• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

I figured something like this would happen after the offseason deaths and the new "player safety" measures Shanny is laying out. He doesn't say much, but I don't like the sound of what he's hinting at.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...n-national.html
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

surprising coming from a tough mother****** who was a great fighter

#3 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

I honestly don't know what I would do if the NHL got rid of fighting. It has it's place in the game and is needed. Things would get a lot worse if players didn't have to worry about dropping the gloves, and there would be a lot more chespshots and bad hits...

While were at it why don't they start using a ball instead of a puck, it's a lot safer for players and goalies a like, and without fighting, might as well go mandatory full cage.

Edited by Crashnburnluder, 30 September 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#4 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

I guess this means that in the future you can still fight but not hit the opponent in the head. No biggie.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I guess this means that in the future you can still fight but not hit the opponent in the head. No biggie.

As long as the principal point of contact isn't the head. :D

#6 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Interesting comments from one Mr. Ken Dryden on hits targeting the head, including asking the question "What is fighting if not hitting targeting the head?".

The NHL rulebook is judicious in distinguishing a bodycheck to the head from other contact to the head, treating fighting as its own separate category. For an illegal check, it is necessary that "the head is targeted and the principal point of contact." But in a fight, is the head not "targeted?" Is the head not "the principal point of contact?" Is a fist not part of the body? And in fights today, with fighters who can truly fight, what's the difference between being hit in the head by Niklas Kronwall's shoulder or Zdeno Chara's fist? This is about head injuries, not fighting's place in hockey. This is about the outrageous damage that hits to the head are doing to lives and to a sport.

http://www.grantland...-get-head-smart

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Interesting comments from one Mr. Ken Dryden on hits targeting the head, including asking the question "What is fighting if not hitting targeting the head?".

http://www.grantland...-get-head-smart

Good point, but nothing new from Dryden.

He's always been against fighting from what I can remember.

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Fighting will never go away, but maybe they institute some sort of tap out rule (clutch the opponent and tap out?) and make body slams/take downs illeagal and suspense worthy offenses... this is where the most danger comes into play...

I'm just throwing out ideas on ways they could crack down, while still keeping the element in the game, not necesarily proposing this... although, I definately wouldn't be opposed to it...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#9 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Violence is fun but head injuries are serious. Maybe "tough" guys could implement hitting the belly and kicking the crotch into their tactics.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Fighting will never go away, but maybe they institute some sort of tap out rule (clutch the opponent and tap out?) and make body slams/take downs illeagal and suspense worthy offenses... this is where the most danger comes into play...

I'm just throwing out ideas on ways they could crack down, while still keeping the element in the game, not necesarily proposing this... although, I definately wouldn't be opposed to it...

Call it the "Johan Franzen" rule.

#11 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

If fighting is banned I and im sure others will never watch another NHL game in my life, not because the game isnt interesting and entertaining still, but because I love the sport of hockey, the way it has been for over 100 years, and I will do it as sort of a boycott. This is the game ive bled, cried, and sat in hospital beds for, and I wouldnt change it for anything. People often question my take on hockey because I want it rough and tough like it should be, but it should be known my brother broke his neck playing hockey, and he nor i would change it for the world.

#12 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

If they're going to take a serious look at fighting in the NHL, I'm glad a guy with 90+ NHL fights in his career will be heading it up.

#13 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

If the NHL gets serious about suspensions, which they FINALLY are, they don't need fighting anymore.

I'm ok with fighting being banned. If I wanted to watch fighting, I'd watch the UFC.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,959 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

If the NHL gets serious about suspensions, which they FINALLY are, they don't need fighting anymore.

I'm ok with fighting being banned. If I wanted to watch fighting, I'd watch the UFC.

If I wanted to watch figure skating, I'd watch the Olympics.

If I wanted to watch grown men cheapshot each other without any physical retaliation or standing up for one's teammates, I'd watch football.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 30 September 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#15 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

there's some stuff I can see them wanting to get rid of. They've shown they'll suspend players for leaving the bench to fight. I imagine cheap shots will now be suspensions or locking up with a guy who doesn't want to go. they'll never eliminate fighting, just like when they tried after the lockout its part of the game that is never going away. late hits in a fight will probably looked at, it's not mma players need to let up if the dude drops.

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

I honestly don't know what I would do if the NHL got rid of fighting. It has it's place in the game and is needed. Things would get a lot worse if players didn't have to worry about dropping the gloves, and there would be a lot more chespshots and bad hits...

There's not going to be more cheapshots and bad hits now that 5 or more game suspensions being thrown around daily.

If I wanted to watch figure skating, I'd watch the Olympics.

If I wanted to watch grown men cheapshot each other without any physical retaliation or standing up for one's teammates, I'd watch football.

Watch an OHL game, they have a complete ban on head shots, and the game is fine.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Fighting is already useless because of the instigator rule so why not.

#18 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

There's not going to be more cheapshots and bad hits now that 5 or more game suspensions being thrown around daily.

Watch an OHL game, they have a complete ban on head shots, and the game is fine.

They still have fighting...

#19 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

They still have fighting...

I heard a good point about fighting, the NHL should treat it like other sports, you can fight, but you'll get tossed for the rest of the game, maybe more.

The game would be better without guys like Chris Neil and Colton Orr.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#20 RedBengals

RedBengals

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

why? five minutes is a fine amount of time. tossing for a game is pointless. some fights deserve to happen and they only do if both guys want to go.