• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#21 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

A game or two higher then I thought but not bad. Shannys making sure people are paying attention thats for sure...How long until the Averys and Cookes are sticking there heads out on purpose during hits?

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#22 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

serious hate comming down on shanny on twitter. this is silly, ben smith should get suspended for headbutting smiths shoulder. this is just so stupid. if ur heads down thats what u get! if the guy uses his shoulder it is a clean hit 99 percent of the time. im just distraught

I think you have your percentage wrong. If a guy hits a another player in the head with is shoulder, it is a clean hit maybe 1% of the time.

I think a lot of people are correct in assessing Ben Smith as having some responsibility here and the fact that he did move a little bit. I think that probably factored into the rationale for the suspension. Without that, you are probably looking at a really long one. Try to do your best to assume this was Cooke that threw that hit and then give me your reaction.

#23 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

Did Shanny not take that idiotic toe drag into consideration at all?
Posted Image

#24 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Did Shanny not take that idiotic toe drag into consideration at all?

I would assume so, let's see what he has to say.

#25 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

The bummer here for me is that regardless of the number of games, he's now seen as a repeat offender in future situations.

Only if it's within 18 months of his next incident.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:52 AM

serious hate comming down on shanny on twitter. this is silly, ben smith should get suspended for headbutting smiths shoulder. this is just so stupid. if ur heads down thats what u get! if the guy uses his shoulder it is a clean hit 99 percent of the time. im just distraught

Ben didn't headbutt his shoulder. Brendan threw a high risk hit and missed, only clipping the head. Now he's getting punished for it.

Here's the way it should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA&feature=fvsr

compared to the wrong way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P2wTEidNEE

Vladdy takes a better angle and is coming in low for the hip check. He's got his body lined up properly with Lemieux's, so even when Turtle tries to avoid the hit, Konstantinov makes solid contact with him.

Brendan came east west and was going to miss, so he threw a shoulder, which has an extremely high chance of clipping a guy in the head. Ben Smith didn't have his head extraordinarily low. It was where most guy's would be when they're carrying the puck.

I think the suspension is too long, but this was not Ben Smith's fault because of a toe drag move or having his head too low.

#27 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

It's an 18 month window. If he keeps his nose clean for 18 months then he won't be considered a repeat offender anymore. Not really sure how the logistics work being that he is an AHLer, though.

http://www.nhlfa.com...agreement39.asp

After 18 months, a player's repeat-offender category, which is used for calculation of a fine, resets. But as far as a player's historical incidents, they all still can come into the judgment and they always have.

I see a distinction between a repeat offender and someone who has a history of violent infractions. For instance, when a player's in that 18-month category, instead of being susceptible for the loss of 1/185th of his pay, it sets down to 1/82nd of his pay. After 18 months of no incidents, it resets.

General managers, owners and players would come up to me at various times in the offseason and say, 'The guys who do this over and over and over again are the ones really risking our health and our careers.'

We do our best in each video to explain the ruling: Here's why this one is big, and why this one is not big. I still believe in one or two-game suspensions when the situations warrant it.

Shanahan has said he will take all suspensions into account, the 18 month window is really only for the CBA and how much salary you lose.

Posted Image

#28 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

A game or two higher then I thought but not bad. Shannys making sure people are paying attention thats for sure...How long until the Averys and Cookes are sticking there heads out on purpose during hits?

This. I am very in support of what Shanahan has done this preseason because it is setting his standard for the rest of the season and moving in the right direction for what the sport should be.
But there is always another side of thinking. People are always going to see plays differently (first thing that comes to mind is the Kronwall hit, I think CBS/Versus announcers even were split at the time), when can the line be drawn on subjectivity? There are definitely going to be times in the future when it's difficult to tell whose responsibility the hit is attributed to.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#29 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

5 regular season games is what I figured. It could have gone anywhere up to 10 or so games and I would not have been too upset. I know Ben Smith was an idiot to toe drag at the last possible second, but hopefully next time Brendan puts himself in a better position where he wouldn't have to make a hit like that.

Edited by Konnan511, 30 September 2011 - 10:55 AM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

My worry is how these 5 games get served. Assuming they have to be served when he's on the NHL club's roster, this ruins Smith's chances as a call up this season, doesn't it?

If there's injuries to the defense and they need another body, I can't see Babcock calling up Smith only to have him sitting due to suspension. I'm hoping I'm not understanding the circumstances correctly, but if that's the case then 5 games is way too long. They just screwed this kid out of playing in the NHL at all this year.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 30 September 2011 - 10:56 AM.

#31 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

My worry is how these 5 games get served. Assuming they have to be served when he's on the NHL club's roster, this ruins Smith's chances as a call up this season, doesn't it?

If there's injuries to the defense and they need another body, I can't see Babcock calling up Smith only to have him sitting due to suspension. I'm hoping I'm not understanding the circumstances correctly, but if that's the case then 5 games is way too long. They just screwed this kid out of playing in the NHL at all this year.

