• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Diving

Rate this topic

Hmm.

I see an elbow to the head. Semin had just turned with the puck, and the puck slipped off his stick. He had looked back to pick it up, and was leaning back. Leblanc came flying in and nailed him with an elbow to the head. Semin was practically at a standstill due to losing the puck and trying to regain it, so he was a sitting duck. A guy who dives taking a headshot is not the same thing as a dive.

Hmm.

I see an elbow to the head. Semin had just turned with the puck, and the puck slipped off his stick. He had looked back to pick it up, and was leaning back. Leblanc came flying in and nailed him with an elbow to the head. Semin was practically at a standstill due to losing the puck and trying to regain it, so he was a sitting duck. A guy who dives taking a headshot is not the same thing as a dive.

you high? that is not what is shown in this vid. and to the last comment, you're right, it is worse than a normal dive because now the guy making the hit risks getting suspended for a long time. Luckily for Leblanc, Semin's diving isn't in mid-season form yet.

Edited by jollymania

Semin is a disgrace.

It looked like his elbow might have grazed him in the neck or shoulder area, but that hardly looked like a headshot.

It's not more of a problem than head hits, but it definitely makes me worry for things to come, given Abby's flop and now this.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I understand that you're just trying to provoke, but I'm bored so I'll play along. What's your answer if I say that while diving is ugly and childish it has never ended anyone's career?

no, but it is prevalent in all nhl games whereas guy's careers being ended by head hits is limited to maybe 1 or 2 players a decade. The amount of diving probably outnumbers the amount of head hits about 1,000 to 1

If guys are going to start diving to get a player suspended, just call diving penalties.

Done and done.

i agree, but diving penalties aren't called in the nhl, especially not on plays like this and on top of that the nhl does not review dives.

Edited by jollymania

you high? that is not what is shown in this vid. and to the last comment, you're right, it is worse than a normal dive because now the guy making the hit risks getting suspended for a long time. Luckily for Leblanc, Semin's diving isn't in mid-season form yet.

If you hit a guy in the head, it shouldn't matter whether the other guy dives and stays on the ice or even if he doesn't go down at all. Hitting someone in the head is what gets you suspended, not someone diving.

Semin is a disgrace.

It looked like his elbow might have grazed him in the neck or shoulder area, but that hardly looked like a headshot.

It's not more of a problem than head hits, but it definitely makes me worry for things to come, given Abby's flop and now this.

Start the vid at 1:45 and watch the slow-mo at the end. It's pretty clear that he was elbowed in the head, and that is what took him down. He was curling around when he was hit, so his center of gravity was off. When Leblanc hit him, it knocked him off his skates because he was already so off-balance in that position. Had Leblanc hit him shoulder-to-shoulder, it might have looked like a really nice hit. But he elbowed him in the head.

no, but it is prevalent in all nhl games whereas guy's careers being ended by head hits is limited to maybe 1 or 2 players a decade. The amount of diving probably outnumbers the amount of head hits about 1,000 to 1

Guys who have played the majority of their career after 1990, but ended early due to concussions largely due to head hits:

Keith Primeau. Eric Lindros. Derek Boogaard. Mike Richter. Geoff Courtnall. Dave Scatchard. Matthew Barnaby. Scott Stevens. Adam Deadmarsh. Marc Savard? Sidney Crosby?

I guess that does work out to 1 or 2 per decade. But only if you have had a few concussions.

i agree, but diving penalties aren't called in the nhl, especially not on plays like this and on top of that the nhl does not review dives.

This play didn't warrant a diving penalty. Leblanc was skating full on and elbowed him in the head from the blind side. If Leblanc had not stuck his elbow out and tried to get his head, and Semin still fell like that, then call the dive. But that's not what happened.

If you hit a guy in the head, it shouldn't matter whether the other guy dives and stays on the ice or even if he doesn't go down at all. Hitting someone in the head is what gets you suspended, not someone diving.

