• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Diving

Rate this topic

I think I heard this correctly earlier this week; please feel free to sue me if it's incorrect.

As "flopping" is in season now more than ever, the NBA is considering the following: the owness will be placed directly on the shoulders of the referees. If obvious cases are not called, the Association will begin to fine the referees for "not doing their job".

The NBA might either want to rethink this proposal or wait until negotiations for a new contract with the referees.

I realize you've pulled up an old thread for a new post, and might suggest you just start a new thread...

I think Basketball is a different can of worms, but it is thought provoking none-the-less. I disagree with the idea of fining refs. either you trust they are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, or you find someone else. Refs aren't paid enough to be fined anyway, at least not in our league.

Mis dos centavos.

I guess since this happened I have seen at least one dive called unsportsmanlike, however, even though he got called for embellishment, the first guy still got a penalty. So, where is the disadvantage to the guy diving? None. He either gets matching minors or a PP. Win/win. If a guy gets called for embellishment it should be a no-brainer logic that only one guy goes to the box and its not the person who initiated the check.

Can't ever count on the NHL league office or refs to be logical though.

PS - I don't mind the thread necro if the topic is still relevant.

lol really semin?

elbow/forearm hits him in the chest/shoulder and semin jumps after contact.... also, the left side of his body gets hit and somehow he spins right.

then stays down to make sure the hawks get penalized as much as possible before getting up completely fine and on his own. and he's out the very next shift. ridiculous.

I think I heard this correctly earlier this week; please feel free to sue me if it's incorrect.

As "flopping" is in season now more than ever, the NBA is considering the following: the owness will be placed directly on the shoulders of the referees. If obvious cases are not called, the Association will begin to fine the referees for "not doing their job".

The NBA might either want to rethink this proposal or wait until negotiations for a new contract with the referees.

Dude. I'm all for imperfect spelling and grammar on the internets, but this one hurt me right in the feels. Yowza.

It's spelled ONUS. A letter away from ANUS, which is what I'm being with this post.

While putting the onus on the referee may work in basketball to minimize flopping, hockey is just too fast of a sport. There's so much going on as it is that you can't add to that "judging acting skills" to the job requirement. The way to legislate diving out of the sport is to have supplemental discipline in the form of heavy-handed suspensions against players diving. It isn't worth diving to get one power play in a game if it means you sit the next 5 or so games.

It has to be heavy punishment in order to make it clear to players that it's not worth the gamble. Give refs the power to call just dives, if there's an obvious one, but the league office has to take care of this in order to clean up the game. The refs already have enough to worry about.

The number of embellishment (diving) calls on each team since the 2010-11 season

This website is source

Montreal: 23
Pittsburgh: 22
Nashville: 20
Boston: 19
Arizona: 17
Carolina: 17
Edmonton: 17
Tampa Bay: 17
Calgary: 14
New Jersey: 13
Philadelphia: 13
Minnesota: 13
Florida: 13
Anaheim: 12
Dallas: 12
Detroit: 12
St. Louis: 12
Vancouver: 12
Washington: 12
Ottawa: 11
New York Islanders: 10
Chicago: 10
Toronto: 9
San Jose: 9
New York Rangers: 9
Winnipeg: 8
Los Angeles: 7
Colorado: 7
Buffalo: 6
Columbus: 6
Vegas: 1

Red Wings culprits:

Abdelkader: 3
Athanasiou: 2
Vanek: 1
Smith: 1
Nyquist: 1
Green: 1
Lashoff: 1
Helm: 1
Hudler: 1

EDIT: I believe Nyquist and Pulkinnen were also fined for diving once each, but there was no call on the ice in those incidents so those didn't land on my list.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 10/3/2011 at 7:12 PM, F.Michael said:

What ever became of the NHL that I "grew up" with?

Back then it was embarassing to do what we see in todays game - embellishment...There was a time when you "took a number" of the opposition...Todays NHL it's all about looking over at the refs, and plead your case as though he were a wide receiver in the NFL.

{copy/pasted from another thread}

I love these resurrected threads...Mackez mee luk soo smurt :crazy: