• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GMRwings1983

NHL will Look into Fighting: Shanahan

Rate this topic

The thing is, nobody is being forced to fight. Guys that fight know the potential consequences. Something like 98% of NHLers feel fighting has a place in the game. The thing that i could see happening is some type of rule being implemented where the player's helmets have to stay on during the fight or some s***. Once the helmet comes off, the refs step in. I don't really see any reason to try and regulate fighting in the NHL, because there is no clear tie between fighting and the deaths of Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard, and Wade Belak. It was documented before Rypien's death that he had psychological issues. Boogaard had drug problems. A 5 minute penalty is fine for a fight.

The thing is, nobody is being forced to fight. Guys that fight know the potential consequences. Something like 98% of NHLers feel fighting has a place in the game. The thing that i could see happening is some type of rule being implemented where the player's helmets have to stay on during the fight or some s***. Once the helmet comes off, the refs step in. I don't really see any reason to try and regulate fighting in the NHL, because there is no clear tie between fighting and the deaths of Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard, and Wade Belak. It was documented before Rypien's death that he had psychological issues. Boogaard had drug problems. A 5 minute penalty is fine for a fight.

This might happen. Sounds very realistic. Not many want to see a player passing out and hitting his head to the ice without helmet on.

keeping helmets on would lead to SO many hand injuries. when someone drops the gloves they know what they're getting into.

Not to mention that it would be a royal pain in the patootie for fighting goalies.

Call it the "Johan Franzen" rule.

That's harsh man. Franzen doesn't tap out like a sissy. He carefully positions a ref between himself and the other guy, like a real tough guy. :cool:

Franzen's like a little brother-- he's tough when mom's around to keep her eye on you but once you get him alone he's not interested in mixing it up.

You really think this is comparable to the UFC analogy?

Yes.

Why does someone have to watch the UFC to watch athletes fighting?

There's plenty of hockey fans who enjoy that part of the game and enjoy watching guys drop the mitts. It's been a part of the game a long time. I hate the whole "go watch the UFC" crap anti-fighting people always say.

I want my hockey to be physical, which includes hitting and fighting. If people don't like that kind of hockey, they should go watch figure skating, instead of telling people like me to go watch the UFC.

Yes.

Why does someone have to watch the UFC to watch athletes fighting?

There's plenty of hockey fans who enjoy that part of the game and enjoy watching guys drop the mitts. It's been a part of the game a long time. I hate the whole "go watch the UFC" crap anti-fighting people always say.

I want my hockey to be physical, which includes hitting and fighting. If people don't like that kind of hockey, they should go watch figure skating, instead of telling people like me to go watch the UFC.

The problem is figure skating doesn't even compare to hockey, except for the fact both sports are on the ice.

If you are going to argue for fighting that's fine. But you are belittling the sport itself to defend an aspect of it you enjoy.

well if you can't hit in the head theres no use for fighting, at least soon i won't have to watch or play hockey any more and it wont rule over my life

It's pretty sad if that's all you watch hockey for. I know a few girls that only watch hockey for fighting, but that's ok because they are good looking and don't know any better. Gretzky never fought, Fedorov never fought, Bure never fought, Yzerman never fought, Lidstrom never fights and they were/are the price of admission.

Note: I don't consider wrestling an opponent down to the ice a fight. I consider what Datsyuk and Perry did fighting and whatever Lilja use to try to do was considered fighting, though.

That's all you watch hockey for is the fighting?

when did i say that?

It's pretty sad if that's all you watch hockey for. I know a few girls that only watch hockey for fighting, but that's ok because they are good looking and don't know any better. Gretzky never fought, Fedorov never fought, Bure never fought, Yzerman never fought, Lidstrom never fights and they were/are the price of admission.

Note: I don't consider wrestling an opponent down to the ice a fight. I consider what Datsyuk and Perry did fighting and whatever Lilja use to try to do was considered fighting, though.

i watch hockey because it is speed, grace, and violence, speed and grace is just figure skating with sticks. I could care less about fighting tbh.

when did i say that?

Found it:

well if you can't hit in the head theres no use for fighting, at least soon i won't have to watch or play hockey any more and it wont rule over my life

Your quote is clearly implying that if fighting is taken out, then you won't watch or play hockey anymore. Anything to the contrary is a bold faced lie.

Edited by Konnan511

Found it:

Your quote is clearly implying that if fighting is taken out, then you won't watch or play hockey anymore. Anything to the contrary is a bold faced lie.

that doesnt mean i only watch for fighting. holy f***. what i mean is i don't think hockey in a few years will be anything like a grew up with, don't put words in my mouth. Get a grip. re read that statement

Edited by jollymania

that doesnt mean i only watch for fighting. holy f***. what i mean is i don't think hockey in a few years will be anything like a grew up with, don't put words in my mouth. Get a grip. re read that statement

A pro-fighting and non-fighting person both came to the exact same conclusion. Maybe you should re-word it because it states that fighting is nothing but hitting to the head, and they are trying to get rid of it and when/if they do, you won't watch or play hockey anymore. That's exactly what it says the way you worded it. Get a grip and don't say it means something else when it doesn't. Re-read your statement.

A pro-fighting and non-fighting person both came to the exact same conclusion. Maybe you should re-word it because it states that fighting is nothing but hitting to the head, and they are trying to get rid of it and when/if they do, you won't watch or play hockey anymore. That's exactly what it says the way you worded it. Get a grip and don't say it means something else when it doesn't. Re-read your statement.

yeah but i put a comma in there. not that it matters i mean what i mean, you can think whatever your backwards mind wants to

yeah but i put a comma in there. not that it matters i mean what i mean, you can think whatever your backwards mind wants to

And the comma was to interject and combine two trains of thought. I know why you threw a comma in there. I say things all the time that make sense to me, but the way i write it, it doesn't come out quite write. All I'm saying is, the way you wrote it, it sounds like if they take fighting out of hockey you will stop watching hockey. You would stop watching hockey because there is no more fighting, therefore you only watch hockey for fighting and nothing else. it's not backwards, it's logic.

Backwards think don't I.

And the comma was to interject and combine two trains of thought. I know why you threw a comma in there. I say things all the time that make sense to me, but the way i write it, it doesn't come out quite write. All I'm saying is, the way you wrote it, it sounds like if they take fighting out of hockey you will stop watching hockey. You would stop watching hockey because there is no more fighting, therefore you only watch hockey for fighting and nothing else. it's not backwards, it's logic.

Backwards think don't I.

or you can read it as 2 separate statements, at any rate i don't know why the f*** you care so much. and i dont' care what you think i said because it isn't true

why? five minutes is a fine amount of time. tossing for a game is pointless. some fights deserve to happen and they only do if both guys want to go.

Agree 100%

not that i agree with even 25% of what Don Cherry says, but i'd be interested to hear what he thinks about all of these new illegal hit to the head suspensions and the theory behind it and player safety as it migrates to fighting in hockey. Hits to the head during play, fine, crack down, but i think (and hope) fighting will be left alone.