Start the vid at 1:45 and watch the slow-mo at the end. It's pretty clear that he was elbowed in the head, and that is what took him down. He was curling around when he was hit, so his center of gravity was off. When Leblanc hit him, it knocked him off his skates because he was already so off-balance in that position. Had Leblanc hit him shoulder-to-shoulder, it might have looked like a really nice hit. But he elbowed him in the head.

the elbow didn't even get near his head, it grazed the shoulder maybe

Guys who have played the majority of their career after 1990, but ended early due to concussions largely due to head hits:

Keith Primeau. Eric Lindros. Derek Boogaard. Mike Richter. Geoff Courtnall. Dave Scatchard. Matthew Barnaby. Scott Stevens. Adam Deadmarsh. Marc Savard? Sidney Crosby?

I guess that does work out to 1 or 2 per decade. But only if you have had a few concussions.

This play didn't warrant a diving penalty. Leblanc was skating full on and elbowed him in the head from the blind side. If Leblanc had not stuck his elbow out and tried to get his head, and Semin still fell like that, then call the dive. But that's not what happened.

unless they are sean avery payers don't dive if they don't have anything to dive for. In this case he knew it he could dive to make it look like he got hit in the head. Your argument has to be one of the least thought-out i have ever heard.

the elbow didn't even get near his head, it grazed the shoulder maybe

unless they are sean avery payers don't dive if they don't have anything to dive for. In this case he knew it he could dive to make it look like he got hit in the head. Your argument has to be one of the least thought-out i have ever heard.

Watch the replays at around 0:30. He takes the elbow in the left side of the head as he's looking back to his right.

FYI, last season there was a reported, 80 concussions in the NHL regular season, and that's just reported. And that doesn't include playoffs when the intensity is that much higher.

They need to do something about head shots because more guys are going to have problems like Crosby is facing now. Plus there's the low quality of life they'll face when their careers are over with all the stress their brain has experienced when they played.

I think with all the head shots, parents won't allow their kids to play hockey, and we'll lose out on a generation of great hockey players.

Think long term...

And that's only big named players. The list probably doubles or triples when you include mid to low level players.

Watch the replays at around 0:30. He takes the elbow in the left side of the head as he's looking back to his right.

I see that, but I just don't know how hard he gets hit. The refs both have their hands up to indicate a penalty. Lets put it this way, the dive Thornton did when Franzen hit him the shin pad in the playoffs was easy to see. This isn't.

Definitely a weak call. The only thing Leblanc did was get the elbow up, but I'm not sure it even made contact, and if it did, sure doesn't look like it did anything. If it did hit his head, you would see his neck move more, he threw his whole body the opposite direction. Complete flop. Not to mention Semin changed his positioning immediately before and simultaneously as the hit was delivered, placing the onus on him and not the hitter.

Having said that, diving isn't a bigger issue than head shots. That's just asinine.

Edited by rrasco

Definitely a weak call. The only thing Leblanc did was get the elbow up, but I'm not sure it even made contact, and if it did, sure doesn't look like it did anything. If it did hit his head, you would see his neck move more, he threw his whole body the opposite direction. Complete flop. Not to mention Semin changed his positioning immediately before and simultaneously as the hit was delivered, placing the onus on him and not the hitter.

I'm not sure where you get the neck movement thing. This wasn't a "drive my car into the wall" collision. It was more like a bounce pass in basketball. Leblanc's angle of approach was not that different than the actual alignment of Semin's body. As for Semin going to the ice; he had just curled around at full speed receiving a pass, and was hit during this process and thrown off his skates. His body goes sideways towards the boards because of a little thing called centrifugal motion.

Keith Primeau

I guess that does work out to 1 or 2 per decade. But only if you have had a few concussions.[

he's probably the only one that got it just form being banged up too much.

Lindros brought it upon himself, richter is a goalie, deadarch got it form a fight, as did barnaby

Courtnall and Stevens were big hitters, they never recieved and major big hits as far as i know.

Boogaard was a fighter and his career didn't end early because of a concussion you dumbass.

Savard was hit illegally.

Crosby was in an accidental collision.

lame examples.