• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Brendan Smith suspended for 5 games

Rate this topic

serious hate comming down on shanny on twitter. this is silly, ben smith should get suspended for headbutting smiths shoulder. this is just so stupid. if ur heads down thats what u get! if the guy uses his shoulder it is a clean hit 99 percent of the time. im just distraught

Ben didn't headbutt his shoulder. Brendan threw a high risk hit and missed, only clipping the head. Now he's getting punished for it.

Here's the way it should be done.

compared to the wrong way.

Vladdy takes a better angle and is coming in low for the hip check. He's got his body lined up properly with Lemieux's, so even when Turtle tries to avoid the hit, Konstantinov makes solid contact with him.

Brendan came east west and was going to miss, so he threw a shoulder, which has an extremely high chance of clipping a guy in the head. Ben Smith didn't have his head extraordinarily low. It was where most guy's would be when they're carrying the puck.

I think the suspension is too long, but this was not Ben Smith's fault because of a toe drag move or having his head too low.

It's an 18 month window. If he keeps his nose clean for 18 months then he won't be considered a repeat offender anymore. Not really sure how the logistics work being that he is an AHLer, though.

http://www.nhlfa.com...agreement39.asp

After 18 months, a player's repeat-offender category, which is used for calculation of a fine, resets. But as far as a player's historical incidents, they all still can come into the judgment and they always have.

I see a distinction between a repeat offender and someone who has a history of violent infractions. For instance, when a player's in that 18-month category, instead of being susceptible for the loss of 1/185th of his pay, it sets down to 1/82nd of his pay. After 18 months of no incidents, it resets.

General managers, owners and players would come up to me at various times in the offseason and say, 'The guys who do this over and over and over again are the ones really risking our health and our careers.'

We do our best in each video to explain the ruling: Here's why this one is big, and why this one is not big. I still believe in one or two-game suspensions when the situations warrant it.

Shanahan has said he will take all suspensions into account, the 18 month window is really only for the CBA and how much salary you lose.

A game or two higher then I thought but not bad. Shannys making sure people are paying attention thats for sure...How long until the Averys and Cookes are sticking there heads out on purpose during hits?

This. I am very in support of what Shanahan has done this preseason because it is setting his standard for the rest of the season and moving in the right direction for what the sport should be.

But there is always another side of thinking. People are always going to see plays differently (first thing that comes to mind is the Kronwall hit, I think CBS/Versus announcers even were split at the time), when can the line be drawn on subjectivity? There are definitely going to be times in the future when it's difficult to tell whose responsibility the hit is attributed to.

5 regular season games is what I figured. It could have gone anywhere up to 10 or so games and I would not have been too upset. I know Ben Smith was an idiot to toe drag at the last possible second, but hopefully next time Brendan puts himself in a better position where he wouldn't have to make a hit like that.

Edited by Konnan511

My worry is how these 5 games get served. Assuming they have to be served when he's on the NHL club's roster, this ruins Smith's chances as a call up this season, doesn't it?

If there's injuries to the defense and they need another body, I can't see Babcock calling up Smith only to have him sitting due to suspension. I'm hoping I'm not understanding the circumstances correctly, but if that's the case then 5 games is way too long. They just screwed this kid out of playing in the NHL at all this year.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

My worry is how these 5 games get served. Assuming they have to be served when he's on the NHL club's roster, this ruins Smith's chances as a call up this season, doesn't it?

If there's injuries to the defense and they need another body, I can't see Babcock calling up Smith only to have him sitting due to suspension. I'm hoping I'm not understanding the circumstances correctly, but if that's the case then 5 games is way too long. They just screwed this kid out of playing in the NHL at all this year.

He has to be on the NHL roster for the suspension to to be served.

Vladdy takes a better angle and is coming in low for the hip check. He's got his body lined up properly with Lemieux's, so even when Turtle tries to avoid the hit, Konstantinov makes solid contact with him.

Brendan came east west and was going to miss, so he threw a shoulder, which has an extremely high chance of clipping a guy in the head. Ben Smith didn't have his head extraordinarily low. It was where most guy's would be when they're carrying the puck.

