• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

I'm not sold on those situations being too similar. Brendan Smith is no Vladdy. And Ben Smith is no Claude.

Also, how is a 6 foot 2 defensemen supposed to get low enough on a 5 foot 10 inch forward to upend him like that?

Smith didn't really play it that wrong, it was an unfortunate incident, but Ben Smith put himself in the position for his head to get hit, instead of just taking the initial check which would have been body on body.

I always enjoy that video, though. :thumbup:

I don't know if it's just my hillbilly eyes or what but i'm just not really seeing how it's Ben Smiths fault. much as i love my wings and Brendan...i just don't see it. 6'2 - 5'10 is not that far off from each other. If Brendan can't get down low enough to make a cleaner check and to make sure it doesn't hit Ben's head then he has some serious back issues. But thats just what I see and think. I may be totally wrong.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#42 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Here's the way it should be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA&feature=fvsr

I agree. However, there are no defenders in this league who could hit like that. What can you say if NHL best def is Pronger? Smith's hit is right within Pronger's play-offs physics - you're small I'm begger so I hit you to the head.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#43 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Honestly, being as unbiased as possible, I can't believe he was given 5 games. I think that is very severe for what transpired. When comparing Smith's hit to Wisniewski's where Wiz:
1. late hit compared to buzzer
2. no change in point of contact immediately prior to contact
3. direct contact with his elbow
4. multiple repeat offender

I cannot believe Wisniewski gets 8 and Smith gets 5 (we're talking regular season games because the pre-season, based on how much they'd dress, is negligible). Hopefully the video explanation is sufficient and maybe I just disagree with some of what he'll say in terms of interpreting the hit.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,551 posts

I'm not sold on those situations being too similar. Brendan Smith is no Vladdy. And Ben Smith is no Claude.

Also, how is a 6 foot 2 defensemen supposed to get low enough on a 5 foot 10 inch forward to upend him like that?

Smith didn't really play it that wrong, it was an unfortunate incident, but Ben Smith put himself in the position for his head to get hit, instead of just taking the initial check which would have been body on body.

I always enjoy that video, though. :thumbup:

Smith absolutely played that wrong. Even without the head contact, it was an all or nothing defensive move, with the much greater chance of getting nothing and leaving Ben in for a clean breakaway.

It doesn't matter that he's 6'2". Rob Blake is 6'3" and threw devastating hip checks. They just have to be done properly.

But when you line a guy up at that severe an angle, there's a high potential you'll miss. And if you throw a shoulder to try and catch some of him, there's a high potential you'll clip him in the head.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 30 September 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#45 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

the hit was very unfortunate on both parts. Brendan couldnt predict what move Ben was going to make as he lined him up and Ben also made the cardinal sin on the move. When I started to play, my coach's last words as I stepped onto the ice for my first shift,"keep your head up" still ring in my ears today. Maybe with all the rule changes players are becoming less accountable for their own well being whilst on the ice. This is what Babs was trying to say when asked about the incident. I think Brendan will learn from this but also feel the suspension a little harsh as well. I hope the AHL boss will let him serve the suspension whilst in GR, as he'll not get called up if not.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#46 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

I don't know if it's just my hillbilly eyes or what but i'm just not really seeing how it's Ben Smiths fault. much as i love my wings and Brendan...i just don't see it. 6'2 - 5'10 is not that far off from each other. If Brendan can't get down low enough to make a cleaner check and to make sure it doesn't hit Ben's head then he has some serious back issues. But thats just what I see and think. I may be totally wrong.

I was comparing it to Vladdy's hipcheck, I never said Brendan couldn't get lower in general.

I just said that comparing it to the Vladdy hit was a little irrelevant because it would be physically impossible for Brendan to get THAT low on a person who is 5 foot 10.
Posted Image

#47 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

I was expecting 5 games. Not because the hit was THAT bad, but Smith is a low impact player who can be suspended to prove a point. If suspending Smith for 5 games gets the point across to other players then I guess that's what has to be done.

Also, it should be noted, from what I read on Twitter, Smith has been assigned to GR and will play there because the Wings want to go with 7D. If anyone on D get's put on the IR then Smith will probably get called up to burn off his suspension.

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#48 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

Oh how have times have changed..it used to be the responsibility of the player to skate with his head up or you got crushed Scott Stevens style..how you can beat the s*** out of the puck, skate with your head down, do fancy toe drags, pay the price for it and the other dude gets 5 games. Like i said before I'm all for getting the cheap hits out of the game but this sport was built on speed, having your wits, keeping your head up and good clean aggression..clearly its changing.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#49 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:38 AM

I wasn't quite sure what to think, but the Puck Daddy article on the hit puts it very eloquently:

On Wednesday, after the hit and before the ruling, Shanahan re-released the player safety video he and Mathieu Schneider hosted that that given to the players during camp. It explicitly points out the "right" way to hit in the NHL in 2011: Without the head being the principle point of contact, going to the body first.

This wasn't a coincidence. Neither was a 5-game suspension to a guy who hasn't seen a second of NHL ice time yet.

The days of hits to the head be it head-hunting or just a way to separate man from puck are done. Watching a Scott Stevens highlight reel will be like peeking into an alternate timeline for the NHL; it's a world that doesn't exist any longer, for better or worse.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#50 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

cant fault ben smith for the drag, if he pulled it a split second sooner he woulda been all alone. cant say brendan smith hit him in the head intentionally. he was aiming for a big shoulder to shoulder hit and when ben dragged it he pulled his shoulders back leaving his head there.

