• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brendan Smith suspended for 5 games

Rate this topic

I know Shanny is going to do a good job and he seems to be consistent with his rulings so far which is what we all really want. I'm all for getting head shots, dirty hits, and concussions out of the game..hell guys are falling like flies and arguably the best player in the worlds future is up in the air as to whether he will be ever be right again but my simple point is this.....What is going on with the sport I love if I hear the leagues disciplinarian's name more than I hear the names of the games stars like OV, Stamkos, Datsyuk..etc...

I think maybe the rest of preseason would be fair, but it was a clear accident, and it was pretty much the other players fault, he was trying to make a good hit. NHL 5 years down the road will be more like the MLS. Im a hockey purist, and 2 me 2 many changes kinda just ruins the game. not to say stuff shouldnt be tweaked, and obvious elbows 2 the head should be penalized, smith should have just had to stand up 2 a tough guy, but nooooooo the instigator rule favors the people who make bad hits, not 2 say his was completely bad, but it was very questionable.

silly

Well what can you do? I'm just glad it wasn't any of the regular roster players. Just like many others I'm curious how this punishment works as he's mainly an AHL player this season. Can he serve the ban in the AHL and if it isn't possible then does a suspended player still take one of the available 23 roster spots? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to search this from the NHL rule book.)

This pretty much sends a zero tolerance message in regards to head shots & in my opinion, also sends the message that the player who gets hit is not expected to take some responsibility for putting himself in a position to take a dangerous hit i.e. Ben Smith trying to make a last minute move & changing the angle of the hit from shoulder-on-shoulder to shoulder-on-chin. If that's the message the league wants to send, fine. But if there's a similar situation down the road, whether this season or not, they better be consistent. Your move Shanny. We'll be watching to see if you turn into Colin Campbell 2.0.

serious hate comming down on shanny on twitter. this is silly, ben smith should get suspended for headbutting smiths shoulder. this is just so stupid. if ur heads down thats what u get! if the guy uses his shoulder it is a clean hit 99 percent of the time. im just distraught

NHL your ******* out! all of you

Kenny-Powers_Mock-Up_thumb.jpg

Edited by wings1110

serious hate comming down on shanny on twitter. this is silly, ben smith should get suspended for headbutting smiths shoulder. this is just so stupid. if ur heads down thats what u get! if the guy uses his shoulder it is a clean hit 99 percent of the time. im just distraught

The message is simple, the onus is on the player doing the hitting to either pull up or avoid the head. Hit a player in the head, you get suspended.

Well what can you do? I'm just glad it wasn't any of the regular roster players. Just like many others I'm curious how this punishment works as he's mainly an AHL player this season. Can he serve the ban in the AHL and if it isn't possible then does a suspended player still take one of the available 23 roster spots? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to search this from the NHL rule book.)

He has to be on the Wings roster to have the games come off his suspension. Usually, the AHL does not recognize NHL suspensions, except in severe circumstances.

It's actually up to the president of the AHL if Smith can serve his time at the AHL level.

It's up to him if they let him play during his suspension, but he has to be on an NHL roster for the games to come off his suspension. The AHL generally allows players to play when they are suspended in the NHL, only when it's a major suspension do they make the player sit.

All the AHL can do is issue a suspension of their own which does NOT affect the NHL suspension that he has to serve while on the NHL roster.

The Flyers had to do that with one of their boneheads a few years ago. They had to call him up before every game and then send him down immediately afterwards in order to take games off his suspension while he played in the AHL.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Wow. I was thinking rest of preseason and a couple regular season games.

This is a young player who made a bad decision and threw a high risk hit. Not a repeat offender in the NHL, and obviously still learning to play at this level. I love what Shanny is doing overall but this seems a bit harsh. It's not like Brendan was headhunting out there.

The bummer here for me is that regardless of the number of games, he's now seen as a repeat offender in future situations.

It's an 18 month window. If he keeps his nose clean for 18 months then he won't be considered a repeat offender anymore. Not really sure how the logistics work being that he is an AHLer, though.

e. Status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every eighteen months. For example, where a player is suspended for the first time, he is a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen months of the first incident. If he is not suspended a second time within this eighteen month period, he is no longer a repeat offender for disciplinary purposes.

http://www.nhlfa.com...agreement39.asp

I think you have your percentage wrong. If a guy hits a another player in the head with is shoulder, it is a clean hit maybe 1% of the time.

I think a lot of people are correct in assessing Ben Smith as having some responsibility here and the fact that he did move a little bit. I think that probably factored into the rationale for the suspension. Without that, you are probably looking at a really long one. Try to do your best to assume this was Cooke that threw that hit and then give me your reaction.