• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:39 AM

My main gripe is that ben smith knew that he was going to be hit, yet did nothing to protect himself. Brendan did not come from the blindside, he didn't charge, he didn't jump therefore I really disagree on the length of suspension because Brendan did make contact with the head that was the only issue with the hit, everything else was text book. So for the NHL to remain consistent they are going o be giving out A minimum 6 game suspension for a head hit, not even including if the hit was late, charging, blindside, or if was a repeat offender. The NHL is goin to be giving out a tremendous amount of very significant suspensions considering the precedent being set by this hit. And I don't have much faith that they will be able to.

These hits are a apart of the game, it's so difficult to line up a player, now any hit that is devasting will be penalized because everyone's head snaps back in real time on impact.

#122 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

My main gripe is that ben smith knew that he was going to be hit, yet did nothing to protect himself. Brendan did not come from the blindside, he didn't charge, he didn't jump therefore I really disagree on the length of suspension because Brendan did make contact with the head that was the only issue with the hit, everything else was text book. So for the NHL to remain consistent they are going o be giving out A minimum 6 game suspension for a head hit, not even including if the hit was late, charging, blindside, or if was a repeat offender. The NHL is goin to be giving out a tremendous amount of very significant suspensions considering the precedent being set by this hit. And I don't have much faith that they will be able to.

These hits are a apart of the game, it's so difficult to line up a player, now any hit that is devasting will be penalized because everyone's head snaps back in real time on impact.

That right there is the problem. It becomes more and more part of the game and I think how players have learned to hit when they were younger. If you go back and watch Don Cherry's Rock em sock em videos, you don't see a ton of head shots in those.

Right now, the NHL has a serious issue with brain injuries. They really do need to get rid of head shots and the way to do it is to seriously suspend players that deliver those hits. Back in the day, it used to be the responsibility of the player getting hit to be responsible and not to put himself in a bad position. The hitter had no responsibility....that made no sense at all.

#123 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

... blah blah blah.

Addendum: Shanahan explains, that his (Ben Smith) head position did not significantly change. I would like to point out that his head position did change in relation to his left shoulder, which was the target. His head was protected by his left shoulder until he dropped it back and opened his body allowing the natural and pre-chosen trajectory to follow into his head instead of his shoulder. He still put himself into a vulnerable position by moving his shoulders.

I think you (and a lot of others) need to watch the video again. When Ben toe drags, his left shoulder moves forward relative to his head.

Brendan took a bad line to the hit. The suspension does seem a bit harsh, but hopefully he'll learn from it. Not just to avoid penalties/suspensions or to avoid hurting people but to be a better player. A few people pointed out that the hit was just a couple inches from being a good shoulder to shoulder check. But it was also a couple inches the other way from blowing by him altogether and leaving Ben with a clear break on goal. Brendan actually had to lean in a bit to make contact.

#124 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

serious hate comming down on shanny on twitter. this is silly, ben smith should get suspended for headbutting smiths shoulder. this is just so stupid. if ur heads down thats what u get! if the guy uses his shoulder it is a clean hit 99 percent of the time. im just distraught

NHL yourf****** out! all of you

Posted Image

not sure why there's so much hate toward this comment...ben smith is just as guilty for putting himself in a vulnerable position. there's no longer any onus on anyone in the NHL to protect themselves...it's all about taking a hit in a vulnerable position to get a call. 5 games is bulls*** seeing as boyes' hit was worse and he got 2 games.....2! sorry shanny, love ya buddy but that's BS.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#125 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

That right there is the problem. It becomes more and more part of the game and I think how players have learned to hit when they were younger. If you go back and watch Don Cherry's Rock em sock em videos, you don't see a ton of head shots in those.

Right now, the NHL has a serious issue with brain injuries. They really do need to get rid of head shots and the way to do it is to seriously suspend players that deliver those hits. Back in the day, it used to be the responsibility of the player getting hit to be responsible and not to put himself in a bad position. The hitter had no responsibility....that made no sense at all.

It's apart of the game due to the speed of the game, not do to the negligence of the hitter. Now I believe the head hits are more prevalent now because of the shoulder pads, back in Don Cherry's day hitting with just your shoulder would cause more injury to you then anything else, not to mention players back then protected their head more by keeping their elbows and stick up.

The issue with concussions would be solved better by changing the shoulder pads then punishing north-south checks. The hitter still has the majority of responsibility to not be late on the hit, not to charge, not to elbow, not to go too low, not to miss and get beat, not to check from behind etc., there is still a ton of responsibility on the hitter, the person being hit's job is simply not to be hit, he doesn't have to worry about being penalized for any infraction while he's carrying the puck.

