure, it's not the nicest arena in the world but it's not like the roof is caving in. I'm not ready to give up The Joe just yet.

By the way, there's already an Amway Arena in Orlando, FL.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's about to be demolished. Ugh, I hope Ilitch doesn't go with Amway. We should already expect him to not keep his word if he says anything about not giving the new Red Wings arena a corporate name, as he said the same thing about the new Tigers stadium.

#48 barnztormre

barnztormre

Polo: the ORIGINAL little ball of hate

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

By the way, there's already an Amway Arena in Orlando, FL.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's about to be demolished.

It was the home of the Orlando Magic, who now play in the Amway Center. Granted it's a much nicer Arena but the "old" arena was younger than the Palace and not a bad place to watch hoops. There was no need for a new one, just "keeping up with the Joneses".

The new Wings arena MUST be named Olympia. I wish I could find a million Wings fans willing to pony up $5 so THE PEOPLE could buy the naming rights.
“I’m goofy crazy about this sport called hockey” - Gordie Howe