It was just an unfortunate play if anything brendan will learn from it and be in better position next time

#51 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Honestly, being as unbiased as possible, I can't believe he was given 5 games. I think that is very severe for what transpired. When comparing Smith's hit to Wisniewski's where Wiz:
1. late hit compared to buzzer
2. no change in point of contact immediately prior to contact
3. direct contact with his elbow
4. multiple repeat offender

I cannot believe Wisniewski gets 8 and Smith gets 5 (we're talking regular season games because the pre-season, based on how much they'd dress, is negligible). Hopefully the video explanation is sufficient and maybe I just disagree with some of what he'll say in terms of interpreting the hit.

I think the 2 differences you are missing, which go the other way are that: 1) Brendan came from the side (harder to see him coming, but still not totally blind) and 2) Brendan's hit had a lot more speed and force behind it.

#52 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

cant fault ben smith for the drag, if he pulled it a split second sooner he woulda been all alone. cant say brendan smith hit him in the head intentionally. he was aiming for a big shoulder to shoulder hit and when ben dragged it he pulled his shoulders back leaving his head there.

It was just an unfortunate play if anything brendan will learn from it and be in better position next time

+1. This times a thousand!!!!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#53 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

I think the 2 differences you are missing, which go the other way are that: 1) Brendan came from the side (harder to see him coming, but still not totally blind) and 2) Brendan's hit had a lot more speed and force behind it.

I'll give you that he had more speed/force behind the hit which caused a resultant injury. Coming from the side, to me, is different than coming from the blindside. Ben Smith clearly saw him coming (which players don't usually when the offender is coming from the blind side) which caused him to try and toe drag. Also, I think in this case there is a much stronger argument for the player not targetting the head when compared to Wisniewski.

Compare, in terms of discipline (not the physical act of the hit itself) Smith's hit to Shelley's. Smith gets 3 pre-season and 5 regular season while Shelley gets 5 pre-season and 5 regular season. The Shelley hit was predatory in nature, as he hit him from behind with ample time to let up, and Boyce's head when straight into the glass albeit without suffering concussion symptoms as Ben Smith has. I don't see how the difference between Shelley's (which I thought was an appriopriate number of games) is that close (2 regular season game difference) to Smith's.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#54 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

Oh how have times have changed..it used to be the responsibility of the player to skate with his head up or you got crushed Scott Stevens style..how you can beat the s*** out of the puck, skate with your head down, do fancy toe drags, pay the price for it and the other dude gets 5 games. Like i said before I'm all for getting the cheap hits out of the game but this sport was built on speed, having your wits, keeping your head up and good clean aggression..clearly its changing.

The way I see it that a good smart player still keeps his head up. Not because he fears for his own safety but because he might lose a good scoring change. There's nothing wrong with defenseman hitting a forward skating with his head down. They just have to know how to do it cleanly and don't target the head cause that's very dangerous. Ben Smith could've had a good scoring chance had he kept his head up.

As always there are good players and bad players in the league. It just keeps getting different what characterises them. A good forward can be like Datsyuk. You won't see him skating with his head down as he's always looking for opportunities around him. A good physical defenseman can be like Kronwall. He knows how to throw hard checks but he knows how to do it without targeting the head. Just like few years ago when players had to learn not to obstruct and hook they know have to learn to check opponents cleanly. Those players whose success relied too much on now illegal skills will find themselves not wanted.

Edited by P. Marlowe, 30 September 2011 - 11:55 AM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#55 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:59 AM

Like I said before, this is going to deter guys from hitting, period.

Many of these suspensions have resulted from accidental split second plays. If guys avoid even going for a hit, they obviously won't be suspended.

Good for player safety, but not good for the physicality of the game in general.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#56 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Like I said before, this is going to deter guys from hitting, period.

Many of these suspensions have resulted from accidental split second plays. If guys avoid even going for a hit, they obviously won't be suspended.

Good for player safety, but not good for the physicality of the game in general.

Will be interesting to see if that happens though. Most players still like physical hockey. I hope even the grown-up players can still learn to adjust their game to the new rules.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#57 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Ken Holland was just on TSN Radio, said it was a fair punishment. Called the hit "a little bit reckless"

#58 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

Ken Holland was just on TSN Radio, said it was a fair punishment. Called the hit "a little bit reckless"

Way to back up your player Kenny. :thumbdown:

It was a little reckless, but the suspension was too harsh. Fair punishment my ass.

Wait till this happens when Kronwall destroys someone by leaving his feet, then we'll see what Kenny says.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 30 September 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#59 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Reckless hockey is entertaining but reckless players can so easily be liabilities to their teams. Not to mention dangerous (in a bad way) for the opposing players. I hope Smith learns to control his actions.

Way to back up your player Kenny. :thumbdown:

It was a little reckless, but the suspension was too harsh. Fair punishment my ass.

Wait till this happens when Kronwall destroys someone by leaving his feet, then we'll see what Kenny says.

Holland is part of the Red Wings but he's also part of the league. The rules were made with the GM's. I think Holland is too grown up for "Us against Them".

Edited by P. Marlowe, 30 September 2011 - 12:10 PM.

-- Mitch Albom

#60 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

Reckless hockey is entertaining but reckless players can so easily be liabilities to their teams. Not to mention dangerous (in a bad way) for the opposing players. I hope Smith learns to control his actions.

I don't think of Smith as a reckless player.

There's other guys on our team that label can be applied to more. I already mentioned one above.