I'm afraid these shoulder to head rules will have a negative effect on the integrity of the game, you are taking even more responsibility away from the puck carrier, and putting nearly all the blame onto the hitter. These are also going to be incredibly difficult to enforce by the referees, us Red Wing fans will need to prepare to a). Never see Kronwall hit someone in the open ice ever again, or b). Prepare for him to get a 5 minute major and a lengthy suspension. His Havlat/Heatley hits would put him out for both series most likely now. Eventually defensemen just won't check in the open ice, which will in turn let the puck carrier let his guard down even more coming across the blue line and we will still have the same amount of injuries.

I just think this is overall a bad path to go down for the league, I just don't see the perfect end point in what they are trying to accomplish, they are going to take open ice checks out of the game because the risk of suspension isn't worth it to the defenseman.

Edited by Carman, 01 October 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#126 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hockey starting to turn into Ice Basketball!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#127 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

"Hi, I'm Brendan Shanahan, Vice President of the NHL's Player Safety Division. It has recently come to my attention that none of the fans want to see a game of WNBA basketball on the ice surfaces of the NHL. Therefore I have decided to stop all this nonsense and shinanigans and issue a simple warning to the numbskulls skating around with their heads down out there like they're in a skills competition: KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND LOOK OUT. Please disregard my previous comments about Scott Stevens being suspended from Hall of Fame induction until the year 2143. As it turns out, the forwards playing against him during his time in the NHL should have kept their heads up and looked out, as well."

Funny how many of the announcer's comments after those hits revolve around "clean" and "the player never saw it coming" and the like. The attacking player has the responsibility to avoid getting hit. If he puts his head in the way, that's his fault.

The issue along the boards is a much tougher one to call. That line is a lot finer. I've seen plenty of players cranked into the glass when they shouldn't have been, but I've also seen plenty of players bend over at the last minute and get their heads slammed into the boards when it just would have been their body if they had stayed upright. I think the NHL should be looking at these situations a lot more carefully instead of the ones where the offensive player creates the problem.

Watch Smith's hit again in slow motion. If you notice, he makes shoulder to shoulder contact FIRST before his shoulder rubs off of Ben Smith's shoulder and moves to his head. For this reason, I believe there is NO intent to injure on this play, and a 5 minute major for elbowing should have been the only call.

#128 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

I'd definetly say it deserves a suspension becasue the NHL needs to crack down on all of this but that seems a bit extensive considering all the other rulings. Also I do think it is all the players responsibility to keep your head up and watch where you're going and for any oncoming danger and try to avoid it. I know it can't all be avoided and it can't be taken out of the game completly but the players have to look out for their own saftey.

#129 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Wow I thought he'd get three maybe four tops with the pre-season included in that.

#130 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

We might think it is harsh, possibly because it happened to a guy on our favorite team, possibly just in general we might think it is harsh, but given the inconsistency of suspension lengths of such hits (generally speaking) in recent memory, I'm all for Shanahan laying the hammer down hard and often on anybody as long as he is consistent.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 02 October 2011 - 09:23 PM.

#131 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

3 games for Smith in the AHL.

http://www.mlive.com...th_suspend.html

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#132 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

3 games for Smith in the AHL.

http://www.mlive.com...th_suspend.html

That makes his suspension even more over the top. Even though I think it was reckless, he was trying to make a hockey play and it went bad. Because of the suspension from Shanny he's likely not going to play in the NHL this year, yet the AHL thought that wasn't enough and tacked on three games?

He didn't Bertuzzi a guy. He made an ill advised hit. That deserves three pre-season games, 5 NHL games, and 3 AHL games??

#133 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

this is just completely ridiculous! do they have there heart set on ruining the game? players are gunna be scared to throw any hit!

#134 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

Wait, you can get suspended in a different league after being disciplined in another league?

this is just completely ridiculous! do they have there heart set on ruining the game? players are gunna be scared to throw any hit!

Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#135 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

The 3 game suspension in the AHL would make sense if it was "credited" towards his NHL suspension. But as it stands, suspended for a total of 11 games for a hit that was ruled for an 8 game suspension... :blink:

If I were Kenny, I'd go ahead and call him up to start serving the suspension with the Wings. If he can't play in the NHL, and can't play in the AHL, might as well get the more important suspension over with...

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#136 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

The 3 game suspension in the AHL would make sense if it was "credited" towards his NHL suspension. But as it stands, suspended for a total of 11 games for a hit that was ruled for an 8 game suspension... :blink:

If I were Kenny, I'd go ahead and call him up to start serving the suspension with the Wings. If he can't play in the NHL, and can't play in the AHL, might as well get the more important suspension over with...

I wonder if Smith gets semi-injured early that they'll call him up just to get the serving started.

#137 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

Looks like the Wings called him up today to serve his suspension while Commie is out.

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun
Wings recalled Brendan Smith today. He can start serving his 5-game suspension now

Edited by ogreslayer, 08 October 2011 - 09:39 AM.

#138 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

Good idea, actually. We have a spot open, but it won't leave us with a short bench.