He has to be on the NHL roster for the suspension to to be served.

#32 korrowan

korrowan

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I can see it now... come postseason guys who are not top 6 forwards sticking their heads out to take hits to get star players suspended. We all know its going to happen.

#33 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

Vladdy takes a better angle and is coming in low for the hip check. He's got his body lined up properly with Lemieux's, so even when Turtle tries to avoid the hit, Konstantinov makes solid contact with him.

Brendan came east west and was going to miss, so he threw a shoulder, which has an extremely high chance of clipping a guy in the head. Ben Smith didn't have his head extraordinarily low. It was where most guy's would be when they're carrying the puck.

Wow. I've actually been thinking about that Konstantinov hit too, but not enough to search it out. Amazing how similar the two forwards' actions are with the little moves in the end to try to avoid the closing defenseman. It's almost like from a school book of hockey defenseman: the right way and the wrong way to hit. Brendan Smith's timing was off while Vladdy's was perfect. Not fair for Smith though. He's still a kid while Konstantinov was a genius and a natural talent.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#34 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Ben didn't headbutt his shoulder. Brendan threw a high risk hit and missed, only clipping the head. Now he's getting punished for it.

Here's the way it should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA&feature=fvsr

This hit gives me chills everytime i see it. :yowza:

I can see it now... come postseason guys who are not top 6 forwards sticking their heads out to take hits to get star players suspended. We all know its going to happen.

To me ben smith really didn't move his head just so it could get hit. I think if players start doing that shanny and company will be able to tell for sure on those.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Wow. I've actually been thinking about that Konstantinov hit too, but not enough to search it out. Amazing how similar the two forwards' actions are with the little moves in the end to try to avoid the closing defenseman. It's almost like from a school book of hockey defenseman: the right way and the wrong way to hit. Brendan Smith's timing was off while Vladdy's was perfect. Not fair for Smith though. He's still a kid while Konstantinov was a genius and a natural talent.

I couldn't believe how similar the two hits were when I saw them.

I'm not knocking Smith for not being able to hit like Vladdy, but that's kind of the point. You've got to get it exactly right to pull of something like that. It is a prime example of how the hit should be thrown, and why Brendan's was high risk and incorrect. If Vladdy had missed, he never would've come near Lemieux's head.

Plus Claude could have just retracted it into his shell.

#36 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Or maybe, guys will learn the right way and wrong way to play defense and how positioning plays a huge part in their game! A perfect example was posted above me.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#37 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Brendan threw a good hit, he missed. The ref's calling on the hit was decent, I guess. Match penalty is a bit much I think, but without the slow motion it's a hard call to say it wasn't intentional. WITH the slomo, it's clearly a standard high check that he didn't perfectly sink into the guy's chest. A short suspension now is alright, I suppose, but repeat offender status isn't really fair.

Beyond all that though: Ben PUT HIS HEAD DOWN on that toe drag. I played hockey from mini-mite through high school, and that is the one thing you're taught never to do. Especially on a 1v1 like that. If you put your head down you're asking to be crushed. Ben didn't see the hit because he was staring at the ice, and the way he was bent forward what would have been a clean hit was high.

Shanny is dropping the hammer now to set up precedent for the season for when actually dirty stuff happens, the short suspension is just because he doesn't want to seem to favor the Wings. But still, it was clearly unintentional head contact and was due to Ben lowering his head on that toe-drag. He should have kept his head up just like every hockey player is supposed to. A head contact penalty should have been the end of it. Props to Shanny for doing his job, but only a flagrant hit should be a suspension. A penalty is enough for something like this.

#38 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

We all know its going to happen.

Count me out.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#39 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sold on those situations being too similar. Brendan Smith is no Vladdy. And Ben Smith is no Claude.

Also, how is a 6 foot 2 defensemen supposed to get low enough on a 5 foot 10 inch forward to upend him like that?

Smith didn't really play it that wrong, it was an unfortunate incident, but Ben Smith put himself in the position for his head to get hit, instead of just taking the initial check which would have been body on body.

I always enjoy that video, though. :thumbup:
Posted Image

#40 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm not sold on those situations being too similar. Brendan Smith is no Vladdy. And Ben Smith is no Claude.

Also, how is a 6 foot 2 defensemen supposed to get low enough on a 5 foot 10 inch forward to upend him like that?

Smith didn't really play it that wrong, it was an unfortunate incident, but Ben Smith put himself in the position for his head to get hit, instead of just taking the initial check which would have been body on body.

I always enjoy that video, though. :thumbup:

Not necessarily to upend in a similar way, but the important thing is that Brendan was too far ahead while Vladdy positioned himself more on the side. When Ben Smith backed down only part of him Brendan could hit was his head. When Lemieux backed down he still ran into Vladdy's butt cause Vladdy made himself huge there.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 30 September 2011 - 11:19 AM.

-- Mitch Albom