Wow. I've actually been thinking about that Konstantinov hit too, but not enough to search it out. Amazing how similar the two forwards' actions are with the little moves in the end to try to avoid the closing defenseman. It's almost like from a school book of hockey defenseman: the right way and the wrong way to hit. Brendan Smith's timing was off while Vladdy's was perfect. Not fair for Smith though. He's still a kid while Konstantinov was a genius and a natural talent.

Ben didn't headbutt his shoulder. Brendan threw a high risk hit and missed, only clipping the head. Now he's getting punished for it.

This hit gives me chills everytime i see it. :yowza:

I can see it now... come postseason guys who are not top 6 forwards sticking their heads out to take hits to get star players suspended. We all know its going to happen.

To me ben smith really didn't move his head just so it could get hit. I think if players start doing that shanny and company will be able to tell for sure on those.

Wow. I've actually been thinking about that Konstantinov hit too, but not enough to search it out. Amazing how similar the two forwards' actions are with the little moves in the end to try to avoid the closing defenseman. It's almost like from a school book of hockey defenseman: the right way and the wrong way to hit. Brendan Smith's timing was off while Vladdy's was perfect. Not fair for Smith though. He's still a kid while Konstantinov was a genius and a natural talent.

I couldn't believe how similar the two hits were when I saw them.

I'm not knocking Smith for not being able to hit like Vladdy, but that's kind of the point. You've got to get it exactly right to pull of something like that. It is a prime example of how the hit should be thrown, and why Brendan's was high risk and incorrect. If Vladdy had missed, he never would've come near Lemieux's head.

Plus Claude could have just retracted it into his shell.

I can see it now... come postseason guys who are not top 6 forwards sticking their heads out to take hits to get star players suspended. We all know its going to happen.

Or maybe, guys will learn the right way and wrong way to play defense and how positioning plays a huge part in their game! A perfect example was posted above me.

Brendan threw a good hit, he missed. The ref's calling on the hit was decent, I guess. Match penalty is a bit much I think, but without the slow motion it's a hard call to say it wasn't intentional. WITH the slomo, it's clearly a standard high check that he didn't perfectly sink into the guy's chest. A short suspension now is alright, I suppose, but repeat offender status isn't really fair.

Beyond all that though: Ben PUT HIS HEAD DOWN on that toe drag. I played hockey from mini-mite through high school, and that is the one thing you're taught never to do. Especially on a 1v1 like that. If you put your head down you're asking to be crushed. Ben didn't see the hit because he was staring at the ice, and the way he was bent forward what would have been a clean hit was high.

Shanny is dropping the hammer now to set up precedent for the season for when actually dirty stuff happens, the short suspension is just because he doesn't want to seem to favor the Wings. But still, it was clearly unintentional head contact and was due to Ben lowering his head on that toe-drag. He should have kept his head up just like every hockey player is supposed to. A head contact penalty should have been the end of it. Props to Shanny for doing his job, but only a flagrant hit should be a suspension. A penalty is enough for something like this.

I'm not sold on those situations being too similar. Brendan Smith is no Vladdy. And Ben Smith is no Claude.

Also, how is a 6 foot 2 defensemen supposed to get low enough on a 5 foot 10 inch forward to upend him like that?

Smith didn't really play it that wrong, it was an unfortunate incident, but Ben Smith put himself in the position for his head to get hit, instead of just taking the initial check which would have been body on body.

I always enjoy that video, though. :thumbup:

I'm not sold on those situations being too similar. Brendan Smith is no Vladdy. And Ben Smith is no Claude.

Also, how is a 6 foot 2 defensemen supposed to get low enough on a 5 foot 10 inch forward to upend him like that?

Smith didn't really play it that wrong, it was an unfortunate incident, but Ben Smith put himself in the position for his head to get hit, instead of just taking the initial check which would have been body on body.

Not necessarily to upend in a similar way, but the important thing is that Brendan was too far ahead while Vladdy positioned himself more on the side. When Ben Smith backed down only part of him Brendan could hit was his head. When Lemieux backed down he still ran into Vladdy's butt cause Vladdy made himself huge there.

Edited by P. Marlowe

I don't know if it's just my hillbilly eyes or what but i'm just not really seeing how it's Ben Smiths fault. much as i love my wings and Brendan...i just don't see it. 6'2 - 5'10 is not that far off from each other. If Brendan can't get down low enough to make a cleaner check and to make sure it doesn't hit Ben's head then he has some serious back issues. But thats just what I see and think. I may be totally wrong.

