• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

That's all you watch hockey for is the fighting?

when did i say that?

It's pretty sad if that's all you watch hockey for. I know a few girls that only watch hockey for fighting, but that's ok because they are good looking and don't know any better. Gretzky never fought, Fedorov never fought, Bure never fought, Yzerman never fought, Lidstrom never fights and they were/are the price of admission.

Note: I don't consider wrestling an opponent down to the ice a fight. I consider what Datsyuk and Perry did fighting and whatever Lilja use to try to do was considered fighting, though.

i watch hockey because it is speed, grace, and violence, speed and grace is just figure skating with sticks. I could care less about fighting tbh.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#42 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:57 PM

when did i say that?

Found it:

well if you can't hit in the head theres no use for fighting, at least soon i won't have to watch or play hockey any more and it wont rule over my life

Your quote is clearly implying that if fighting is taken out, then you won't watch or play hockey anymore. Anything to the contrary is a bold faced lie.

Edited by Konnan511, 30 September 2011 - 11:58 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#43 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

Found it:

Your quote is clearly implying that if fighting is taken out, then you won't watch or play hockey anymore. Anything to the contrary is a bold faced lie.

that doesnt mean i only watch for fighting. holy f***. what i mean is i don't think hockey in a few years will be anything like a grew up with, don't put words in my mouth. Get a grip. re read that statement

Edited by jollymania, 01 October 2011 - 12:14 AM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#44 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

that doesnt mean i only watch for fighting. holy f***. what i mean is i don't think hockey in a few years will be anything like a grew up with, don't put words in my mouth. Get a grip. re read that statement

A pro-fighting and non-fighting person both came to the exact same conclusion. Maybe you should re-word it because it states that fighting is nothing but hitting to the head, and they are trying to get rid of it and when/if they do, you won't watch or play hockey anymore. That's exactly what it says the way you worded it. Get a grip and don't say it means something else when it doesn't. Re-read your statement.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#45 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

A pro-fighting and non-fighting person both came to the exact same conclusion. Maybe you should re-word it because it states that fighting is nothing but hitting to the head, and they are trying to get rid of it and when/if they do, you won't watch or play hockey anymore. That's exactly what it says the way you worded it. Get a grip and don't say it means something else when it doesn't. Re-read your statement.

yeah but i put a comma in there. not that it matters i mean what i mean, you can think whatever your backwards mind wants to
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#46 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

yeah but i put a comma in there. not that it matters i mean what i mean, you can think whatever your backwards mind wants to

And the comma was to interject and combine two trains of thought. I know why you threw a comma in there. I say things all the time that make sense to me, but the way i write it, it doesn't come out quite write. All I'm saying is, the way you wrote it, it sounds like if they take fighting out of hockey you will stop watching hockey. You would stop watching hockey because there is no more fighting, therefore you only watch hockey for fighting and nothing else. it's not backwards, it's logic.

Backwards think don't I.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#47 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

And the comma was to interject and combine two trains of thought. I know why you threw a comma in there. I say things all the time that make sense to me, but the way i write it, it doesn't come out quite write. All I'm saying is, the way you wrote it, it sounds like if they take fighting out of hockey you will stop watching hockey. You would stop watching hockey because there is no more fighting, therefore you only watch hockey for fighting and nothing else. it's not backwards, it's logic.

Backwards think don't I.

or you can read it as 2 separate statements, at any rate i don't know why the f*** you care so much. and i dont' care what you think i said because it isn't true
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

A fight thread where we're arguing about punctuation. That has to be a first. :D
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the fight thread!
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#50 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

why? five minutes is a fine amount of time. tossing for a game is pointless. some fights deserve to happen and they only do if both guys want to go.

Agree 100%

not that i agree with even 25% of what Don Cherry says, but i'd be interested to hear what he thinks about all of these new illegal hit to the head suspensions and the theory behind it and player safety as it migrates to fighting in hockey. Hits to the head during play, fine, crack down, but i think (and hope) fighting will be left alone.

#51 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

A fight thread where we're arguing about punctuation. That has to be a first. :D

Look at the bright side; at least someone cares about proper grammar and punctuation. So few people do anymore.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#52 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Look at the bright side; at least someone cares about proper grammar and punctuation. So few people do anymore.

You used a semicolon just to show off! :lol:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#53 bentcobra

bentcobra

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

The thing is, nobody is being forced to fight. Guys that fight know the potential consequences. Something like 98% of NHLers feel fighting has a place in the game. .

I agree 100% those who do not wish to fight do not run the risk of head injuries due to fighting. This is a much different scenario than goal scorers trying to make a deke and getting their skulls crushed with shoulders and elbows. As long as fights are mutually agreed upon, they are good for the game. They fill the seats, change momentum, and offer retaliation for head hunting

#54 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

I agree 100% those who do not wish to fight do not run the risk of head injuries due to fighting. This is a much different scenario than goal scorers trying to make a deke and getting their skulls crushed with shoulders and elbows. As long as fights are mutually agreed upon, they are good for the game. They fill the seats, change momentum, and offer retaliation for head hunting

Except for the ones who aren't willing participants. Just like Gillies absolutely disgusting cheapshots on Tangradi last season. You still have the goons that don't care if you want to fight or not, they're still going to come after you because they literally offer nothing else to the team.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#55 bentcobra

bentcobra

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Except for the ones who aren't willing participants. Just like Gillies absolutely disgusting cheapshots on Tangradi last season. You still have the goons that don't care if you want to fight or not, they're still going to come after you because they literally offer nothing else to the team.

Well hopefully this is one of the issues that Shanny is addressing. Suspensions should be hefty for those who throw punches at players who do not wish to fight or players who have not had a chance to drop their gloves and engage the other fighter.

#56 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,878 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

True. Without punctuation, the thread title would read, "NHL will Look into Fighting Shanahan".

#57 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

True. Without punctuation, the thread title would read, "NHL will Look into Fighting Shanahan".

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#58 bentcobra

bentcobra

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

was looking for the exelby fight from tonight and found this. Shanny retaliates after a stick to the face. This should stay in the game.

My link

#59 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

was looking for the exelby fight from tonight and found this. Shanny retaliates after a stick to the face. This should stay in the game.

My link

Like I said early, when Abby wanted to fight, i liked it because he was sticking up for himself after a dirty hit. It's the staged fights or scrums after a clean hit that i want gone.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#60 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Like I said early, when Abby wanted to fight, i liked it because he was sticking up for himself after a dirty hit. It's the staged fights or scrums after a clean hit that i want gone.

I loved seeing Abby get up and try to fight MacArthur.

The staged fights I don't like on the surface, but I am okay with them when a game is getting out of hand, or when an enforcer steps in so a skill player doesn't have to fight unwillingly. Similarly, I don't generally like fights after clean hits, but when the clean hit is dangerous I don't mind. An example is below.