• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#81 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

This board is freakin amazing. One day Shanny is the hero laying down the law then the next he is a villain and hurting the game.

#82 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

This board is freakin amazing. One day Shanny is the hero laying down the law then the next he is a villain and hurting the game.

Posted Image

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#83 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

where is that? who is saying shanny is a villain and hurting the game. If there is 1 or 2 people that said it ok...but the whole board?
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#84 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

where is that? who is saying shanny is a villain and hurting the game. If there is 1 or 2 people that said it ok...but the whole board?

Eh, don't worry about it. People love to paint with a wide brush. As a Leafs fan, people (on message boards and the such) always assume I'm an idiot.

#85 Winterberg

Winterberg

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...tal-eight-games

Games, I meant GAMES!!

Edited by Winterberg, 30 September 2011 - 01:26 PM.

#86 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

What's wrong with this topic?

http://www.letsgowin...-brendan-smith/

#87 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

i remember my first beer, I mean post!

#88 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

Someone has to sit down with Mr. Smith, as soon as possible, and impress upon him the fact that this is not how to make a name for himself in this League.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#89 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Personally, I consider the jury still way out on that either way. I will say that the transparency into his decisions are great but we are still talking about a small number of suspensions in the overall scheme of things. I think Smith's suspension was a bellwether moment, telling the players that any contact to the head, regardless of intent, will all be viewed in the same light. As long as that message stays consistent over the long haul, I'm fine with that.

For me, the next big test is what happens when an Ovechkin, Chara, or similar high profile player is in the same spot Brendan Smith just got himself into. If it's less than the 5-8 games mark that's been set, that's where I'll have an issue with it.

#90 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Personally, I consider the jury still way out on that either way. I will say that the transparency into his decisions are great but we are still talking about a small number of suspensions in the overall scheme of things. I think Smith's suspension was a bellwether moment, telling the players that any contact to the head, regardless of intent, will all be viewed in the same light. As long as that message stays consistent over the long haul, I'm fine with that.

For me, the next big test is what happens when an Ovechkin, Chara, or similar high profile player is in the same spot Brendan Smith just got himself into. If it's less than the 5-8 games mark that's been set, that's where I'll have an issue with it.

Agreed, yes overly extreme punishments can be bad for the sport, but the most important thing is consistency. Ask any player, a ref can be calling a bad game, as long as it's being called bad both ways it doesn't have near the same problems as inconsistency.

#91 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

For those asking, the other big difference, which I forgot about, to the Wisniewski hit was the resulting injury. If the Wisniewski git resulted in a serious injury, his suspension would have been "significantly" longer than the 8 games he got.

#92 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

I'm ok with the suspension.

Keep up the great work Shanny :thumbup:. It seems like the NHL has finally clued in to how serious concussions are.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#93 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

Someone has to sit down with Mr. Smith, as soon as possible, and impress upon him the fact that this is not how to make a name for himself in this League.

I completely disagree, telling a defensemen to concentrate hard on not hitting a forward coming right at him and challenging him to the inside ice is asking way too much. Hockey is a very fast game and this hit is due to the speed of the game more so then the hitters meaning to head hunt.

This hit should never be held against Smith in a way that would paint him as dirty, this hit was completely legal just a few seasons ago, it wasn't a malicious elbow, charging/jump, slash to the head, check from behind.

I don't know the next time brendan smith is on a one on one situation with an NHL player the last thing I want on his mind is worrying about being suspended if he misses the target on an NHL forward who is doing everything he can to avoid a body check by the defenseman.

Now if he starts checking people from behind, throwing elbows or slashes people then I'd be ok with talking to him about not becoming Matt Cooke.

Then again maybe it's not the worst thing in the world, Pronger has been pretty successful afterall.

#94 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

I know Smith the guy that hit him. He's a young kid. He's not a repeat offender, but it's still pretty hefty for a first [suspension].

link

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#95 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

I don't know the next time brendan smith is on a one on one situation with an NHL player the last thing I want on his mind is worrying about being suspended if he misses the target on an NHL forward who is doing everything he can to avoid a body check by the defenseman.

I agree with this, the mental side of the game is huge. I believe Bert is a prime example of what your mind can do to you as he is half the player he used to be.

Smith should learn from it, and move on.

I also think Shanny is doing a good job, but i want to see if he sticks with it or if he gets soft when a superstar is involved.

I think in a few years there are gonna be allot of repeat offenders at this rate.

#96 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

I don't get it. Shanahan in his video says Ben Smith didn't significantly change his course enough for it to cause the hit, but the thing is that brendan smith missed the shoulder by like an inch and hit his head. So I'd be more willing to say that because of that very slight move to the inside by Ben that it ended up causing Brendan's hit to miss his shoulder and hit his head. Also as Ben is trying that inside toe drag his head is going forward a little more which sticks out to be hit. I'm not going to bash Shanny because of this but I think this is a little extreme suspension for a first time offender on an accident. I don't believe this is wreckless because if Ben wouldn't have done that move it would have been a clean shoulder to shoulder hit.

I'm just surprised that this is the 2nd longest suspension of the preseason when I believe this is the hit that is closest to being clean of all the others.

Edited by PrairieDawg, 30 September 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#97 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

I completely disagree, telling a defensemen to con

[CUTTED нахер]

, Pronger has been pretty successful afterall.

don't hit Crosby anymore, please! Pleeeeease!!!! Pleeeeeeaaaaaase!
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#98 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

don't hit Crosby anymore, please! Pleeeeease!!!! Pleeeeeeaaaaaase!

Yep thanks for bringing him up, I didn't talk about him enough in my post.

#99 Winterberg

Winterberg

Prospect

• 47 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

What's wrong with this topic?

http://www.letsgowin...-brendan-smith/

That one is no good.

#100 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

I'm not happy about this suspension because I don't want any Red Wings to ever get a suspension. But if this was another player on a different team, I'd say "good job, Shanny!"

But what bugs me most is now Smith will be considered a "repeat offender". It's amazing that 3/10ths of a second late and 10mm off the mark can determine a players future 'status'. Brendan would love to have this play back and retry it from a different angle. Maybe he wishes he bent down low and took out Ben's hips/legs. I mean a torn ACL wouldn't have been a suspension, right?

Now I am wondering how long fights like the Winchester will be suspendable because the hit he took was to the point of contact where Ben took his hit... At the end of the day, that's reckelss too, right? I mean in the Nu:NHL's world.