I agree. However, there are no defenders in this league who could hit like that. What can you say if NHL best def is Pronger? Smith's hit is right within Pronger's play-offs physics - you're small I'm begger so I hit you to the head.

Honestly, being as unbiased as possible, I can't believe he was given 5 games. I think that is very severe for what transpired. When comparing Smith's hit to Wisniewski's where Wiz:

1. late hit compared to buzzer

2. no change in point of contact immediately prior to contact

3. direct contact with his elbow

4. multiple repeat offender

I cannot believe Wisniewski gets 8 and Smith gets 5 (we're talking regular season games because the pre-season, based on how much they'd dress, is negligible). Hopefully the video explanation is sufficient and maybe I just disagree with some of what he'll say in terms of interpreting the hit.

Smith absolutely played that wrong. Even without the head contact, it was an all or nothing defensive move, with the much greater chance of getting nothing and leaving Ben in for a clean breakaway.

It doesn't matter that he's 6'2". Rob Blake is 6'3" and threw devastating hip checks. They just have to be done properly.

But when you line a guy up at that severe an angle, there's a high potential you'll miss. And if you throw a shoulder to try and catch some of him, there's a high potential you'll clip him in the head.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

the hit was very unfortunate on both parts. Brendan couldnt predict what move Ben was going to make as he lined him up and Ben also made the cardinal sin on the move. When I started to play, my coach's last words as I stepped onto the ice for my first shift,"keep your head up" still ring in my ears today. Maybe with all the rule changes players are becoming less accountable for their own well being whilst on the ice. This is what Babs was trying to say when asked about the incident. I think Brendan will learn from this but also feel the suspension a little harsh as well. I hope the AHL boss will let him serve the suspension whilst in GR, as he'll not get called up if not.

I don't know if it's just my hillbilly eyes or what but i'm just not really seeing how it's Ben Smiths fault. much as i love my wings and Brendan...i just don't see it. 6'2 - 5'10 is not that far off from each other. If Brendan can't get down low enough to make a cleaner check and to make sure it doesn't hit Ben's head then he has some serious back issues. But thats just what I see and think. I may be totally wrong.

I was comparing it to Vladdy's hipcheck, I never said Brendan couldn't get lower in general.

I just said that comparing it to the Vladdy hit was a little irrelevant because it would be physically impossible for Brendan to get THAT low on a person who is 5 foot 10.

I was expecting 5 games. Not because the hit was THAT bad, but Smith is a low impact player who can be suspended to prove a point. If suspending Smith for 5 games gets the point across to other players then I guess that's what has to be done.

Also, it should be noted, from what I read on Twitter, Smith has been assigned to GR and will play there because the Wings want to go with 7D. If anyone on D get's put on the IR then Smith will probably get called up to burn off his suspension.

Oh how have times have changed..it used to be the responsibility of the player to skate with his head up or you got crushed Scott Stevens style..how you can beat the s*** out of the puck, skate with your head down, do fancy toe drags, pay the price for it and the other dude gets 5 games. Like i said before I'm all for getting the cheap hits out of the game but this sport was built on speed, having your wits, keeping your head up and good clean aggression..clearly its changing.

I wasn't quite sure what to think, but the Puck Daddy article on the hit puts it very eloquently:

On Wednesday, after the hit and before the ruling, Shanahan re-released the player safety video he and Mathieu Schneider hosted that that given to the players during camp. It explicitly points out the "right" way to hit in the NHL in 2011: Without the head being the principle point of contact, going to the body first.

This wasn't a coincidence. Neither was a 5-game suspension to a guy who hasn't seen a second of NHL ice time yet.

The days of hits to the head — be it head-hunting or just a way to separate man from puck — are done. Watching a Scott Stevens highlight reel will be like peeking into an alternate timeline for the NHL; it's a world that doesn't exist any longer, for better or worse.

cant fault ben smith for the drag, if he pulled it a split second sooner he woulda been all alone. cant say brendan smith hit him in the head intentionally. he was aiming for a big shoulder to shoulder hit and when ben dragged it he pulled his shoulders back leaving his head there.

It was just an unfortunate play if anything brendan will learn from it and be in better position next time